Juneau -Any quick eateries near dock?

2hapas

The gift shop closest to the dock has a little place with sandwiches and salads, as I recall. That's what we did for lunch when we were there in 2005 and had just a little time between excursions.

I'll go ahead and ask which cruiseline as there are multiple docks in Juneau. We were at the AJ dock last week on Rhapsody of the Seas which was the farthest from town and required a shuttle bus or a long walk. If your excursions are cruiseline excursions which meet at the pier, then you won't have enough time to go into town for even a quick lunch with only 45 minutes between excursions.

Last week while on the Oosterdam, we docked at the AJ dock but had time before our excursion so we took the shuttle bus (about a 1 mile drive but through an industrial type area) for $3/person RT in to the main dock area, near the Mt Roberts Tram. We ate at the Twisted Fish and it was quick, delicious and reasonably priced and less than a block from the tram area.

http://twistedfish.hangaronthewharf.com/

Paradise Cafe is supposed to be right across the street from the HAL dock. Their address is 245 Marine Way. I am stopping there on my way to the Adventure Bound Dock. They have a nice veggie wrap I will pick up on my way. I was told if you ask anyone on the dock they can direct you there.

I'll go ahead and ask which cruiseline as there are multiple docks in Juneau. We were at the AJ dock last week on Rhapsody of the Seas which was the farthest from town and required a shuttle bus or a long walk. If your excursions are cruiseline excursions which meet at the pier, then you won't have enough time to go into town for even a quick lunch with only 45 minutes between excursions.

Hi wrp96,

Our excursions are through the cruise line and we are sailing on HAL - Oosterdam.

Thanks.

We will have 45 minutes between excursions, is there anywhere near the dock that we can grab a quick bite to eat? :rolleyes:

Zip back onboard and grab a bite at the buffet. You already paid for it.

Zip back onboard and grab a bite at the buffet. You already paid for it.

Thanks, this is our first cruise so I wasn't sure how much time it took to get on and off the ship. I wanted to make sure if we couldn't do that we would have somewhere nearby to grab a fast lunch. ;)

Thanks, this is our first cruise so I wasn't sure how much time it took to get on and off the ship. I wanted to make sure if we couldn't do that we would have somewhere nearby to grab a fast lunch. ;)

Earlier I asked a question about having enough time between two excursions and having lunch on the ship. Someone responded that you should allow 15 minutes to board, and 15 minutes to leave.

Paradise Cafe is supposed to be right across the street from the HAL dock. Their address is 245 Marine Way. I am stopping there on my way to the Adventure Bound Dock. They have a nice veggie wrap I will pick up on my way. I was told if you ask anyone on the dock they can direct you there.

There's large round signs with the docks' letters on them. The HAL dock is E, which will be easy to spot if there's not a HAL ship in port.

To the OP: Paradise is pretty fast. With only 45 minutes, I wouldn't chance a sitdown restaurant, because I love this town, but I'll confess that service is pretty bad in restaurants. (Simple fact of minimum wage means living below the poverty line and low unemployment adds up to servers not exactly dedicated to their craft.)

Besides, there's tons of quick, yummy places, particularly near the HAL dock. Paradise is very good, with cafe style soup, quiche and sandwiches. There's street vendors like Bernadette's Filipino food straight across from the dock, and behind the parking garage, the Crab shack has been joined by a Mexican and a crepe place. All these places have covered seating, although they are open to the air.

It's not something I do--my rule is, if I'm not on the Grand Canal in Venice, I'm not dining out doors--but most people would be comfortable. Also, inside The Wharf, the big blue building next to the HAL dock, there's a soup/sandwich place, and a Russian dumpling place.

Earlier I asked a question about having enough time between two excursions and having lunch on the ship. Someone responded that you should allow 15 minutes to board, and 15 minutes to leave.

I dunno who said that, but in the middle of the day, you can get on and get off about as fast as you can walk.

Just back from Dawn Princess 05-27 to 06-06 sailing. In Juneau we went to Red Dog Saloon on our way back to the ship. It is close to all docks, easy 10-15 minutes walk from Franklin Dock (the farthest from the Red Dog). Food is good, entertainment is fun, good service, and great draft Alaskan Amber beer!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

AlinaMaria

We ate at the Hanger, overlooking the water at the docks. Same owners as the Twisted Fish but slightly less expensive. Great food the Halibet fish and chips was the best I had during our whole two weeks. If you tell them you have a time crunch I'm sure they would do thier best to accomodate you.

I would try to reboard and grab something on the ship. You've already paided for it...why spend more onshore? My daughters did this two years ago...we had just gotten off and they both said they were thirsty. I thought for a minute and then turned around and pointed at the ship. They were back off in under 10 minutes! Problem solved!

Archived