Questions for those just off the Crown

With such a late sail away, (8:00) how does dinner work the first night? When is the muster drill conducted? Seems it might conflict with dinner as not all would be aboard by first seating so they wouldn't want to hold the drill until later.

I would also like to know what time embarkation begins. Did you do some sightseeing before you went to the ship? We arrive a day early and are trying to plan our time in Copenhagen.

We were on the May 20 sailing of the Crown Princess.

We flew into CPH 2 days early and did more sightseeing the day of our sailing....We took a cab to the ship and boarded without any lines at approx 4 PM. The muster drill was held shortly after we boarded....at 5:15 PM.

There was also a "late embarking passenger drill" at 9 AM the next morning (a day at sea) for all who missed the original muster drill.

The port is some distance from the city center, so I would suggest finishing up all your sightseeing before heading for the ship.

We are still suffering from jet lag.....

Jolynn--the Copenhagen Mariott was just wonderful. Took a cab from the airport 181KK, checked in and took a nap. Walked over to Tivoli and strolled Stroget after afterwards. Very good location.

The Crown was the largest ship we were on and like Madonna says, it is too big. We hardly saw any of our group after the meet and greet.

For anyone wondering about departing the ship in St. Petersburg, it is absolutely no problem. There was no hassel, no delay, nothing. Princess's letter is merely an intimidation. We took the 2 day DenRus value tour; it was the best--far surpassed our expectations. They have added a ride on the Metro which we thoroughly enjoyed. After talking to several people who booked the ships tours, they wished they had done what we did. They complained about 48 people on a bus, groups not staying together, not being able to hear the guide, etc. They paid over $130 plus dollars more too.

Our weather was great, even Oslo, where DH finally donned his shorts. Every port was wonderful.

We did take one ship's shore excursion though, the Solidarity Roads to Freedom in Gdansk Poland. It was very good and so educational from beginning to end (but too many on the bus which is typical).

May I also recommend that if you have a late flight, take the 4 hr tour through Copenhagen and Droeger fishing village, ending at the airport. It was charming and sure beat spending all day at the airport.

Good luck, enjoy the cruise, but be prepared for the masses, we had 3200 passengers---you have to go very early to get a seat at the evening shows.

OregonDuck

I appreciate the info on the drill times. That will leave me plenty of time to get to dinner.

I was wondering how the hotel worked out and if there were any probelems because we all are using Priceline. I will probably be on the same schedule as you since I arrive 2 days early and yes, I have a late flight and have signed up for the same Copenhagen tour for post cruise. I figured even if I had seem some of the things on my own pre cruise, it beat the airport and provided transportation.

As for St. P's I was going to do the Denrus or even Alla tour since most of my CC members are doing that, but I'm just getting over a serious illness so have had to really curtail what I do tour wise. The two days of 9 hours touring full on would be too much for me physically so I opted for a one day with Catherine's and a shorter day at the Hermitage for day two. It was a hard decision but I have to take it easy. At least I can still go.

Did you do Tallinn on your own? I have a walking tour that looks nice.

Glad you had such a great time. I am so excited!!!

Hi

We will be joining ALLa tour at SP on Sept1/2. There are 2 posts which indicate that disembarking at SP for non-Princess tour passengers is not a problem. Would you please elaborate ? Did you just walk up to the gangway when the ship docked or do you still have to get a number coupon and wait for your number to be called (Princess usual procedure for independent travelers) thanks

Also, appreciate if anyone has an answer to the earlier question about getting taxi at 7.00 a.m. when disembarking at Copenhagen.

thanks

This is what HRHMadonna had to say over on the Princess board. She just got back from the Crown Princess

There was absolutely no problem for passengers who had booked private tours....We went down and waited for the gangway to open and were among the very first passengers off of the boat.

The only thing that slowed us down a bit was that there were about 8 lines at kiosks for us to pass through Russian immigration. Princess had signs posted at 7 of the kiosks stating "Passengers with Princess Shore Excursions Only". The 8th and last kiosk to the far right said: "Passengers with Visas & Independent Tours" (or words to that effect). Anyway, as you can imagine, the independent tours line moved slowly because we were all in one line. Even at that, we were out and in the DenRus van right on time....and still ahead of many of the Princess excursion folks. Now on day 2 I was just curious to see what would happen if I walked up to one of the "Princess Only" lines...I did just that....they stamped my passport & waved me on through. I don't know if that would work every time, but it sure worked for me on Day 2.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an update. Two nighs before the ship returns to CPH, we received our baggage tags telling us the time they have scheduled us to leave the ship. Everyone was to leave their room by 8:00AM, go to the dining room and wait for their group to be called.We were not signed up with the ship's transfer so they scheduled us to leave with the last group, at 9:45AM. Since our flight was scheduled to leave at 10AM, we were told by an experienced cruiser to call the front desk to say that our flight left at 9:30AM . We then got new baggage tags scheduling us to depart the ship at 6:30AM.

The morning of departure, we walked off at 6:30AM, did not go to any dining room to wait to be called and everything was fine. Found our luggage and there were plenty of taxis at 6:30AM.

Since we were 2 couples and there wasn't a station wagon taxi available, a van taxi took us to the airport. The final fare from pier to airport was DKK495. The driver did not take credit card even though the back of seats had a sign that said they accepted credit cards. We felt we were grossly overcharged since the station wagon taxi that took all of us to the pier from Marriott Hotel only charged us DKK117 and others have reported they paid DKK300 for the same trip. I am wondering if there was a surcharge for this van which had seats for 7 people.

Beware that taking a van taxi is costly.

The information above agrees with our experience on the May 30 cruise. We did a Copenhagen sightseeing tour in the morning and then went out to the ship in the early afternoon, in time for a late lunch at the buffet. The taxis in Copenhagen do take credit cards (check when you get in).

I will note, however, that in St P those who waited at the gangway to try to get off the ship early found a pretty long line in the drizzling rain. We went to the designated restaurant, got Gangway Passes and waited til our group was called about 8 AM, and we just walked down the dock to a line with fewer than a dozen people in it and were through immigration in 5 minutes. IMHO Princess is inexcusable with the scare stories they put out, but I also think the tour companies are trying to scare pax the other way. Just going with the system worked very well for us.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/baltic.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike, our June 9th Crown cruise disembarkation in St. Petersburg was a total fiasco. The independent tour groups were not alowed through immigration till well past 9AM. Alla told me she's never seen it that bad. Again, Princess gave first preference to large tour groups (we had 8 separate large tour groups, one group exceeded 200 members) and kept the independent tour members including Alla, Denrus groups waiting till the very last.

The van taxis had a sign that said it would take credit cards but our driver refused.

Hi, I was on the Crown June 9th sailing and we had no problems disembarking for our private tour w/ Alla. Princess tried to tell everyone to goto their assigned waiting area to be called off the ship. We just walked off right before any of the Princess tours and the large group that was on our ship (I think westcoastmom mentioned them). We used the Princess excurision line to have our passports stamped-it doesn't matter. The immigration officers do not care. Basically you have to be fearless-they can't hold you against your will.

Our little group was fearless, we ignored Princess' request of meeting in the dining room to wait to be called. We walked off the gangway at 6:45 AM and we were among the first people to get past immigration. Alas, the rest of our group (we joined Alla's complete tour of St. Petersburg) were dutiful and last members of our excursion group came out past 9AM. We had been waiting on the bus for 2 hours for them. Meanwhile they had been waiting in the dining room to be called since 6:15AM !!

There are usually 2 gangways to disembark, aft and mid ship and on Deck 4. The most efficient way is try to gather all members of your excursion group to meet up at the gangway. We found the aft gangway to be less crowded. Yes, there is a restroom in the immigration building, just ask your tour guide. Good luck.

We stayed at the Marriott in Copenhagen in the Executive Class. We got appetizers and drinks in the evening and a very nice breakfast in the morning. The location is very convenient and walkable to Tivoli. With $8.00 US equivalent for ice cream cones, this proved to be a good value for the money. Princess had a shuttle from the hotel but we elected to take a taxi since there were four of us. Hope you have a great time!!!

Archived