San Blas Islands, Panama.....

I was just perusing some cruise brochures from the 1980's and I had forgotten how the San Blas Islands were such a popular port for ships back then. Almost every Caribbean and Panama Canal itinerary I found had San Blas Islands listed. Now, in 2008, I can't think of one ship that visits that port. Does anyone know why it was dropped?

Michael

I don't know why it was dropped, but I remember the locals diving off their dugouts for change. They would not dive for pennies though. The captain played the song " Money, money" while the passengers threw loose change over the side of the ship for the locals to dive for.

I also remember the beautiful handicrafts the women did. I still have a bag that I use from visiting there. That was a Sitmar cruise to remember going through the Panama Canal.

I remember that island, I was also on a sitmar cruise when we went to it,

I was 18 at the time, I still have in my memory box some of these hand

made parrot type things that you maybe sew on a shirt or something like that,

my mother has some other items that say san blas island but I cannot think of what right now.

I do remember seeing all the children all over and feeling terrible for the

conditions there.

I dont remember the change diving but I do know my mom who cruised

alot when I was younger had many experiences of that from the rotterdam

from various places.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I visted the San Blas Islands on a partial Panama Canal transit aboard the Dolphin Line in the early 90's. It was one the best ports that we have ever visited. When we docked there, it was like a sceen out of the movie Hawaii, with all of the natives rowing toward the ship in their canoes to dive for coins. Our snorkeling guide Marcel's plane had crashed landed on the Islands small runway several years before. After his recovery he became the snorkeling guide for the visiting cruise ships. We went all around the Islands in a wooden powered canoe looking for areas to explore. San Blas was probably the most primitive place we have ever visted. It was a fantastic experience.

I also remember visiting San Blas while on several Sitmar cruises. My favorite molas are still hanging on my walls.

I was once told that the reason the ships don't stop there anymore is the massive size of the ships now. In the old Sitmar days, maybe a few hundred people would visit, but now, can you imagine a mega ship unloading 3000+ people on that island?

I believe the Pacific or Royal Princesses stop there on certain itineraries.

I remember that island, I was also on a sitmar cruise when we went to it,

I was 18 at the time, I still have in my memory box some of these hand

made parrot type things that you maybe sew on a shirt or something like that,

my mother has some other items that say san blas island but I cannot think of what right now.

I do remember seeing all the children all over and feeling terrible for the

conditions there.

I dont remember the change diving but I do know my mom who cruised

alot when I was younger had many experiences of that from the rotterdam

from various places.

I still have my collection of framed "molas"..the reverse applique, fabric "pictures"..have added some since BOS cruise of '07. We used to take the sml paks of jelly/jam, when we went ashore. The kiddies loved them. I found their (Cuna Indians) quiet simple, and refreshing!.. We hada displaced American get on board port b4 SB..and lecture..he was so very interesting!

I still have my collection of framed "molas"..the reverse applique, fabric "pictures"..have added some since BOS cruise of '07. We used to take the sml paks of jelly/jam, when we went ashore. The kiddies loved them. I found their (Cuna Indians) quiet simple, and refreshing!.. We hada displaced American get on board port b4 SB..and lecture..he was so very interesting!

I also have molas framed, beautiful work...to pretty to use on a pillow

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the sail down memory lane! San Blas was great, we went with Dolphin which was pretty skany from what I remember. But San Blas was great. And I still have several Molas. And, yes, I felt bad for the locals but they looked so happy!!! I remember wanting to go swimming and being led in the opposite direction..."This way for swimming, this way for bathing." And I'm almost glad it's off the big ship stop. Between locals diving for money and the extreme # of tourists tramping around the island, I'm sure it was too much. And they probably made a "Boatload" of money from all the tourists!

• 3 weeks later...

I was born and raised in Panama and visited the San Blas Islands many times. On weekends, the ladies would come into town with their children to sell their molas. I have quite a few framed and displayed in our home. I also have about 10 of them just tucked away which I have not done anything with. Talk about memories.........

DJ127

We were on the Pacific Princess transpacific cruise in January and made a stop at San Blas Island. It was on the itinerary but we had no idea what to expect. What a delightful surprise! We didn't see any boats coming out to greet us or anybody diving for money. The water was very choppy and there was some discussion about whether or not the tenders could safely land. I'm so glad we did and treasure the mola I had framed.

We lived in Panama in the mid 80's and spent a week at the San Blas Islands. It was a vacation of a lifetime. We flew from Panama City to the islands on a very small plane that landed on a very small island.

The hotel was very primative - no locks on the doors, bamboo walls, and salt water showers.

I would love to go back. We are booked for a Panama Canal Cruise in 2010 on HAL but it is not listed as a stop. I hope to at least see the islands as we sail past.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a Panama Canal "Dolphin" cruise back in 97. We sailed the Island Breeze out of Montego Bay. I took the family on the PC cruise to introduce them to the home where I was born and lived until I was a teenager. We stopped at the San Blas Islands where my young daughter (5 yrs. old at the time) traded a kite for a hand carved wooden boat.The Kuna indians are , to say the least, a very interesting people.

DJ127, I am indeed a canal zone brat having been born in Margarita , CZ. With regards to your other post, I remember the name Urey from my days at CHS. If you have not been, you should visit the czbrat website for a real "nostalgia journey"!

Archived