Help! Tours around Civitavecchia

We are cruising the Med on the Summit in November of this year and one of the ports is Civitavecchia. Most people go to Rome for tours, but we have been there and toured there before.

We are looking for places/towns/tours near Civitavecchia. Has anyone toured that area? Are there tour guides anyone can recommend for the area?

Help

Rick

Haven't been there yet, but we are taking a tour the day we disembark. We have flights leaving in the evening and didn't want to sit at the airport all day. I have booked with Romeinlimo they have several tours of the countryside around Rome. http://www.romeinlimo.com/cerveteri.htm and they have lots of recomendations on these boards.

Carolyn

Haven't been there yet, but we are taking a tour the day we disembark. We have flights leaving in the evening and didn't want to sit at the airport all day. I have booked with Romeinlimo they have several tours of the countryside around Rome. http://www.romeinlimo.com/cerveteri.htm and they have lots of recomendations on these boards.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

The site is full of info. Thank you very much. When will you be there? Could you post and let me know on this thread how it goes? I sure would appreciate it.

Rick

Not positive, but believe you can take the train to Ostia Antica. We love it & go there everytime we are in Rome; although not going to Rome this year! :(

It is an ancient city that was covered by mud from flooding & was in ancient times the major Roman port. It is cheap admission & right off of the train station.

Each time we've gone, there were about 25 other people - in other words, no crowds like Pompeii. And unlike Pompeii, you can climb all over, under, & into the buildings = besides the lack of crowds, that is the best part. There is a bath house that is awesome; especially the view from the top. We also like the ampitheatre. Someone can stand on the stage & speak in a normal voice & be heard at the top of the seats! Great place to rest.

After entering & walking on the main road, on the left we noticed ruins partially covered with weeds & vines. We pulled some away & found a partially excavated underground tomb with stone coffins. We climbed down & snooped around - just like Indiana Jones!!:cool:

There is a cafeteria with good & cheap food. There are free toilets.

Not positive, but believe you can take the train to Ostia Antica. We love it & go there everytime we are in Rome; although not going to Rome this year! :(

QUOTE]

Two,

Found it on Google maps. It is just so. of Rome. We were not looking to travel that far, but thanks for the info.

Rick

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=739395&highlight=Tarquinia

This is where I described how we got to Tarquinia. It was easy--I would stop at the TI booth to get the bus schedule, but they ran at least every hour. Even after Turkey and Egypt this was a true highlight of our trip.

Here is my trip report with more details http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=735508&highlight=Tarquinia

I am trying to figure out the most direct way to get to Ostia Antica. So far all I found was take the train into Rome switch to train to Ostia. Was hoping there was a better alternative that is cost efficient.

I am trying to figure out the most direct way to get to Ostia Antica. So far all I found was take the train into Rome switch to train to Ostia. Was hoping there was a better alternative that is cost efficient.

Looking at Google maps, the train line goes right to Ostia Antica. A tour bus or cab would cost many $$$ more.

Rick

Archived