Costa Magica - Questions

nadalina

I am booked on the Magica in August from Savona, Italy, my first cruise with Costa, and I would appreciate answers to a few questions because I have been unable to find them on the Costa website or from any other source.

1. Do the cabins have both 110 and 220 outlets? I am from the U.S. but my travel companion is from Croatia, so we will need both.

2. How many formal nights on the 7-night Med cruise? I have had conflicting information.

3. Just how formal do the guests dress for formal nights; i.e. really formal like on Celebrity or less formal like on Carnival or somewhere in between like on RCCL?

4. Clarification on the beverage card, please. It covers soft drinks, beer AND wine?

5. Are there any tables for 2 in the dining rooms?

6. On some lines I tip my cabin steward and sometimes even my waiter in advance to ensure certain things we like during the week. Would appreciate your comments and opinions about this with Costa, especially since it is a line that automatically adds the gratuities to your onboard account.

Many thanks.

1. Do the cabins have both 110 and 220 outlets? I am from the U.S. but my travel companion is from Croatia, so we will need both.

Yes, you´ll find both kinds of outlets, usually situated at the desk.

2. How many formal nights on the 7-night Med cruise? I have had conflicting information.

There will be 2 formal nights in 7 days

3. Just how formal do the guests dress for formal nights; i.e. really formal like on Celebrity or less formal like on Carnival or somewhere in between like on RCCL?

Formal isn´t that formal with costa. No tuxedo necessary, a suit or a jacket will do. Women can wear nearlly everything. I´ve seen summerdresses on gala-night as well as evening gowns.

4. Clarification on the beverage card, please. It covers soft drinks, beer AND wine?

There is not one beverage card with costa.

Either you booked the X1-Package when you booked your cruise, then housewine, one kind of beer, softdrinks and water are covered during lunch and dinner in the restaurants.

Or you can buy:

- Wine packages (some bottles of wine and water)

- Boys & Girls Card : a coupon booklet with 20 tickets for softdrinks, fresh juices and non-alcoholic cocktails, this card costs 46 Euro (a non-alc cocktail is 4,50 Euro)

- Water package: 13 bottles of water for about 26 Euro

Tea(teabags) and coffee are avaiable at the buffet restaurant during the day for free, You´ll get orange juice for breakfast, too, for free and if you eat you breakfast in the cabin or in the restaurant, you can get free capuccino.

I think there are some, but not that many.

I am booked on the Magica in August from Savona, Italy, my first cruise with Costa, and I would appreciate answers to a few questions because I have been unable to find them on the Costa website or from any other source.

6. On some lines I tip my cabin steward and sometimes even my waiter in advance to ensure certain things we like during the week. Would appreciate your comments and opinions about this with Costa, especially since it is a line that automatically adds the gratuities to your onboard account.

Many thanks.

Phew so many question at one go!:) So lets try and answer some.

1. On the Magica there is both 110v and 220v, with one socket for each voltage the 220v is the European type that take plug type C or F. They are normally situated either above or at the side of the desk. There is also a socket for elevtric razor in the bathroom.

2. For 7 day cruise you will get at least 2 formal dinners.

3. I've just answered a similar question so I'll cut and paste.

On the formal nights you will get everything from shirt / trouses, suits / ties, dinner jacket bow ties / tuxedo, for the ladies, floral dresses (guess which country) top / trouses, cocktail dress, evening gown.

If you enjoy dressing for the occassion then just do it (no need to follow the flock).

Don't forget it's YOUR cruise.

4. There are different types of beverage cards:

Wine and water packages (cheaper than buying individual bottles), you get a set of cards to give to the water when you require a bottle. A bottle of wine does not have to be finished on the wame night, the water will keep it for you.

Boys and Girls Package, this is for 20 soda drinks.

What I think you mean is the X1 package, which covers beer, wine, water and soda, these drinks are available either in the Buffets or Restaurants during lunch and dinner open times. If you book this package (has to be done via your TA - not available online - at least 2 weeks before departure), the an X1 will be embossed on your cabin card.

5. There are tables for 2 (honeymonners) in the dining restraurants, you should a form from your TA where it will ask which dinner sitting (early or late) and what type of table (how many persons).

6. Up front tipping is not really necessary, but if you want that little bit extra attention, then why not.

I think that covers about everything.:D

Ron

PS: Welcome to CC

Wow! Thank you both for your quick responses and warm welcome. I use an online cruise broker that offers great prices but not much in the way of service, therefore, the X1 beverage card was not mentioned. I'm sure I could call and request to purchase them but I'd like to ask a follow-up question if you don't mind. We don't drink much beer but the water, soda and wine options are definitely attractive. Is it decent wine? We prefer red wine but I also enjoy a good pinot grigio. Are you given choices of the wine or do you just have to accept what they give you? And about the sodas, is it only during lunch and dinner service or any time? What is the price per person?

I did ask the cruise broker about a table for 2 but she said Costa only gives options of tables for 4, 6 or 8. Normally we enjoy sharing a table and meeting new people but we haven't see each other in a while and this time we prefer eating alone, so I guess we just need to make an immediate visit to the maitre d'hotel upon boarding.

I have been on quite a few cruises with other lines but this will be our first with Costa and we're really looking forward to it, so thank you for your willingness to answer my questions. Every cruise line is a little bit different but as long as I'm at sea, they're all wonderful to me.

Thanks again!

The wine is normally (or should be) served by the glass, but if the waiters are busy (also a tip up front) and they leave the bottle on the table, which you can take with you. The wine is red, white and rose, ask to sample the wine and then choose the best one for your taste. Is the wine good? Cruising with a mediocre wine is better than staying at home with a vintage wine. ;)

The soda like the other drinks are only available in the buffet and restaurant during lunch and dinner opening times. Order some soda and ask the waiter not to open them and take them back to your cabin.

The cost is Euro 11.00 per person per day (2 glasses of wine and a soda and it is paid for). If your online broke can't book the X1 package try going direct to Costa.

See the maitre'd as soon as possible for table for 2.

Ron

PS: Always willing to help those who help themselves by asking meaningful questions, I never answer such requestes "How do Costa compare with RCCL, Carnival, Celebrate", there are no good answers as all opinions are subjective, where as the X1 package has substance (especially if ordering a good German beer :rolleyes:.

I like the way you think, Blu*Donau, and we are definitely on the same page. My cruise companion is from Croatia. He works for Crystal Cruise Line on the Symphony but we met 12 years ago when he worked for Celebrity and now we're trying Costa, mainly because we absolutely love Italy and everything Italian, so why not cruises!?! You're right..... opinions are always subjective (what else could they be?), and I, too, hate it when my friends ask me to compare the various cruise lines and ships. I love them all!

If there are other things about Costa and the Magica in particular that you think would be helpful for me to know, by all means any and all comments or observations would be welcome and appreciated.

Peggy

I like the way you think, Blu*Donau, and we are definitely on the same page. My cruise companion is from Croatia. He works for Crystal Cruise Line on the Symphony but we met 12 years ago when he worked for Celebrity and now we're trying Costa, mainly because we absolutely love Italy and everything Italian, so why not cruises!?! You're right..... opinions are always subjective (what else could they be?), and I, too, hate it when my friends ask me to compare the various cruise lines and ships. I love them all!

If there are other things about Costa and the Magica in particular that you think would be helpful for me to know, by all means any and all comments or observations would be welcome and appreciated.

Peggy

Here are some hints to make your cruise more enjoyable:

a. The sister ships Magica and Fortuna have secret doors at the front of the ship. Secret doors are at the front on most decks with all cabins on them. I know for sure they were on decks 5, 6, and 7. Not on deck 8--that is where the bridge is. These are great places to watch the ship enter or leave ports. It was too windy up there to enjoy on sea days though.

b. Order light breakfast in your cabin (no extra charge), croissants, fruit juice, cappacino or expresso in real porcelaon cups. Same goes for the breakfast served in the main restaurants.

c. If there is not anything on the nebu that you like ask the waiter for one of the standard dishes they have available every day salmon or chicken.

d. If the food is not good or you do not like the taste, tell the waiter they will be more than willing to order you another dish.

e. Try the Pizzeria (often :rolleyes:).

If anything elso comes to mind I'll let you know.

Ron

The Magica is a Lovely ship - full of charming touches everywhere, from the elevators that "speak" Italian to the fully retractable glass roof over the front (fore) pool. I spent plenty of time outside one of the "secret" foreward areas since it was right outside my cabin (9205). It was like having a balcony without the cost! The crew is as international in flavor as other lines, but they all wear little flag lapel pins so you can practice your languages with them and they seem more accustomed to dealing with many nationalities so they easily go from table to table in the dining room dealing with all manners of folks. Enjoy the Magica & have a lovely cruise!

Thank you, All, for your comments and well wishes. We are so excited about experiencing a totally new line and ship, for us, that is. There is definitely something comforting about returning to a familiar line/ship, but it's always exciting to try something new. We have an aft balcony cabin, which is our favorite place to be on a ship..... the wind is far less and there's just something about that view of the ship's wake that I never get tired of seeing. Actually wish we had at least a couple of days at sea but this cruise has a port every day. LOVE my sea days! Thanks again for taking the time to write. I know we are going to have a great time.

• 1 month later...

Cant answer all questions, but here goes.

you cannot buy a multi drinks package, they seem, to offer wine/soft drinks/coffee options individually but not together.

Beware drinks are expensive. Bottle of wine cheapest 19 Euro. Soft drink over 2 euro. a 15% surcharge is added to each bar bill. At the end of the cruise 7 euro per person per day is added as gratuities. It is up to you if you wish to give additional tips to staff at end of cruise.

Only one electrical outlet in cabin, which we used an international adaptor and it worked fine. We had outside cabin on deck two (window no balcony) and could not fault cabin large & spacious.We were one 1st sitting for dinner 7.15pm which turned out to be fine as we had good company & did not leave dining room until 9.15pm. Second sitting apparently did not get out of dining room until 11.15pm- bit late I feel.

If you want a table for two just ask the Maitre D' who will try to accomodate you.

Have just returned after one weeks cruise. Only one formal evening, which was disappointing, as with other cruises we have has two formal nights during two week cruise. Majority of passengers DID NOT bother to dress up, the men were the worst (sorry guys).

Having sailed before with Costa, Royal Caribbean, P&O. Thomson. and Airtours, I have to say that the standard of dress was the worst I have come across.

Finally I have to say ship was very clean, staff as usual very friendly and work extremely hard. Entertaininment was average. Very noisy and found Itailians very pushy in buffet area. Would I cruise again with Costa?probably not. Did enjoy cruise and no real problems, but they are not as good as Royal Caribbean. I also felt ship, whilst very elegant lacked atmosphere.

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!! as this is only my opinion

Cant answer all questions, but here goes.

you cannot buy a multi drinks package, they seem, to offer wine/soft drinks/coffee options individually but not together.

Not strickly true, you can buy the X1 drinks package that covers wine, beer, water and soft drinks during lunch and dinner time in the buffets and restaurants.

Ron

Archived