Whittier to Anchorage. Time to stop in Seward?

MJWisconsin

I am renting a car in Whittier (at a considerable cost but I like to be in control) to travel up to Anchorage after departing the ship.

I would like to make a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Center.

I would also like to drive down to Seward (which I am told is lovely) and go to the sealife center.

Then drive up to Alaska and make a 9:30 pm Flight.

Is this to ambitious? Is there enough time to make the drive or not? Would I have to cut out the Wildlife and or Sealife center or just skip Seward all together?

Any suggestions would be helpful

It is doable, but if there's any accidents on the highway, it could be closed for up to 3 hours or more.

The Wildlife Center is about 15 miles from Whittier

Whittier to Seward is about 1 1/2 drive.

Seward to Anchorage is about a 2 1/2 drive.

For a 9:30pm flight you'll probably want to be there around 7:30 - 8pm. So you would need to leave Seward no later than 5 pm.

You would want to be out of Whittier, no later than the 9am tunnel.

I am renting a car in Whittier (at a considerable cost but I like to be in control) to travel up to Anchorage after departing the ship.

I would like to make a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Center.

I would also like to drive down to Seward (which I am told is lovely) and go to the sealife center.

Then drive up to Alaska and make a 9:30 pm Flight.

Is this to ambitious? Is there enough time to make the drive or not? Would I have to cut out the Wildlife and or Sealife center or just skip Seward all together?

Any suggestions would be helpful

I haven't been yet, but have been busy planning and I would say it is too ambitious. I think you would be in a situation of "not being able to stop and smell the flowers." There are really a lot of stops you can make along the way from Whittier to Anchorage. Here is a great link. It starts in Anchorage and goes to Whittier, so you need to look at it in reverse.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

What day are you wanting to do this? That can make a bit of difference with traffic but overall, yes, very doable.

What time does Avis open? 8am? 7-7:30 would be even better with making the 8am tunnel. Whittier is very small so it won't take more than 5 mins to drive to the tunnel.

Based on the 9am tunnel out...

9:15 arrive at the conservation center. 30 mins is a long time for me driving through there. Usually it takes me about 20 mins max but you could spend more time ( which you don't have much of) wandering around and taking pictures.

10am -1.5 hours for the drive to Seward so it's around 11:30, eat lunch

1-2 hours at the Sealife Center.

2pm and there's still enough time to hit a quick walk out to Exit Glacier if desired or more time at the Sealife Center/ wander through a store or two downtown/ could possibly even squeeze in a dog sled ride or a more leisurely drive up to Anc.

4pm head to Anc with a couple of quick stops along the way arriving 7pm. (Can be driven in 2 hours with no stops, no delays but I always allow 2.5 hrs.)

The road is good condition. At least 1/2 of it 65mph with some double lanes/passing lanes. A 2 mile stretch through Moose Pass is 35 mph and the remainder 55mph. You will want to slow down on some curves. (and to take pictures)

Enjoy the scenery! :)

I would actually allow 3 hours, plus a two hour window at the Anchorage airport. These are first timers, it's easy to cut time when you drive it all the time and don't have to think where you are going.

In my opinion, I would never go to Seward just for the Sealife Center. I think allowing time along the Arm would be a very scenic day and then head north and drive Hatcher Pass.

Archived