Booked my airfare today!! Did prices drop???

red1der1

I have been searching for about 2 weeks for airfare for my Oct cruise. Seemed like almost everyday the prices were creeping up a bit higher each time I checked. Well, I now have the money and went to check prices since another airline announced 2 days ago about prices going up again, and the price has actually dropped for the flight I wanted. It was 305.00 this past Monday, 277.00 yesterday and today I checked it was 230.00. I was so surprised and excited that I just booked it. Who knows it may even go down more tomorrow but I didn't want to chance it. I wonder if US Air lowered their prices knowing that the others are going up to lure more people?? Whatever their strategy is, it worked on me, LOL!!

:D :D

Hmmmmm....I will have to check. I was on last night looking at air for a February 09 cruise and the rates had almost doubled :eek: since the last time I looked a couple in April.

If it has gone down any...I am with you and will book it on the spot!!

I have been searching for about 2 weeks for airfare for my Oct cruise. Seemed like almost everyday the prices were creeping up a bit higher each time I checked. Well, I now have the money and went to check prices since another airline announced 2 days ago about prices going up again, and the price has actually dropped for the flight I wanted. It was 305.00 this past Monday, 277.00 yesterday and today I checked it was 230.00. I was so surprised and excited that I just booked it. Who knows it may even go down more tomorrow but I didn't want to chance it. I wonder if US Air lowered their prices knowing that the others are going up to lure more people?? Whatever their strategy is, it worked on me, LOL!!

Could have something to do with this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/05/BU0P113C2J.DTL

or this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/05/BUPH11415I.DTL

Getting scary out there.........

Quoted from the Continental article:

"... the major carriers will have to significantly raise fares in the second half of the year to try to cover crude oil costs ..."

My March '09 airfare was $458pp on May 12th. When it reached $502 two weeks later I pulled the trigger and purchased. I checked today and it's $506. I'm guessing the above quote will come to be.

My flight is still more than I normally pay to fly to Fl. I flew 3 different trips in the past 6 months to Fl and it usually cost around 150.00-200.00 from my city. So the 230.00 is higher than normal. I was expecting to pay somewhere around 300.00 for this flight and was very surprised to see the price come down. So the price is still higher but no way near what I expected or what I am seeing others pay for their flights.

You were smart to jump on it...Good for you!! :D

We booke our air 2 weeks ago at $273 to Miami as the price kept going up. Now it has been fluctuating between over $500.00 to as little as $198.00 pp rt. on a daily basis. I don't get it. We ended up getting credit for future air as I called right away. The next day it was up again to $317. I think the same jokers fixing the gas prices have their hands on the airfares as well.:rolleyes:

I am flying to Orlando in Nov.08 & my airfare has gone up from $241.50pp when I booked in May to $405pp today on US Air. So I can only see increases... Hopefully that will change soon as I need to book air for next April..

In the beginning of the year I was torn between booking with Jetblue or waiting for SW to open up. I ended up booking with Jetblue worrying that the wait might not pan out and I am glad I did. I paid 702 for 3 r/t tickets from Boston to MCO, today those same tickets are 1272, it's getting scary.

Yesterday I got my final bill in the mail from my oil company for last years budget plan (locked in at $2.59 per gallon) there was no mention of whether or not they were even considering budget plans this year (fingers crossed they will)

Anybody remember in the 70s and 80s how people just didn't get on a plane for any reason? Costs were prohibitive for families unless it was an emergency. Everybody drove to go on vacation! Gas was also high then for the time. Salaries were lower. I would love to go back to those "high" gas prices of the 70s! :D I only have knowledge from Oklahoma to anywhere....long before Southwest came into play. So I find it amazing that we have had such cheap airfare for so long a time. It was bound to happen...the airlines cannot keep up with oil prices. Makes sense to charge for luggage. But why not weigh carry-ons? I can pack a really heavy carry-on.;)

Which brings to mind...why do they want to keep those high-salaried execs if the airlines are losing money? They have to offer million dollar PLUS bonuses to keep them from going to another company. If airlines are not profitable, why keep the execs? Good old boy system at its best??? Do they get on each other's boards of directors and keep voting for raises and bonuses for each other?

I know oil prices are a huge part of it, but airlines have been going downhill since 9-11. My husband was laid off from an airline immedately after 9-11. He had been there 6 years. Now he is back, but making only $8.00 per hour! At least he still has his foot in the door and keeps adding to retirement and seniority. Now new layoffs are scheduled from MOST major airlines and ALL seem to be grounding planes. Then they give execs $7 million dollars to stay another year! Each person!

So will air fares ever be cheap again? Probably not! This will probably be our first and only cruise since he will probably be laid off again. They may go back ten years of seniority this time. There are people who have been there since 1942 and are in hover-rounds. They cannot physically do their jobs, but get the highest salaries! NO flames please! Just stating the facts. I understand that they need to work too to keep busy and enjoy life. I get that! Execs with huge salaries and bonuses..The list goes on.

I am a teacher and work my tail off all year long. Then I have no job during the summer...no pay check for 3 months. Gripes me that I have to scrimp and save for 20+ years just to go on a cruise.

I apologize to anyone I may offend. Can you tell I am frustrated that I cannot find cheap air fare now that my cruise is booked! Non-revenue flights don't happen now. We have to pay just like anyone else. That was the only benefit we liked since he makes only $8.00 per hour. Now we can't use it.:( Please, I meant no disrespect about the execs or hover-rounds. I simply meant that some people's salaries are so outrageous. I am just jealous.:o I have been teaching over 10 years and just now get over $30,000 with 7 years of college.:eek:

Again, as I recommended in the most recent "airfare" thread, if you go to the Cruise Air board, you'll find all sorts of great info on booking your airfare.

Before reading there, I had no idea that airfares on a particular route can not only change frequently, but can change multiple times a day!

So, just because you see a fare has gone up a few dollars, that doesn't mean it will forever continue to rise.

Of course, these days, it's entirely possible that it WILL continue to rise. :eek:

But, like everything else, it pays to be as informed as possible. There are sites for which you can register, put in your route(s), and they will alert you if there's a fare drop.

Thanks to a thread on that board, I checked Southwest about 3 weeks before our Glory cruise last month. I found NONSTOP flights RDU to Orland for $305. Total. For 2 people. Sure was more appealing that sitting in the car for an entire day each way!

I am not booking any cruise to which I can't drive. I will then keep my eye on air, and if I find a great deal like I did recently, I'll book it and fly. If not, I'll just drive.

"sweet crude set a high of $139.01 before edging down to trade up $10.47 at $138.26 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The surge followed an analyst's prediction that would it could reach $150 a barrel by July 4, a decline in the dollar and fresh tensions in the Middle East."

Again.... I predict air fares will only go up.

We booked our airfare last week, and it has since gone up, plus they have sent a e-mail changing the time to an earlier time leaving Miami.

I am glad we booked, plus allowed several days of travel, in case more changes are in the future.

We had canceled our Hawaian vacation in Aug. cuz the air fares with

Hawaian Air was so high..then i saw the price drop $200..

I showed it to the wife and she said BOOK IT DAN_O :D

but now im waiting on SW to publish their fares for Jan 09:confused:

Last week I booked our airfare out of CVG (Cincinnati) to FLL (Fort Lauderdale), and got a great price $320 per person. I that doesn't sound all that good, but CVG is one of the most expensive airport to the country. I couldn't believe that great price with the way gas prices and the weak dollar.

2 months ago I booked our airfare with Delta going to Tampa for our October '08 cruise. At the time the cost was $290/pp. Now when I looked up the same flights for a friend it has gone up to $685/pp. At the time I booked I had considered waiting to see if a lower fare would be available, it has yet to go lower than what I booked it for.

Hi,

For our honeymoon we booked American Airlines in January from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale, the cost at the time was 711.00 for two round trip non stop tickets. I went to check when I saw this and the tickets are 1918.00 for the same flight. I could not believe my eyes. Are we lucky or what that we bought early. Advice would be to purchase A.S.A.P. Pete

The more planes they take out of service the less seats will be available therefore reducing the amount of reduced rates to fill them.

None of it is good. We are in for some tough times and I am getting in all the cruises I can before things go "poof".

Archived