Looking to take our 2 year and 51 week onld on a cruise? HAL, PRINCESS or RCCL?

dogsambam

First question, our child will be one week shy of her third birthday when we are planning a trip. The reaction from the cruise lines about if the kids club will allow her to participate is "it all depends" Has anyone experienced this situation? I do not want to plan this trip and then be told that she cannot particiate. We are over 80 day sailors with Holland America, and Platinum with both RCCL and Princess.

Which line has the best kids program if it turns out she is able to participate?

First question, our child will be one week shy of her third birthday when we are planning a trip. The reaction from the cruise lines about if the kids club will allow her to participate is "it all depends" Has anyone experienced this situation? I do not want to plan this trip and then be told that she cannot particiate. We are over 80 day sailors with Holland America, and Platinum with both RCCL and Princess.

Which line has the best kids program if it turns out she is able to participate?

As long as she is potty trained, she should be able to participate in the "Princess Pelicans" for three to seven years olds. Some of their activities include:

Arts and crafts

Discos

Movies and Cartoons

Exclusive Kids Only Dining

Video Games

Edutainment Programs

Scavenger Hunts

Karaoke and talent shows

Afternoon Ice Cream Parties

Pizza Parties

Hall of Fame Tournaments

Shipboard Olympics

T-Shirt Coloring

Pajama Parties

Theme parties

Double check with Princess Customer Service. I wouldn't think one week would make that much of a difference. If she is not completely potty trained, they may give you a pager for diaper changes. Check it out.

I would say to wait a week, seriously. I went on RCCL to celebrate my youngest's 3rd bday. We sailed the day AFTER her actual bday just to make sure we didn't run into any problems like you are describing.

They *could* say she's not allowed into the kids club.

And if she's not 100% potty trained (I know you didn't say one way or another), then go on Princess.

Typically the minimum age for the kid's club on a line is governed by the line's insurance coverage -- so in many cases there is little or no leaway on the minimum age for participation in the club. Wait the week or cruise a line with a 2YO minimum age.

If you must sail that week and not the week after, and those are the only 3 lines to choose from, I'd go with RCCL because they offer babysitting. But I agree with the others about waiting a week if you can, or choosing NCL or Carnival because they allow kids 2 and up.

Typically the minimum age for the kid's club on a line is governed by the line's insurance coverage -- so in many cases there is little or no leaway on the minimum age for participation in the club. Wait the week or cruise a line with a 2YO minimum age.

I agree. We've cruised Princess several times, but our youngest was 4 when we started so I never tested the age limit. We love their kids program, but I've always heard they're very strict about the 3 year old requirement. If by "participate" you mean can she play in the Fun Zone while you stay there to supervise, then yes she can. But if by "participate" you mean can you leave her there while you go elsewhere on the ship, then I think the answer is not until she's reached her 3rd birthday. If you want some kid-free time, then I'd choose a line that permits 2 year olds to remain without parents in the kids program, or a line that has in cabin babysitting.

--Junglejane

I would also do RCCL or Celebrity for the in-room babysitting. We were able to participate on Celebrity with our 51 week old (he turned one just three days after the cruise ended). It was so nice to go out in the evenings while he slept back in the room with a sitter for only $8/hour.

Celebrity also had neat "treasure chests" that you can check out from the kids club and bring back to your room for the entire length of the cruise. They are filled with fun toys so you don't have to pack your own! Go early to get them because there aren't too many available.

I'd recommend calling the lines and asking them if they will let your daughter participate. But, as others said, if possible just wait the extra week so your oldest is already 3.

Archived