Princess Asia Cruises - Advise Needed

aussieonwater

Hi All, We are looking to do the Diamond Princess Bangkok - Beijing or visa versa in October/November 2008. Has anyone done this cruise with Princess on Sapphire or other in the last few years? How were the waters? I can take hot or raining but not sure we can handle a rough 16 night cruise. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks, Jessica

We did Singapore to Beijing on Regal Princess, Mar 01, and had fairly smooth waters.

Way back in Nov 86, while in the China Sea between Hong Kong and Manila, on the little Golden Odyssey (a 10,000 tonner), we hit the back end of a typhoon, and had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and inclinometer pegged several times. Very rough indeed. Close to those same waters, Halsey's Fleet lost three destroyers to capsizing, closing days of WW2.

There are no guarantees on the water re weather and sea state. Travel can be an adventure!

We did this cruise in '06 and had a great time on the Pacific and we sailed through the end of Typhoon Kaimai and didn't have rough seas. The captin will do all that he can to keep the ship out of rough waters. however, he can't control the wave action.

If you'd like, I kept a journal about the trip. Drop me an email at charliekirby@comcast.net and I'll be happy to forward it to you.

There's no way to predict whether the water will be smooth or rough. During our recent Sydney to LA cruise, we were warned as we left Melbourne that going to Hobart, Tasmania would most likely be rough since the Tasmanian Sea is apparantly notorious for being rough. It wasn't; it was actually quite smooth both going there and then on to New Zealand. Same thing happened last year cruising from Buenos Aires to Santiago; the cruise before us to Buenos Aires experienced very heavy seas (one ship had 70' waves) but we had just a bit of choppy water. So, you never know and one person's experience is not necessarily what you will experience.

Hi All, We are looking to do the Diamond Princess Bangkok - Beijing or visa versa in October/November 2008. Has anyone done this cruise with Princess on Sapphire or other in the last few years? How were the waters? I can take hot or raining but not sure we can handle a rough 16 night cruise. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks, Jessica

I have hesitated to jump in here. I absolutely do not want to discourage you or "rain on your parade" (if that is an expression also used in Australia?). It is a great itinerary. We did this cruise on the infamous "Tour of the Typhoons" last year in this same area. We had to skip four ports of call. By skirting the problem areas we were able to avoid the really rough seas. The captain does not want a few thousand sick passengers either.

We would not hesitate to go again. Odds are very much in your favor. You will have a great cruise.

Thanks all for all of your replys. Now I will wait 30 days for the 90 day final payment time limit to pass and hopefully pick up a bargin (if some cruisers don't pay their final balance and the cabins are released).

Fingers crossed and thanks again. Jessica.

We took that cruise on the Diamond a few years ago. There was a typhoon near Taiwan, and we missed that port, and we had slightly rough seas for a bit, but overall, the seas were fine. I get seasick easily, but took a med for it, and was just fine. Don't let it scare you away. That was a trip of a lifetime and I would love to do it again.

I have hesitated to jump in here. I absolutely do not want to discourage you or "rain on your parade" (if that is an expression also used in Australia?). It is a great itinerary. We did this cruise on the infamous "Tour of the Typhoons" last year in this same area. We had to skip four ports of call. By skirting the problem areas we were able to avoid the really rough seas. The captain does not want a few thousand sick passengers either.

We would not hesitate to go again. Odds are very much in your favor. You will have a great cruise.

We were on the cruise a couple of weeks before the Tour of the Typhoons going from Bangkok to Beijing. We had very smooth seas and were able to visit all the ports. I believe the reverse cruise after us missed Nagasaki because of a medical emergency. You never know what can happen. It was a great cruise and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

There's no way to predict whether the water will be smooth or rough. During our recent Sydney to LA cruise, we were warned as we left Melbourne that going to Hobart, Tasmania would most likely be rough since the Tasmanian Sea is apparantly notorious for being rough. It wasn't; it was actually quite smooth both going there and then on to New Zealand. Same thing happened last year cruising from Buenos Aires to Santiago; the cruise before us to Buenos Aires experienced very heavy seas (one ship had 70' waves) but we had just a bit of choppy water. So, you never know and one person's experience is not necessarily what you will experience.
I think you have the best answer. the board moderators should post a sticky than no one can predict the weather or seas on a date far in the future.

Archived