ACCL GRANDE CARIBE - July/2008

Love Cruises

Are there any Cruise Critic members going on the GRANDE CARIBE on July 6th or July 12th. We will be going on both of these trips. The first from Warren, RI to Portland, ME. The second round trip Portland, ME up to coast of Maine. Would love to have a meet and greet if anyone is taking either one of these cruises. Let us know!

• 2 weeks later...

We are planing a Great Lakes cruise NEXT year. Since we have never used Accl, we are concerned about it. I have read a few comments their the ships(Grande Mariner). The critic said had very small cabins, noisey and not much to do. What was your experience? Do you have any advice that would help us choose a cabin type or location?

We are planing a Great Lakes cruise NEXT year. Since we have never used Accl, we are concerned about it. I have read a few comments their the ships(Grande Mariner). The critic said had very small cabins, noisey and not much to do. What was your experience? Do you have any advice that would help us choose a cabin type or location?

Hi pearl of the sea!

We have been on the ACCL Grande Mariner twice now ... once the cruise from Chicago, IL to Warren, RI and secondly from Jacksonsville, FL to Warren, RI. We always book an inside cabin since we like to go on a few cruises a year. The ship rooms are quite small with a continental shower which is a curtain that goes around the space between the toilet and sink. There is no door on the bathrooms just the curtain. The inside rooms we have reserved have not been noisey just the regular sounds of of a ship creaking and such but some people who have reserved rooms in back of the kitchen complained about the engine noise.

Cruising on ACCL is very layed back which we like. The people on our two trips so far have been very friendly. In the evenings they sometimes have local entertainers come in or people who will talk about the area you are cruising in. Other nights they may put a video in the HD TV. Mostly, by 9:00 pm it is pretty quiet on board. People tend to get up very early. We are night people and have to change our ways when we are on board ACCL. Breakfast is served at 8:00 am sharp and after that the girls who are the servers go about cleaning the cabins. Sometimes, if we do not go on a tour, my husband will go back for a few zzzzz's. There is usually only one tour for the whole ship when you are in a port. They are quite reasonable in price and cover the basics of the area you are in. Lunch is served at 12:00 noon and dinner at 6:00 pm. The food is exceptional! All homemade breads, cookies, etc. You just want to make a meal of the bread and soup sometimes.

We really enjoy this cruiseline. We are going on the Grande Caribe in 2 weeks for a back to back and then have reserved two more trips next year on the Niagara Prince (see the itineraries below).

Hope you sign up for their Great Lakes trip and let us know what you think!

• 4 weeks later...

The ships are basic,

Steel Camp cots for beds, metal file cabinet for clothes no lock on the door when you are not in your cabin, a hook & eye type when you are.

If you are on deck 2 same as Kitchen it is very noisy ...take earplugs

No door on bathroom .....for the money you can get & nicer cruise elsewhere

We spent less money for a 12 day Oceania cruise than for ACCL

The only good thing is the food ...if Andy is the cook it is good basic food

I would check out another cruiseline

1327209629_July2006Trip166.jpg.a15d2003e736f07a343ace085645e974.jpg

Archived