cruising with a 3 yr old. and safety

onehotpooh

ive told 2 people today that i was going on a cruise. they looked at me and asked if i was taking the 3 yr old ( will be 4 by time of cruise). im like well sure, they have a kids club. then both people ( 2 diff conversations , hours apart) looked at me and said, ' well gosh, do you really trust these people with your kid ? '. i hadnt even questioned it up until now. i explained about the signing them in and out and the beepers etc but they didnt seem to be impressed with the system. its just odd that all of a sudden , im questioning this whole kids club thing. i never thought about it as me getting rid of her and throwing her with strangers. i thought shed be bored of looking @ mom/dad and would want some social interaction with kiddies her own age. am i nuts ? help.

pooh

You and her should be just fine. It's true that every child doesn't love the kid's club, but most get along fine. In general the counselors are very kind and patient and very good. A few tips that I have found helpful is to go to the greet party usually on the first night, when you both can check it out. When my DD was younger, I would wait till the middle of a session to bring her for her first drop off. There is usually less commotion with other kids and the younger ones sometimes have a little separation anxiety in the beginning. My DD had a hard time the first day, but after that, couldn't wait to go back. It is very much like having a new babysitter or starting pre-school the first day. Even if its a little rough, keep trying and pick an activity she would like to go to, special craft time or cookies with the captain. Once she realizes that you are not far away she will probably do well. Good luck and happy sailing.

ive told 2 people today that i was going on a cruise. they looked at me and asked if i was taking the 3 yr old ( will be 4 by time of cruise). im like well sure, they have a kids club. then both people ( 2 diff conversations , hours apart) looked at me and said, ' well gosh, do you really trust these people with your kid ? '. i hadnt even questioned it up until now. i explained about the signing them in and out and the beepers etc but they didnt seem to be impressed with the system. its just odd that all of a sudden , im questioning this whole kids club thing. i never thought about it as me getting rid of her and throwing her with strangers. i thought shed be bored of looking @ mom/dad and would want some social interaction with kiddies her own age. am i nuts ? help.

pooh

Don't let these judgmental people ruin your good time! They are just probably jealous that you are going on a great vacation, and they are not! You don't need their approval. Your child will be perfectly fine!

Don't let these judgmental people ruin your good time! They are just probably jealous that you are going on a great vacation, and they are not! You don't need their approval. Your child will be perfectly fine!

EXACTLY!

Those people have NO idea what they are talking about. Not even a clue.

Ignore them.

pooh

Just got back from a trip with a 6 year old and 4 year old. It is very safe. The counselors have degrees in education or something similar, are lots of fun and great with the kids. They are in a room where the only way in or out is blocked off or has a door and you already mention the deck phone plus the kids are all given motion detector bracelets. I was totally confident leaving my kids at AO. My daughter was sitting by the H2O zone one day and asked to go to the "kids club" instead!

For those who worry too much about these sort of things, tell them you are trying to raise your kids so they won't turn out to be clingy, dependent, untrusting adults. :rolleyes:

No one has mentioned it yet, but there is not an opportunity for one of the counselors to be alone with children. There are always multiple eyes watching.

My kids love AO! Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

motion detectors? even on princess?? that is kinda cool.

thank you all for your comforting words. shes an only child and all of a sudden i let that all get to me. i know better.

pooh

That poster was talking about Royal Caribbean. The kids in the younger group (3-5) wear security braclets that must be logged out of the computer before they can leave the Adventure Ocean area (on some ships)

I don't know if Princess has the same.

I know that in our experience, the kids clubs are VERY secure. Some cruise lines use pass words. Some use security braclets. Some use very high locked doors (with security cameras posted at the front so the parents can see what's going on in the back, this was Carnival)

The kids are never alone. There is always more than one counselor at any given time. :D

Until you experience it, you will be nervous. I am sure we all were the first time.

We took our 4 year old on his first cruise in February. He was 4 and 3 months. He had a wonderful time! The ships in general tend to be quite safe, I think. You will have wonderful memories afterwards - so don't mind any negative comments! You know the children you are traveling with and if you think it will go well - it will!

Enjoy every minute!:)

I also questioned the kids club setup, and did a lot of online sniffing around for complaints/accidents/dissatisfied parents, but found very, very little except for some older kids/teens not liking the program, and some sensitive kids being overwhelmed/overstimulated. I think if the programs were not good and people were having bad experiences, that it'd be trumpeted all over the internet, but it's not. (Note I have no actual experience, as of yet...)

I thought I was the only one who had people questioning me about cruising with my 3yr old DS. I was told by a co-worker, who has never set foot on a cruise, that I can't have a balcony cabin that it wouldn't be safe for my DS because he could fall over the railing. Does she think I'd leave him on the balcony alone, maybe lock him out there for the length of the cruise or something???:rolleyes: Well, we (DH and I)have crusied several times and both are looking forward to the fun and exciting thimes our DS will have cruising with us and in no way have any dobuts about having him along on our "family" vacation. Aren't family vacations for the whole family??? I told my co-worker she was crazy...

Enjoy your cruise...

Archived