Best Place to Snorkel?

pharmerjenn

We are 2 adult females going on a once in a life time vacation (leaving husbands and kids at home!!!). Can only afford to snorkel once in either Cozumel, Costa Maya, or Grand Cayman. We would also like to do one other excursion. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks for the help!:confused:

Dzul ha has good snorkeling, is close to the ship docks and you can easily take a taxi there for WAY less than a ship's snorkeling excursion cost. Go there first thing when it is least crowded and the water conditions are best. Information on most all the other Coz beaches can be found on the cozumelinsider.com web site.

It is that you only are interested in snorkeling once during your cruise or you would like to snorkel more than once, but you think you are limited by your budget to snorkeling once?

What other excursion are you interested in doing? Some excursions are island specific, like if you want to snorkel with the stingrays, you will have to do that in Grand Cayman, and there again, the ship's excursion will the most expensive way to do that. Do you want a day to just hang out at the beach? My pick would be Costa Maya because it would be easy, inexpensive and you can get a 30 minute massage for $25. For in/underwater activites, Coz and Grand Cayman are the best of the 3.

What are your other interests?

Budget is a big concern. I would love to snorkel at all 3, but my friend only wants to once. We were looking at doing one of the 4x4 adventure tours or something exciting. We are not big drinkers. She will not kyak, or canoe or small boat (hey, she gave me her extra ticket so I can't complain). Should we boat to snorkel, or do it from shore? That she would do. Would like to sight see. Thanks for responding.

In Costa Maya you can take a $5.00 taxi ride to Majahual or walk, it's about a 2 mile walk I think, go to some of the beach bars and ask if there are any locals that can take you out. The snorkling is very close and very good. You should get a good price and don't be afraid to bargain the price, all they can say is no. I recommend you rent snorkle equipment from the cruise ship and take it with you.

I do not know about Costa Maya, but if you have your own equipment or rent it from the ship, you can snorkel very inexpensively in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Having equipment also allows you get a little snorkeling in even if you plan to do other things.)

In Cozumel you have several choices including Chakanaub(sp) Park (taxi - $10 each way, entry $12 per person) . There is also a little snorkeling at Paradise Beach (taxi ?, entry free, snorkel equipment $5) .

In Grand Cayman, there is a free snorkeling area within walking distance to the ship. Check the Grand Cayman board for details.

• 4 weeks later...

We've snorkeled at all three places. You won't be disappointed. But if it's a bargain you're looking for try the Snorkeling trip with Soto's Cruises. It was only $24 pp for a three hour, three stop trip including Stingray City! (and this includes transportation to and from their boat.) It was a fantastic experience. We saw a moray eel, otopus and so many beautiful fish. Stingray City should be on everyone's Grand Cayman list. Soto's does a fabulous job. We've gone with them twice and we would definitely use them again. What a bargain!

Does Sotos have a web site? thanks :)

Splinkaone,

Yes they do, it's at: http://www.sotoscruises.com/

pharmerjenn,

We've also used Soto's in Grand Cayman and had a GREAT time. Last year it was only US$19, but I guess like everything else, it's gone up a little. But still US$24 is a GREAT price for ALL they do. Includes your snorkeling grear, mini-van transportation from the dock area to their boat and return, and like "CC Cruiser" mentioned has three snorkeling stops, including Stingray City. They use a half covered flat pontoon boat, holds about 36 people max. There are two large ladders, one on each side to aid in getting in and out of the water. On our excusrsion there were two young men who helped feed the stingrays and held them for pictures. Be sure to take a waterproof camera and ENJOY ! :D

Archived