Which line is best?

hockeymadhockey

We want to do another European river cruise summer 2009. Which is the best? The things we need to consider are: cabins, food, excursions and, most importantly, accessibility. My mother is 77 and has bad knees. My father is also 77 and in great shape. I need to figure out who can help with my mother (rides into town or some type of transportation). Also because of this, she stays on the ship alot and I want to make sure she isn't bored. Who has televisions, DVD, cards, etc-on board amusements?

I have to split my time with the two of them and I want to make sure when one is alone they are okay so any help is appreciated. Thank you, EW

Search this site! This topic has been covered many, many times in recent months!:rolleyes:

Where? I have never read about river cruises and their accessibility. If you could please tell the rest of us where we can find that information. I tried the search thing, but it lots of answers, but the search spits out lots of words, without alot of help.

Thank you for the little information. Have some of you actually read the information. It is extremely general. My mind wants specifics, ie: which cruise lines you have been on, what they have offered, do they have elevators (I realize I can look on the brochures but remember the Viking Sky has an elevator but, surprise it doesn't reach all floors)-specifics are rarely provided in any blogs I have read. Plus there are hundreds of blogs and that is why I posted now.

It sounds like I should start my own website because I give specifics on the one and only river cruise I took on the Viking Sky.

So those of you who would like to know intimately about that ship, let me know.

By the way the reason it's necessary is planning. Some of you, although well intentioned, have not had to deal with older people or you are able bodied and don't understand the little things involved. Keep in mind it is a whole different world, ie: I look at a chair too low to the ground and I automatically think, "my mother could never get out of that", I look at the ramps and think "I must walk my mom down this ramp because there is no way she could get down on her own". These are specifics in someone who deals daily with a less than abled person and these are what we want to know when we ask these questions.

Thank you for your responses. EW

My experiences have been with a quite severely disabled husband (age 91 and 92) on two Grand Circle cruises. He loved to travel, as do I, and we weren't about to let infermity keep us home. So do know what you are saying.

The first cruise was during July of 2004 on the River Melody, "Great Rivers of Europe" from Amsterdam to Vienna. We booked our own air, and arrived in Brussels and took the train to A'dam. There was a ramp to take the wheelchair onto the train. The train station was a short block from where the ship was docked, and I managed my husband in his wheelchair, two large suitcases and two carry-on bags that block to the ship with no major problems.

The ship had a lift from the main level to the sun roof, as well as an elevator from the entry level and lounge area to the level where our cabin, and also the dining room was located. We had a balcony cabin, the wheelchair fit into the cabin, but my husband had to take about two steps to use the balcony. He also had to walk into the bathroom, which was not wheelchair accessible. Other than that, we were able to negotiate the chair throughout the ship.

As for shore excursions, there was one castle that we could not visit, and one winde cellar. as they involved a number of stairs. But we got into all of the churches, museums etc. I was able to push the chair on all of the walking tours, although there were a few occasions when we set off on our own, because we wanted to. We skipped the optional tour to Rothenburg, because we had been there several times before, and instead explored the small non-touristy town where the ship docked. After we left the cruise in Vienna, we took the train (eurail) to London where we spent three days before flying home from Brussels. It was a marvelous experience.

The second trip, on the Rhine and Mosel, was on the ship, Debussy, also Grand Circle, from Antwerp to Basel. It, too, was enjoyable. I don't know what the previous poster means by specifics. I certainly do understand the many complexities that probably don't even occur to the average able bodied person. Looking for the "handicapped symbol" not always prominently displayed, the place where it's possible to cross the street with a wheelchair, ramps vs. stairs, cobblestones vs. smooth sidewalks etc etc etc.

My husband enjoyed both of these trips so much. He passed away a couple of months after the last cruise. I'm so glad we went because I have pictures and memories of the two of us that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I've posted numerous times on this board, and also on "Disabled Cruising" over the years. If you have other questions, I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Karen Hahn

Archived