What is going on?

Sbilko

Has anyone else been following the HAL Panama Canal repo cruises for this fall? They do not seem to be selling very fast. Last spring’s repo cruises where sold out months in advance. Anyone know what is going on?

Maybe some people can't don't want to spend that kind of money. Remember that repositioning cruises start in one city and end in another -- thus no round trip airfare.

KK,

Our airfare is under $400 each, flights to start point of crusie and return to our starting point. In total $'s, this cruise is less per day :) then our first one with HAL, in 1995, not including inflation. We were told by a CC member that these Canal repos always sail full, but there is still lots of space. Maybe the economy?

Economy for sure. Although it sounds like you got a deal on your flights, a lot of people considering such a cruise probably face a very expensive flight to the port of embarkation and a very expensive flight home, not to mention the cost of the cruise itself.

More likely has something to do with the economy...

Oh come one now... it can't be the economy... haven't we all just received our economic stimulus check in the mail. I know it really stimulated me and my spending :D

Oh come one now... it can't be the economy... haven't we all just received our economic stimulus check in the mail. I know it really stimulated me and my spending :D

Not everyone has received it yet. It should be enough to pay for the fuel surcharges and extra luggage costs! :rolleyes:

I will have to agree about the cost of flying. My wife and I are giving up our Hawaii trip for a 4 day repo cruise on Oosterdam in September. Air to Vancouver $183.00 pp... Air to hawaii $736.00.. It's a no brainer. :eek:

.... and the time of year. These repos are at the end of one season and the beginning of another..... so not the optimal weather either.

I don't think the weather has a thing to do with it - Otherwise, previous years repositioning cruises wouldn't have sold either.

When folks are concerned about their jobs, homes are being foreclosed right and left, living expenses are going up and airfares are increasing daily, folks don't generally book cruises.

We're on the same Panama Canal cruise as Sbilko and agree. There's lots more availability this year than there was at the same time last year before our 2007 Canal cruise.

The economy is definitely the major factor, I think. Many people are holding onto their money a little tighter and are not spending it on discretionary items such as cruises.

Carnival just announced they'd remove one ship from Europe in 2009 and reposition it in Baltimore for 7-day Caribbean sailings. The cost of international airfare and the value of the US dollar vs the Euro have apparently made Carnival decide to cruise from another US homeport year-round.

It's going to be an interesting couple of years in the cruise biz. I suspect we'll see some very favorable pricing coming along ...

I will now step off my soapbox...

.... and the time of year. These repos are at the end of one season and the beginning of another..... so not the optimal weather either.
IMO, for the Panama Canal, it's best to go as early in April or as late in Oct as possible, because of the heat.

The cruise lines are thinking strategically ... as has been mentioned, the cost of flying has gone up a fair amount this past year - and it is definitely due to increased fuel cost which is tied to the allowance of the US dollar floating down, down ... hence, they know that less folks will spend the significantly increased fares just so they can take a cruise in distant ports. Caribbean cruises are inexpensive to get to and run .. plus the excursions are limited, inexpensive, and the trips are indeed relaxing .. we relaxed more on our December Caribbean cruise than on our recent Med cruise - by a long shot!

harry

It's still alittle early to assess the repo cruise. Once we get within the 90 day window you will be able to see more. Once the blocked space has to be returned by the travel industry and the line is caught flat footed will we see how things are going. In past years many of these cruises were not full and the final months had some very low prices.

The ecomony is going to play a big factor in cruise bookings.

I have to agree with those that are of the opinion that it is the US economy that is causing folks to pull back from spending money on cruises.

We're on the Veendam repos in Sept. We switched from a Carnival 12 day Med cruise we had booked for the virtually the same date. As air fares continued to increase and the Euro continued to strengthen we discovered that we could do the 36 day Veendam repos for about $1500 more, (all costs calculated). It became a no brainer. We live in Vancouver so we basically lock the front door and walk on the ship, and the air fare home from Tampa will probably be up around $ 850.

When we booked two months ago we couldn't get the "S" Cat cabin we wanted because they were sold out, and we only made it into a Verandah B by the skin of our teeth. I haven't checked in the last couple of weeks, but everything in the popular cabins had been sold out...there were some insides and OV cabins available.Now that may change as 'final payment day' comes along in a couple of weeks and things shake loose.

Archived