What would you do?

magandanae

Ok I am torn. DH and I booked an inside guarantee on Liberty Sept 20th for $529 pp. Now I see I can get upgraded from a 4A to a 4C putting me on the Upper Deck. Is it worth the extra $50pp just to move up a few decks? Our first cruise we were on the main deck and didn't mind one bit, as we spend very little time in our room.

2nd question is my BF and her roommate are going w/ us and they can't get the upgrade since they are not past guest. Which is totally understandable. However they "linked" our reservations I'm assuming to attempt to place us on the same deck and for dinner seating. Do you think if I choose an Upper that they would as well get an upper to keep us close?

I called in to Carnival yesterday and was very very close to making the change but at the last minute decided that the upgrade fairy may put us on a higher deck and why pay more when we have completely paid off our cruise. Hmmmm decisions decisions. Any feedback would be helpful! Thanks guys!:)

Honestly, I think I'd just leave things the way they are. You have already paid for your cruise and you're satisfied with your current cabin level. If the cruise fairy decides to upgrade you, then it's like an extra gift! Save your money for your S & S and excursions!! :D

I never count on the upgrade fairy. I probably wouldn't spend $100 just to move up a deck or two. To me an inside is an inside. Really it's your call because it is your money. What's a hundred to you?

As far as your cruise friends you can both get the discount if you split the cabins. You and BF in one cabin and DH and roommate in the other. Of course you don't have to sleep there and there is a little sorting out of what charges go to what room but that is simple.

We cruised recently with a couple who didn't qualify for past guest discounts. Our PVP set the reservations up so that DW and I were in different rooms to get both cabins the discount. As we were boarding, we switched everything back. It really wasn't a big deal.

Hope you have fun.

I'd probably stay. I got upgraded from a 1a to a 4d on this cruise. How much are you going to have to pay for the upgrade? Yesterday I paid $60pp to upgrade from the 4d inside to a 6d balcony. To me that was worth it.

I never count on the upgrade fairy. I probably wouldn't spend $100 just to move up a deck or two. To me an inside is an inside. Really it's your call because it is your money. What's a hundred to you?

As far as your cruise friends you can both get the discount if you split the cabins. You and BF in one cabin and DH and roommate in the other. Of course you don't have to sleep there and there is a little sorting out of what charges go to what room but that is simple.

We cruised recently with a couple who didn't qualify for past guest discounts. Our PVP set the reservations up so that DW and I were in different rooms to get both cabins the discount. As we were boarding, we switched everything back. It really wasn't a big deal.

Hope you have fun.

Awww that is very smart! Thanks for the idea! I will have to see if my BF wants to do that. It's the same exact cost as what they already paid $579 pp since they booked after us so I don't think she'd mine.

I'd probably stay. I got upgraded from a 1a to a 4d on this cruise. How much are you going to have to pay for the upgrade? Yesterday I paid $60pp to upgrade from the 4d inside to a 6d balcony. To me that was worth it.

It would be $50pp. I have been stalking the decks to see what is avail on lower decks gaging if I think they may have to bump me up to a higher level. I'm assuming Carnival fills avail slots on lower decks for those people that choose those decks and then the guarantee people like myself fill the slots after everyone has "picked" their rooms. With those assumptions I would think they would be more apt to move a returning guest on a higher deck than a newbie. Who knows I'm trying to figure out the placement game.

I would think they would be more apt to move a returning guest on a higher deck than a newbie. Who knows I'm trying to figure out the placement game.

I am not sure that is a valid assumption. Iv heard that some times they upgrade a brand new cruiser more than cruisers who are already hooked and cruise more. Others say they think one of the prime considerations is how much you paid. Your friends paid more, which could bump them up. No one knows but it is likely they will try to get you both on the same deck.

The advantage to picking your cabins on upper deck would be that you could get cabins closer together. If you dont care, then I wouldnt pay the extra money. You could very well both wind up there even without paying the extra money. If you paid extra to upgrade and pick your cabin and your friends didnt and they get a free upgrade to a higher deck than yours, you would feel it was money wasted.

We used the past guest rate to get the upgrade to a 4C because we both do better with a midship cabin and this way we could pick our cabin and knew that we were midship. We had a forward cabin last time and I wouldn't care to do that again!

Unless motion is a real issue and it is imperative that you choose your cabin midship, I would say to save the money. An inside is an inside is an inside. The only difference is the negligible ease of getting to the upper cabins. Nothing an elevator can't take care of.

Also, if you keep your guaranteed status, you may even get bumped to an OV. Save your money for DOD!

I wouldn't do it. Spend the extra $100 elsewhere!

We book insides also, and because they have no windows, I like to be as low as possible to diminish the rocking & rolling. I hate when the ship rocks a lot and I can't see outside. It makes me dizzy.

I am not sure that is a valid assumption. Iv heard that some times they upgrade a brand new cruiser more than cruisers who are already hooked and cruise more. Others say they think one of the prime considerations is how much you paid. Your friends paid more, which could bump them up. No one knows but it is likely they will try to get you both on the same deck.

The advantage to picking your cabins on upper deck would be that you could get cabins closer together. If you dont care, then I wouldnt pay the extra money. You could very well both wind up there even without paying the extra money. If you paid extra to upgrade and pick your cabin and your friends didnt and they get a free upgrade to a higher deck than yours, you would feel it was money wasted.

I guess that's why they are assumptions! LOL! What I would give you work one day in the dept that assigns cabins and find out how everything works! :p

I guess that's why they are assumptions! LOL! What I would give you work one day in the dept that assigns cabins and find out how everything works! :p

Then you would have to sign a contract not to tell anyone, lol. I had to sign something when I worked for a credit card company like that. I know things I cant tell for 5 years after I quit or something like that.

.... or they would just have to kill you to keep it secret.

Then you would have to sign a contract not to tell anyone, lol. I had to sign something when I worked for a credit card company like that. I know things I cant tell for 5 years after I quit or something like that.

.... or they would just have to kill you to keep it secret.

I worked for a credit card and I now work for a cell phone company so I totally get what your saying! Although depending on the circumstances I do tell secrets! :p

They are trying to get money for something you will probably get for free. If it was to move from inside to ocean view, then okay but not to switch decks. Each time I booked a guarantee, I automatically was assigned several decks higher.

NCL from 4A to 4J

CCL from 8A to 8E extended balcony.

Don't pay extra.

They are trying to get money for something you will probably get for free. If it was to move from inside to ocean view, then okay but not to switch decks. Each time I booked a guarantee, I automatically was assigned several decks higher.

NCL from 4A to 4J

CCL from 8A to 8E extended balcony.

Don't pay extra.

Ok I talked to DH and my BF and we decided to stick w/ what we got! Thanks for all the advice and I am going to continue to watch for any upgrades that would be truely worth it. That $100 will buy a lot of DOD's!!:D

Ok I am torn. DH and I booked an inside guarantee on Liberty Sept 20th for $529 pp. Now I see I can get upgraded from a 4A to a 4C putting me on the Upper Deck. Is it worth the extra $50pp just to move up a few decks? Our first cruise we were on the main deck and didn't mind one bit, as we spend very little time in our room.

2nd question is my BF and her roommate are going w/ us and they can't get the upgrade since they are not past guest. Which is totally understandable. However they "linked" our reservations I'm assuming to attempt to place us on the same deck and for dinner seating. Do you think if I choose an Upper that they would as well get an upper to keep us close?

I called in to Carnival yesterday and was very very close to making the change but at the last minute decided that the upgrade fairy may put us on a higher deck and why pay more when we have completely paid off our cruise. Hmmmm decisions decisions. Any feedback would be helpful! Thanks guys!:)

If you were moving to an OV or a balcony then it would be different but there is no real need that I can see to move decks on an inside cabin, besides, if it is rocky lower tends to ride better.

I see people mentioning that there are promo offers to upgrade or OBC ect.. where do you find that info ? I check the Carnival site frequently and can't seem to find out what if any deals they have

We are sailing Miracle ( again) in a guaranty 8B Balcony 9/30/08

Archived