Thinking of booking on Spirit

Fire LT

Hello all, I am thinking of booking a cruise on the Spirit for next May (May 22-29, 2009). It is sailing out of Boston (just an hour from home) going to Bermuda. My DW and I have sailed the Majesty twice out of Boston for Bermuda and loved it. We both love Bermuda. We like that the Spirit will be docked for 3 days at Kings Wharf which allows us to do both "organized" tours and to also strike out on our own. If we take this cruise we will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniverasry (May 25th). We are reasonably seasoned cruisers (CCL Victory and Miracle, 2 on NCL Majesty, Disney and Big Red boat). Just trying to get a feel for how people enjoyed, or not enjoyed, the Spirit (both good and not so good experiences).

Since join Cruised Critics I have gotten some great information so coming to all you fine folks for info on this NCL ship.

Thanks for any and all input you can proved,

Fire LT (Alan D.)

Here are my Spirit pros and cons:

Pros:

1. Beautiful, tasteful Asian decor

2. Perfect sized ship...nothing was too far away (it's a big larger than the Majesty if I remember, but not TOO big)

3. Great bathrooms (big showers)

Cons:

1. Some public rooms worse for wear (windows and blinds were the most obvious places), but it honestly didn't bother me much

2. Location of main dining rooms can be tricky to master finding.

Other comments that are common to many NCL ships:

1. Don't like the champagne bar being in a main traffic area. Same with the Blue Lagoon.

2. Not enough chairs on decks that are outside main floors. Hard to find seating anywhere but pool decks outside.

3. La Trattoria near impossible to find, harder to get reservations. We knew that and tried to book the first night, but they weren't open the first night.

I think it would be nice for you to have a balcony on the Spirit while docked in Bermuda. I'm getting ready to book a cruise to Bermuda. I live between NYC & Philadelphia, but I'm also considering driving to Boston & booking on the Spirit again. I also wrote a Spirit CC review last month. Since you liked the Majesty I would think you would also like the Spirit.

We really enjoyed the Spirit - great crew - beautiful decor and the perfect size - she's running/limping a little slower these days (engine problem) but after the dry dock to retrofit the engine she'll be plugging away at full speed again. :)

We really enjoyed the Spirit - great crew - beautiful decor and the perfect size - she's running/limping a little slower these days (engine problem) but after the dry dock to retrofit the engine she'll be plugging away at full speed again. :)

Limping around at 23 knots can only be written for just a few cruise ships. Most cruise ships can't even match that when perfectly healthy. :rolleyes:

Other than the Owner's Suites being quite oddly laid out and wired (Bath is part of the MBR, but you can turn on the lights for just the shower stall, but for the commode stall ALL the lights go on--that's backwards. If you have to use the facilities in the middle of the night you either do it in darkness or the place lights up like Yankee Stadium for a night game!).

Ceilings tend to be a bit low--apparently Asians trend shorter than North Americans and Europeans.

Otherwise she's a lovely ship with a fine staff.

Hello all, Thanks to everyone for there responces. I knew the fine folks at Cruise Critics would be a big help. Your comments have removed any remaining doubts and it looks like I will book for next May to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. This will be our 3rd cruise with NCL (both priors were on the Majesty out of Boston to Bermuda).

If others have comments about the Spirit, please feel free to provide them.

Thanks again all,

Alan D.

Archived