NCL Gem, 5/18 review-Europe

iv18-Diane

Cruise Review of NCL Gem-5/18/08-Mediterranean Cruise

Background

There were 3 of us traveling, my husband and I in our 50s and my 18 year old daughter, who is a college student. This was our first NCL cruise but we have previously cruised on Celebrity, Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America. We really enjoyed cruising on NCL and hope to do it again very soon.

Precruise Stay: My husband, college age daughter and I stayed at the Hilton Diagonal with Hilton Points. We were given a corner room , which was large . The hotel was lovely and modern. There was a Mall across the street with many restaurants. It was also close to the bus stop for the Hop on and off Tour Bus. The subway was also located by the mall. I found the location excellent.

Embarkation- We were at the cruise Terminal at about 11:30. There is a separate line for lattitudes members, Owner's suites, Courtyard Villas, Penthouse Suites, and the Garden Villa.. We were introduced to our concierge Claudio and were told it was to early to go to the suite, but to enjoy lunch until cabins were called. Champagne was given to all upon boarding. We went to the buffet, as soon as we finished eating an announcement came on that our cabins were ready.

Cabin- A few days before departure I received an upsell from a Cat AF Mini Suite to A Cat AB Penthouse Suite. Our suite was much more than I expected. It had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room , Dining Area, It also had a cappuccino machine. It had a large shower. It was heaven! We had a bottle of chilled Champagne waiting for us in the suite.

We were greeted by our butler Maxi and he told us he can get anything that was needed. One morning he served us the room service breakfast we requested, and a white tablecloth was put on the table in the suite. Food was hot and good.

Ship The ship was very easy to get around. The Spinnaker Lounge had couches that were like beds. There were many different shaped chairs throughout the ship The ship was bursting with color.

Food

We ate in Cagney’s for most breakfasts and Lunch which was a suite perk and the food was excellent. At breakfast they had a cold buffet, and a hot meal was served off the menu. We went to the buffet only twice, one at Lunch and once at breakfast and there were many action stations with all kinds of food. We ate in the Grand Pacific Dining room, the designated dress up restaurant, 3 times for dinner. The food and service was excellent. Their only weakness is they need a better recipe for Southern Biscuits.

We had diners at La Cucina, Orchard Garden, Le Bistro, and Tequila, Food at all was excellent.

I had no problem getting into any of the restaurants.

Sea Day

On the day at sea it was a bit cold so most of the activities I did were inside. We had a cruise critic meet and greet that day. I had tried to arrange one thru NCL, but never received a response to my emails. When I met the Captain at a private cocktail party I told him this, and he said he likes to meet the groups on the ship that post on Cruise Critic because he is interested on knowing both the pluses and the minuses about the ship. Our CC group met in Bliss lounge and conversation was enjoyed by all.

Ports

Valletta, Malta- We decided not to do a tour at the first port so took a local bus into the town which was 1 euro round trip. We shopped , visited St. John’s Co-Cathedral ,and had lunch at an open air café. The town was charming and pretty.

Naples, Italy- We took NCL’S tour Amalfi Drive and Pompeii. This tour was very interesting and the Amalfi coastline was pictures. We stopped in the town of Amalfi which was unique. I bought a small guitar shaped bottle of lemonello.

Pompeii was exciting and it was wonderful to see my history book come alive. We had an excellent Italian meal included with this tour, complete with wine.

Rome, Italy (Civitavecchia)- We took the Baroque Rome tour, thru NCL.. The Vatican tour was not available because parts of the Vatican were closed due to a catholic holiday. We were able to tour St Peters Basilica though. The tour was very fast paced and there was a lot of walking . Lunch with wine was also included with this tour.

Florence/Pisa (Livorno) – We took Florence on your own thru NCL. We walked thru town, had cappuccino . Saw some works of Art, shopped , and had lunch at a an excellent restaurant. We first went into another one and noticed that the prices on the English menu was considerably higher than on the Italian menu, seeing this we decided to leave.

We also saw some local police action in Florence. Some men had stolen artwork from some vendors. We saw this in two different areas there.

Nice, France (Villafrance) - In Nice we decided not to do a tour after 3 long days of touring. We took the tender into town and started to walk around. We met some people that were on our cruise and they said there was a local bus nearby that would take 15 minutes to get into Nice. We decided to do that and the French Riveria was beautiful. I bought some French perfume there. There is also a train that goes there in 7 minutes, but the train station is a longer walk.

Debarkation- We left the ship after our last breakfast at Cagney’s. We said goodbye to our butler Maxi the night before. We went to the pier and Claudio our concierge was there with our luggage. It took less than 10 min to get from the ship to the cab .

Flights

What can I say a nightmare both departing and returning. We flew Continental Express from Nashville to Newark. That flight was on time and the easy part both coming and going.. Because of the construction at Newark we arrived at Terminal A and had to get to C for our departure. On the trip over the luggage was sent thru but we had to get on this bus ,which entailed going up and down steps with our carry-on luggage. Steps also at arrival point. What a way to start out a long flight. We then sat on the runway for an hour and a half because the airport was so crowded, typical Newark!

On our Returning flight we had to go thru customs. At other airports there is a place for continuing flights to check luggage, Not Newark! We had to rent a cart to get our luggage to another part of the airport. We waited on line along with others who had no continuing flights. It’s lucky we had a 2 ½ hour connect time, because I doubt we would have made it with less. In other airports you usually go to the next gate without going thru security, but at Newark we had to take the sky train from terminal c to Terminal A and go thru security once again.

I think Newark has to do something about passengers on continuing flights. The seats on Continental were like sardines in a can, the worst! Our seats on Continental express had leg room, and it was a quiet enjoyable flight, both departing and returning.

We are home now with many good memories, and pictures of our dream cruise. No more towel Animals, no more treats sent to the room, no butler catering to our needs. Our suite was a dream come true. My daughter loved that she had her own room and bathroom on the ship.

Will I cruise NCL again, Most definitely Yes.

Diane in Music City

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on May 4th on the Gem. Claudio and Christopher (our) butler were wonderful. As you say, spoiled - we sure were. We were in the Deluxe Owner's Suite 15500 on the top deck which was heavenly, literally. I loved the Courtyard the best and the private deck upstairs. And also our own huge deck and our private hot tub.

NCL sure know how to treat people in the suites. I would sail again anytime on NCL.

It was our 50th Anniv. so it was very special.

• 2 weeks later...
Cruise Review of NCL Gem-5/18/08-Mediterranean Cruise

Background

There were 3 of us traveling, my husband and I in our 50s and my 18 year old daughter, who is a college student. This was our first NCL cruise but we have previously cruised on Celebrity, Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America. We really enjoyed cruising on NCL and hope to do it again very soon.

Precruise Stay: My husband, college age daughter and I stayed at the Hilton Diagonal with Hilton Points. We were given a corner room , which was large . The hotel was lovely and modern. There was a Mall across the street with many restaurants. It was also close to the bus stop for the Hop on and off Tour Bus. The subway was also located by the mall. I found the location excellent.

Embarkation- We were at the cruise Terminal at about 11:30. There is a separate line for lattitudes members, Owner's suites, Courtyard Villas, Penthouse Suites, and the Garden Villa.. We were introduced to our concierge Claudio and were told it was to early to go to the suite, but to enjoy lunch until cabins were called. Champagne was given to all upon boarding. We went to the buffet, as soon as we finished eating an announcement came on that our cabins were ready.

Cabin- A few days before departure I received an upsell from a Cat AF Mini Suite to A Cat AB Penthouse Suite. Our suite was much more than I expected. It had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room , Dining Area, It also had a cappuccino machine. It had a large shower. It was heaven! We had a bottle of chilled Champagne waiting for us in the suite.

We were greeted by our butler Maxi and he told us he can get anything that was needed. One morning he served us the room service breakfast we requested, and a white tablecloth was put on the table in the suite. Food was hot and good.

Ship The ship was very easy to get around. The Spinnaker Lounge had couches that were like beds. There were many different shaped chairs throughout the ship The ship was bursting with color.

Food

We ate in Cagney’s for most breakfasts and Lunch which was a suite perk and the food was excellent. At breakfast they had a cold buffet, and a hot meal was served off the menu. We went to the buffet only twice, one at Lunch and once at breakfast and there were many action stations with all kinds of food. We ate in the Grand Pacific Dining room, the designated dress up restaurant, 3 times for dinner. The food and service was excellent. Their only weakness is they need a better recipe for Southern Biscuits.

We had diners at La Cucina, Orchard Garden, Le Bistro, and Tequila, Food at all was excellent.

I had no problem getting into any of the restaurants.

Sea Day

On the day at sea it was a bit cold so most of the activities I did were inside. We had a cruise critic meet and greet that day. I had tried to arrange one thru NCL, but never received a response to my emails. When I met the Captain at a private cocktail party I told him this, and he said he likes to meet the groups on the ship that post on Cruise Critic because he is interested on knowing both the pluses and the minuses about the ship. Our CC group met in Bliss lounge and conversation was enjoyed by all.

Ports

Valletta, Malta- We decided not to do a tour at the first port so took a local bus into the town which was 1 euro round trip. We shopped , visited St. John’s Co-Cathedral ,and had lunch at an open air café. The town was charming and pretty.

Naples, Italy- We took NCL’S tour Amalfi Drive and Pompeii. This tour was very interesting and the Amalfi coastline was pictures. We stopped in the town of Amalfi which was unique. I bought a small guitar shaped bottle of lemonello.

Pompeii was exciting and it was wonderful to see my history book come alive. We had an excellent Italian meal included with this tour, complete with wine.

Rome, Italy (Civitavecchia)- We took the Baroque Rome tour, thru NCL.. The Vatican tour was not available because parts of the Vatican were closed due to a catholic holiday. We were able to tour St Peters Basilica though. The tour was very fast paced and there was a lot of walking . Lunch with wine was also included with this tour.

Florence/Pisa (Livorno) – We took Florence on your own thru NCL. We walked thru town, had cappuccino . Saw some works of Art, shopped , and had lunch at a an excellent restaurant. We first went into another one and noticed that the prices on the English menu was considerably higher than on the Italian menu, seeing this we decided to leave.

We also saw some local police action in Florence. Some men had stolen artwork from some vendors. We saw this in two different areas there.

Nice, France (Villafrance) - In Nice we decided not to do a tour after 3 long days of touring. We took the tender into town and started to walk around. We met some people that were on our cruise and they said there was a local bus nearby that would take 15 minutes to get into Nice. We decided to do that and the French Riveria was beautiful. I bought some French perfume there. There is also a train that goes there in 7 minutes, but the train station is a longer walk.

Debarkation- We left the ship after our last breakfast at Cagney’s. We said goodbye to our butler Maxi the night before. We went to the pier and Claudio our concierge was there with our luggage. It took less than 10 min to get from the ship to the cab .

Flights

What can I say a nightmare both departing and returning. We flew Continental Express from Nashville to Newark. That flight was on time and the easy part both coming and going.. Because of the construction at Newark we arrived at Terminal A and had to get to C for our departure. On the trip over the luggage was sent thru but we had to get on this bus ,which entailed going up and down steps with our carry-on luggage. Steps also at arrival point. What a way to start out a long flight. We then sat on the runway for an hour and a half because the airport was so crowded, typical Newark!

On our Returning flight we had to go thru customs. At other airports there is a place for continuing flights to check luggage, Not Newark! We had to rent a cart to get our luggage to another part of the airport. We waited on line along with others who had no continuing flights. It’s lucky we had a 2 ½ hour connect time, because I doubt we would have made it with less. In other airports you usually go to the next gate without going thru security, but at Newark we had to take the sky train from terminal c to Terminal A and go thru security once again.

I think Newark has to do something about passengers on continuing flights. The seats on Continental were like sardines in a can, the worst! Our seats on Continental express had leg room, and it was a quiet enjoyable flight, both departing and returning.

We are home now with many good memories, and pictures of our dream cruise. No more towel Animals, no more treats sent to the room, no butler catering to our needs. Our suite was a dream come true. My daughter loved that she had her own room and bathroom on the ship.

Will I cruise NCL again, Most definitely Yes.

Diane in Music City

Diane!

Great review....I think I'll be looking at that cruise for next year...the stop in Malta will be a plus for us :)

Kate

Archived