Rental Car in Lahaina (Maui)

travelynn

We will be on a 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Serenade of the Seas leaving LA October 3 of this year. We are interested in renting a car in Maui where we will be tendered at Lahaina. Can anyone tell me which car rental firms might have offices at or near the place where we will be tendered? The ones I have accessed so far seem to be located at Kuanapoli Beach. Do those companies provide transportation to and from the pier?

Thanks for any info.

Lynn

Here's part of my post from tonight on the Alamo in Hilo thread:

Some general notes: There are no rental companies and no rental car deliveries right to the piers. Period. It would be impossible in terms of space, logistics, staff/time, and security. Renting through the cruise lines does not get you any priority for the shuttles or in line at the rental company. I guess it's more a convenience for those who might not want to have to handle the rental themselves or if they want a last minute rental (because sometimes the cruise line will have "leftover" reservations available during the cruise)....

For Lahaina, Maui, you can use the West Maui Airport (JHM) at "rental row" (as I call it) just south of the airport and about 15 minutes by shuttle. There are also a few locations at hotels in Ka'anapali (less than 10 minute shuttle ride north of Lahaina). Hertz and Enterprise both have locations in Ka'anapali. Don't be fooled by addresses that say "Lahaina" because most of those are actually on Ka'anapali at the beach hotels. Another option is Hertz, which is actually in Lahaina on Papalaua (a 15 minute walk or short shuttle ride from the tender pier; look for Papalaua on the address for the correct location). Do not under any circumstances reserve at OGG if you are tendered in Lahaina. It's almost an hour's drive down and across the island, and no company will shuttle to Lahahina from Kahului. (Besides, who wants to use 2 hours just getting to and from the rental location.)

Hope that helps.

beachchick

There is a car rental place right across from the tender pier. They only have a couple of bigger vehicles. We rented a Jeep Unlimited (which is really too small for 6 people). They have a lot of higher end cars, but a lot of jeeps and a few Chevy Ventures. It is called Aloha Toy Store. They were very convenient. It will probably be cheaper at the airport beachchick recommends, but we were short of time, and the jeep was only $10 more than the airport.

Mimikens,

Thanks for the info. After reviewing lots of information about the drive to Hana and how the driver does not get much chance to enjoy the scenery on the winding twisty roads, we have decided to book a tour with Ekahi Tours so that all of us can enjoy the adventure. Thus, we will not need a car afterall.

Lynn

Mimikens,

Thanks for the info. After reviewing lots of information about the drive to Hana and how the driver does not get much chance to enjoy the scenery on the winding twisty roads, we have decided to book a tour with Ekahi Tours so that all of us can enjoy the adventure. Thus, we will not need a car afterall.

Lynn

As the driver, I can verify that statement! However, I got a lot of complaints because I wouldn't stop when asked ("no, we are on a blind curve on a tiny little road", "no, we are on a one lane bridge"). We still had a great time. Enjoy.

There is a car rental place right across from the tender pier. They only have a couple of bigger vehicles. We rented a Jeep Unlimited (which is really too small for 6 people). They have a lot of higher end cars, but a lot of jeeps and a few Chevy Ventures. It is called Aloha Toy Store. They were very convenient. It will probably be cheaper at the airport beachchick recommends, but we were short of time, and the jeep was only $10 more than the airport.

Aloha. I just want to clarify that I am not recommending the JHM locations over other locations. My goal is simply to list as many options as possible. There are more options (that is more major companies) available through the West Maui Airport locations, but that doesn't mean they're best or that we prefer them. If we were going to rent for a tender stop at Lahaina, we'd probably use the Hertz right in Lahaina on Papalaua, regardless of whether it cost more than JHM or the Ka'anapali hotel offices. And we'd do it for the same reason you didn't fuss over that extra $10: Close to the pier, convenient, and quick. I think it's great that you've got this information to give members more information and choices.

Truth is that we've never rented on the west side. We've never tendered at Lahaina, but only docked at Kahului or flown into OGG.

beachchick

Archived