Help With Chankanaab

munchkin4

We are seriously considering Chankanaab in our visit to Cozumel in September. I have found several packages but am unsure of what to do, so I'd like to hear from those of you who have visited Chankanaab. We won't do the dolphin thing but would like to snorkel, lay on the beach, etc. I understand the beach is man made so that you can have the best of both worlds.

Do they have snorkel tours inside the park? About how much are they and do you see alot? How many restaurants and approximate prices? How much are drinks? What all is included in the $16 entrance--activity wise? Do they have other water sport activities like jet skiis or parasailing?

I am curious to know whether we'd be better off booking a package through a private excursion group or through Chankanaab (meals can be included and times are flexible) or if we should just go to the park on our own. It is just the 2 of us, ages 48 & 51.

Thanks for all the help!!

We are seriously considering Chankanaab in our visit to Cozumel in September. I have found several packages but am unsure of what to do, so I'd like to hear from those of you who have visited Chankanaab. We won't do the dolphin thing but would like to snorkel, lay on the beach, etc. I understand the beach is man made so that you can have the best of both worlds.

Do they have snorkel tours inside the park?

I don't know, but snorkeling from shore there is pretty easy. Most people just go on their own from shore there. You can rent gear there in the park at one of the 4 on-site dive shops.

About how much are they and do you see a lot? How many restaurants and approximate prices? How much are drinks? What all is included in the $16 entrance--activity wise? Do they have other water sport activities like jet skiis or parasailing?
They don't have motorized water sports there as they wouldn't be very snorkeling friendly. The rest your questions might be answered by the Official Chankanaab website

I am curious to know whether we'd be better off booking a package through a private excursion group or through Chankanaab (meals can be included and times are flexible) or if we should just go to the park on our own. It is just the 2 of us, ages 48 & 51.
I didn't know there was a tour that took you there. I thought people just took a taxi there, payed the $16 admission charge (coupon available on the official website BTW).

Which tour operators offer tours there?
You don't need to take a tour to go to Chankanaab, just a taxi. Be sure to agree to the fare before you get in the taxi and try to have exact change. There will be taxi's waiting for you when you are ready to leave the park.

Do they have snorkel tours inside the park? About how much are they and do you see alot? How many restaurants and approximate prices? How much are drinks? What all is included in the $16 entrance--activity wise? Do they have other water sport activities like jet skiis or parasailing?

Thanks for all the help!!

We went to Chankanaab January 2008. We were on a cruise for my mom's 70th birthday. We wanted to snorkel but she did not, so this worked for all of us. We just took a cab on our own (5 of us - about $15 total each way). There are plenty available. Then it cost $16 ea to get in the park. Two of us paid $28 ea and that included buy one get one free drinks and snorkel gear. Snorkeling is right off of the beach. They also have bathrooms and showers. We had a guide walk us through the park explaining about the Mayan culture and all of the different plants,(he was very nice and knowledgable- my mom liked this) we also tried tortillias with a special sauce a lady was making by hand in a little hut-yummy! and then we snorkeled and hung out on the beach on nice wooden lounge chairs under nice palapas(thatched roofs). There are always cabs available when you are ready to go. We got back in time to do some shopping and have a drink before boarding. It was a great day and no excursion planning needed.

jmpashworth

Archived