Kid's Activities

barb-ottawa

All the major cruiselines have acitivities for kids, and she should not be bored. Kids are divided into various age groups, and age appropriate activities are done with them. (games, arts and crafts, treasure hunts etc.)

Usually, the kids hours run from 9 am - 12 pm, 2 pm -5pm and 7 pm -10 pm. After 10 pm there's group babysitting for I think $5 per hour. Usually the kids are just sitting quietly around on pillows and watching movies (G of course) for the group babysitting.

I believe on formal night the counselors take the kids to dinner if you sign up for it. On my last NCL cruise, I think the hours might now go straight through, but you are probably responsible for mealtimes whenever those are.

While you are in port, there is also babysittting available on the ship for either 5 or 10 dollars an hour, but I wouldn't do it - what if you miss getting back on the ship and have to meet it at the next port?

Anyway, she should have a great time.

You didn't say what ship. We have 2 kids: 9you DS and 5yo DD. They bothe absolutely LOVED the Kids Crew on the Dawn. We couldn't keep them outta there. Now that 2.0 is implemented, they won't close during the day like they used to. We'll have to DRAG them out for lunch and dinner next week, I'm sure. Can't say enough good things about the Kids Crew. It's awesome!

The Kid's Crew program onboard offers fun, supervised, age-appropriate activities for children between 2 and 17 years old
(children under 2 are not accepted into the program).
Age Groups and Sample Activities

Activities are flexible and subject to change based on participants. Family activities may also be offered throughout the cruise. Children are assigned to a group based on their age at sailing.
Please note that we do not allow children to switch age groups.

• Juniors (Ages 2-5):
    storytelling, painting, developmental activities, age-specific games family activities

• First Mates (Ages 6-9):
    children's pool area, pizza making party, games, parties, crafts & classes

• Navigators (Ages 10-12):
    sports activities, team-building challenges, games & parties, video arcade

• Teens (Ages 13-17):
    teen disco, sports and activities, video arcade, movies and parties

Important:
Youth staff cannot assist children in the washroom or change diapers. Parents of children who are not potty-trained are given b
eepers and will be paged to assist their children. Beeper range is limited to the ship.

Youth Staff

• Chosen from university education and recreation programs

• CPR and First Aid certified

• Trained in ship safety

• Trained in communication and confidence building

Hours

• Nightly from 7:00 pm to 10:00pm

• Sea days: 9:00am - 12:00pm and 2:00pm - 5:00pm

Sign In/Sign Out Procedures

• A parent or guardian is required to register kids ages 2-17. After registering onboard, kids can participate as often as they choose.

• Kids under 13 may not sign themselves in and out. Only a designated adult over 21 may sign them in and out of Kid's Crew.

• Parents will need to have a photo ID ready for drop off or pick up.

Youth Program Discipline Policy

• Step 1: Warning: The Youth Counselor addresses the child and it is explained that his/her behavior is unacceptable and needs to be improved immediately.

• Step 2: Time out: If the child continues to disobey the Youth Counselor, a time out is issued and the parents are notified at pick-up time.

• Step 3: Suspension: If a time out is not effective in eliminating the inappropriate behavior, the parents are located and the child is grounded from the program for 24 hours. The child is then welcomed back, but if there is any reservation on the part of the Youth Counselor a parent may be required to attend with their child.

• Step 4: Dismissal: Once the child is allowed back into the program after the initial dismissal, if any disobedient behaviors continue, the child will no longer be allowed to participate.

Special Needs

• We are not able to provide one-on-one care within our Youth Programs.

• Passengers must inform us if their child has allergies or note any medications on their registration.

• Sick children need to see the medical center before coming to the program. There's no charge if child is well and is allowed to join the activities.

FAQ's

Do we allow children to switch age groups?

NO - they are assigned to a group based on age at sailing. If child celebrates a birthday during the cruise, then they can go to the next age group.

Is there a charge for the Youth Program?

No - only for group sitting.

Will Youth Staff assist my child in the washroom or change my child's diaper?
No -b
eepers are issued to parents/guardians with children that are not potty-trainedor require bathroom assistance. Beepers do not work ashore, so parents will have to stay onboard when their children are in our Youth Program.

Can I participate in the Youth Program with my child?

As a general rule, adults are not allowed in the Youth Centers, unless it's for a scheduled family activity.

Do I need to tip the Youth Staff?

Because our Youth Staff is not included in service charges, cash gratuities are greatly appreciated and divided among the staff. Individual gratuities can be made through the onboard Reception Desk.

I haven't read much on this... the previous post said the kids club won't close now.. is it all day then??? looking to go on the Sky in Sept. w/ 8 yr old.

Anyone with any experience?? Went to Jamaica last year with all inclusive.. pratically had to drag her away from there. Same thing??

Two years ago we took our granddaughter for her 12th birthday on the Dawn. We practically saw her only for meal times. She was hoping to get into the Teen group. When they put her in with the 10-12 y.o., she was not happy at first, but that lasted maybe half an hour. She had a great time. Last Saturday she turned 14 and grumbled that she'd rather be on another cruise.

I believe on formal night the counselors take the kids to dinner if you sign up for it. On my last NCL cruise, I think the hours might now go straight through, but you are probably responsible for mealtimes whenever those are.

Anyway, she should have a great time.

There are no formal nights on NCL cruises. Formal nights are called "dress up or not nights" on NCL.

My daughter has been on several NCL cruises since she was 4. (she is 11 now) and she has loved it every time! She loved the Dawn & Star play areas and kids pools the best. Her least favorite was on the Pride of Aloha (now the Sky) because the both the Kids Club area and kids pool were extremely small.

Archived