Sausage !!!!!

OMG!!!!! After reading so many threads and posts about Spanx, shapewear, etc. I decided to go to Bergners and try all the different things on that they had that "shaped" you. WOW!!! What a wake up call!!:eek: Not only did I feel like a sausage being stuffed, but I'm sure I know what a snake feels like when it sheds it's skin!! Getting out of those things felt wonderful!:D Yes, I may be overweight for my height, and need to lose around 35 pounds, but I now know I will proudly wear my XL-1X tops, size 20W bathing suit, and size 16 shorts/capris free of any constraints, and if anyone sees me wearing a little grin, it will be because I have just spied someone who by the look of sheer agony on their face is wearing a sausage casing. I plan to eat what I want, when I want, and will worry about getting serious with my weight when I get back home. I refuse to be self consious about my appearance at the expense of enjoying my vacation. I looked at myself in the mirror, and yes, those things would have made my pudgy pot look a little flatter, but then I thought "Hey, I will probably NEVER see any of these people again in my life after this cruise, so why do I have to try to alter my appearance?"

I agree with Happy K's. Sounds like you put on a size too small.

Whether you did or didn't, doesn't really matter, it sounds like you're not convinced about the concept of shaper garments.

I don't think about whether the people I encounter will ever see me again or not. Personally, when I dress well and look good, I feel better about myself.

You should do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Have a great cruise!

I was going to say the same thing. I am between sizes in Spanx, and the smaller size is tight, but the larger size is pretty comfortable. I feel better about how I look in a dress or other clingy outfit if the bumps and bulges are smoothed out!

Bergners probably doesn't carry them but try Nancy Ganz Belly Buster for a bit of tummy firming if wearing loose drawstring pants and such. The leg openings are like regular panties so no strangling crotch and the tummy panel goes around to smooth not crunch. I have "quad gut' from paralysis and am not going to risk pressure sores but still like some shape.

Try Macy's, Gimbles, assuming they are still around, or Nordstroms or Nordstroms.com. And only a true masochist would wear the thong version. LOL

I am only 130 lbs .. but I would be lost without my spanx and other shapers to smooth things out and erase panty lines in white pants.. I didn't know what I needed until I found them and now clothes look soooooo much better!!

But I have to applaud the OP .. If you aren't self conscious I say good for you .. You have a great cruise

I don't think about whether the people I encounter will ever see me again or not. Personally, when I dress well and look good, I feel better about myself.

You took the words out of my mouth. I always hear people say that (about not caring if someone is going to see them again). That is not my criteria for what to wear, in fact it never enters my mind. I truly feel better knowing I have dressed well and look nice.

That said - no one looks good in garments that are too small!!! :cool:

Getting out of those things felt wonderful!:D Yes, I may be overweight for my height, and need to lose around 35 pounds, but I now know I will proudly wear my XL-1X tops, size 20W bathing suit, and size 16 shorts/capris free of any constraints, and if anyone sees me wearing a little grin, it will be because I have just spied someone who by the look of sheer agony on their face is wearing a sausage casing.

Actually, I expected to feel sausage-like in shapewear, but that's not the case at all. In fact, when I got my Spanx, I picked one two sizes too big. Fortunately, the gal helping me at Nordstrom told me that what I was choosing was too big for me - so, she got the next two smaller sizes. I thought she was nuts - but, I tried on the smaller one that she picked.

And.....Not only did it fit me - it was SO comfortable. I think it's like wearing bicycle shorts.

But, I agree with you, if you don't feel comfortable, don't wear it. -- But, you won't be seeing agony on my face when I'm wearing my spanx.

When I got home from Bergners, I went on line to see what stores in my area carry the actual Spanx and found out that our local Mastectomy Store "Confidentially Yours" carries the whole line. Don't know why, since the two don't seem to be exactly related, but... So, I will go and try them on there. I guess in my original post I didn't put why I was so shocked. As you can see from my original post, I am only in the W's for swimwear, and I buy 1X in shirts (cotton) so that they will shrink to actually fit. When I put on the sausage things, I was putting on a 3X and still felt like I would split a seam when I sat down. That blew me away!!! I walked out of there wondering if all my clothes have stretched, and I really am a 3X!!! That really does a thing to the mind. I went upstairs when I got home and pulled out my underwear to check the sizes written in them and then tried to gauge if they looked "stretched" to me. I was tempted to go out to the store again and get a new package of underwear in the same size that I have to see indeed if my size is a figment of my imagination and the 3X was a reality check. That's when I determined that it really didn't matter, that I would worry about it after the cruise. But, after hearing people say they are so comfortable, I've just GOT to go over to the M store and see what all the rave is about:D

I just discovered that I have back bra FAT!!!!! I saw myself in a mirror today and couldn't believe it . . . you could see exactly where my bra is and the flab around it. I'm not huge but I do wear a 16W and really didn't think I had a problem "upstairs" . . . it was just "downstairs." Anyone have suggestions for something that would help with the back bra line?

Well I didn't say they were comfortable in my post, but it's been years since I tried any on. At the time, I thought they were horrid, and only could be comfortably worn by women that did not need them!!

I am several sizes smaller now and don't seem to have a need for those type of garments, usually. However, I DO have a Spanx hi-cut brief...for wearing with a couple of my really close-fitting LBD's, and it is extremely comfy. It would be useless to me if it fit me like a "sausage casing" since the whole point of wearing it is have absolutely no lines under my dress. :o (And I am a real stickler about comfort and lines anyway - it's why I hate pantyhose!!)

Anyhoo...I suspect that most of those garments have come a long way since I tried them, at least I would hope so. So it may be worth it for you to give it another go. :)

At the time, I thought they were horrid, and only could be comfortably worn by women that did not need them!!

I suspect there is a lot of truth to that statement! As for the sizing of them, our current sizes are all mixed up. I've been helping a friend shop for a wedding dress and it's a cold reminder that formal wear is usually two sizes smaller than your typical dept store offerings. My MOH dress is a 14 while I generally wear a 10 off the rack. I suspect that maybe the shapewear is following the same sizing chart as the formal dressmakers.

Stacy London and CLinton Kelly from What Not to Wear would be so proud of you. :D And I agree too. You never know who you might run into - even 3:00 am at the Wal-Mart. It happened to a friend of mine who ran to the store in the grubby clothes he was wearing to paint the house. He ran into a guy he was hoping to do business with, and probably didn't make such a great impression. lol

I just discovered that I have back bra FAT!!!!! I saw myself in a mirror today and couldn't believe it . . . you could see exactly where my bra is and the flab around it. I'm not huge but I do wear a 16W and really didn't think I had a problem "upstairs" . . . it was just "downstairs." Anyone have suggestions for something that would help with the back bra line?

My dear fellow woman, what you have is a FUBA.:eek:

(fat upper back area):D :D

I have heard a lot of "buzz" about this bra...you might want to try it.

http://sassybax.com/underwire_bralette.php

I was going to say the same thing. I am between sizes in Spanx, and the smaller size is tight, but the larger size is pretty comfortable. I feel better about how I look in a dress or other clingy outfit if the bumps and bulges are smoothed out!

It's the same for me. Luckily the girl at Lane Bryant told me to go up a size for comfort. Mine are quite comfortable, but help to "streamline" things.

To the OP though, good for you. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others think.

!. You might not have "fat", you might just have untoned muscle. Some pulldowns and other back exercises would help tone up the back.

2. If you do have fat - there are a couple of brands of bra's that address this issue. Sassybacks is one (don't recall the other)

3. Your problem *might* be that you're simply not wearing a proper fitting bra. Many women wear a bra that's too large in the band (ie a 38 when they're really a 36. Or their bra is too old and lost it's elasticity).

When it not snug enough your bra rides up your back and hits you in the wrong place and it looks like back fat is poking out. A tighter bra will sit lower on your back (where you have less fat) and often the problem is eliminated. I know this is counter-inuitive, but I've seen this demonstrated on live models and it's incredible how back "fat" is gone by wearing the right bra.

When we were little my mother was getting dressed and pulling on her elastic (yuck) girdle. She was only about 25 lbs overweight. My little brother said "come on mom, one more lump and it'll be up." Mom took that thing off and never wore one again!

Archived