Room sizes on French Barges

p598738

We did the 20 passenger Lafayette. The cabins are very very small. The beds are placed in an L shape. There are drawers under the beds. If a drawer is open only one person has room to stand - if there are 2 of you one has to sit on the bed. The bathroom was very very small also.

The newer riverboats have cabins similar to cabin sizes on cruise ships. At least that was true on the Poetry.

But who cares about the cabins - the cruise was fabulous and so much fun. We did Burgundy for 6 nights. It was one of the best trips we have taken.

I'm looking at French barge trips. They have around 20 passengers. It seems like the rooms are very very small even compared to the river boat rooms. Can anyone comment ? Thanks.

The cabins on the Avalon river cruise ships are not small at all at 172 sq ft.

Cool Cruiser,

We took an OAT barge trip in France a year and a half ago. We've traveled quite a bit, and that trip was certainly one of the best, if not the best. I don't remember the dimensions of the room, but it was actually larger than I thought it would be. I'm 6'2", about 200lbs, and I had no problem. I'm not saying it was huge, but it was all my wife and I needed.

We had 21 guests in our group and was, as I said above, wonderful.

MISGIVINGS

Cool Cruiser,

We took an OAT barge trip in France a year and a half ago. We've traveled quite a bit, and that trip was certainly one of the best, if not the best. I don't remember the dimensions of the room, but it was actually larger than I thought it would be. I'm 6'2", about 200lbs, and I had no problem. I'm not saying it was huge, but it was all my wife and I needed.

We had 21 guests in our group and was, as I said above, wonderful.

MISGIVINGS

So few people have taken a barge trip. We also think it is one of the best trips we have ever taken. We were in Burgundy and had Karen (the manager) and her husband John (the driver/guide). John was so great - we went to places the river cruisers aren't allowed. I am glad to hear that OAT has not spoiled the experience. We were a little worried when the 'big' company took over so many of the barge trips.

We just got back from a barge trip on a 22 passenger vessel - Lorraine. The cabins were compact, but efficient and with ample storage. The bathroom was small but adequate, and the shower was as large as some on ocean cruse ships I've taken. Do not be discouraged from taking a barge trip because of the size of the cabin. You're only in it long enough to change clothes and sleep. The experience of travelling along scenic canals, visiting charming villages and going through the locks along the canal is well worth any space issues of a cabin.

Archived