White Pass Scenic Railway

NW Pacific

I'm fairly confident that all the cars have restrooms - at least ours did! I highly recommend that you consider doing this through Chilkoot Charters. One of the many advantages of that is that you'll be travelling one direction in a mini-van and get a different perspective, with lots of stops. I had heard of many people sleeping on their way back on the round-trip train, and thus why we went with Chilkoot.

yes, they have restrooms and a pot belly stove for heat...no air conditioners:eek:

my DH is the one that slept on the way down. the views are great, on the way up they are (over loud speakers) telling people what's what and where. coming back down it's very quiet...

Looking into doing this in Skagway, states you'll board an old-fashioned parlor car for a 40 mile r/t. Don't laugh, but does anyone know if these trains have restrooms?

Each car does have a restroom available.

Something to check if booking with a private company as I see some suggest.....read the fine print. On our trip the morning trains ended up being cancelled due to an axle breaking on the first engine going out. All those that had booked through the cruise line had no worries about getting refunded. Another passenger told me they had booked privately and were out the money (hadn't read the fine print about cancellations). :eek:

The afternoon tours did go and we were able to get on one of those trains (they'd added extra cars). We were considered a "lucky" train as we then went 7 miles further than those behind us and we did a turnaround in a circle so it didn't matter which side of the train people sat on and the commentary was up and back. It gave us a second chance at more pictures. :D We were also about 40 minutes late arriving back to the ship which waited for us since it was a ship excursion. I had no worries and enjoyed my afternoon tremendously!

Thank you all- now because of putting off booking I am conerned I will not be able to book excursions at this late date, we sail July 20th- I am unable to book on line, keep getting msg that I am already registered but can not get past that, wil call tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Something to check if booking with a private company as I see some suggest.....read the fine print. On our trip the morning trains ended up being cancelled due to an axle breaking on the first engine going out. All those that had booked through the cruise line had no worries about getting refunded. Another passenger told me they had booked privately and were out the money (hadn't read the fine print about cancellations). :eek:

The afternoon tours did go and we were able to get on one of those trains (they'd added extra cars). We were considered a "lucky" train as we then went 7 miles further than those behind us and we did a turnaround in a circle so it didn't matter which side of the train people sat on and the commentary was up and back. It gave us a second chance at more pictures. :D We were also about 40 minutes late arriving back to the ship which waited for us since it was a ship excursion. I had no worries and enjoyed my afternoon tremendously!

My Brother and family was on that train with Chilkoot Charters and they was refunded in full and given the option of taking the afternoon train which they did! They loved the train ride and Shawn was a great guide!

Stacym

Can someone give me and idea of the price of the Chilkoot Charters Carcross 9 hour train/bus excursion please?

Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 9 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $229 Adult $146 Child (12 & Under)

My Brother and family was on that train with Chilkoot Charters and they was refunded in full and given the option of taking the afternoon train which they did! They loved the train ride and Shawn was a great guide!

Stacym

Was this on May 28th? This happened to us and Chilkoot refunded money also, but we weren't offered another tour. I thought someone said the train was unfixable for the rest of the day.

Stacym

I'm glad to hear that. I don't know what company this passenger had booked with, all I knew after I heard it was I was glad I went through the cruise line.

Do they assign seats for you when you board the train? or it is first come first served? I heard one side of train has a better view of the scenery.

First come, first serve, but most people get on the car closest as they walk, so if you are running late, head towards the front for a better selection. Sit on the left for best views.

Was this on May 28th? This happened to us and Chilkoot refunded money also, but we weren't offered another tour. I thought someone said the train was unfixable for the rest of the day.

Yes, it was the 28th. Originally they were afraid no trains could go that day, but it turned out the afternoon trains did go.

Don't miss this trip. It's spectacular. And I believe it adds a lot to the experience to get up and go outside onto the platform for at least some of the time. You need to "feel" it as much as watch it. This is a train, so you can get up and move around. There are washrooms and water coolers at the back of each coach. The view is best on the left going up. It's my understanding that if you're on round-trip everyone switches sides going back. We took a bicycle back down to Skagway.

Another tip is to keep looking back at the scenery, not just forward, especially if you're only travelling one way. Some of the most beautiful pictures I got were shooting to left (on the platform).

Hi all,

We are going on the Golden princess july 26. Would you suggest taking the 3.5hr rail and bus or is the 7hr with puppy camp and lunch worth the exta money.

We includes 2 kids 11 and 16.

By the way Chilkoot Charters just emailed me a price and i guess because of the gas prices their tours have gone up about $5 adults $3 kids.

Thanks for your help.

I sure hate to contradict other posters, but we really didn't like the White Pass train ride. We took the 4 hour tour last Tuesday, and after the first 30 minutes or so we had a hard time staying awake. There was very little commentary, but then there was nothing much to mention. Just a slow train ride up a mountain and back.

We are booked on the White Pass train but I didnt' book it through the cruise ship. We only have about 45-60 minutes from the end of the train ride to get back to the ship. Does the train typically run on time? And if it's running late - will we still have time to get back to the ship - since I've heard they won't hold it for you if you don't book through them. (wish I'd known that about two weeks ago!) Also, this is REALLY silly - but when people say to sit on the left side oft he train - I assume you mean the left when you are facing forward right?

thanks!

We are booked on the White Pass train but I didnt' book it through the cruise ship. We only have about 45-60 minutes from the end of the train ride to get back to the ship. Does the train typically run on time? And if it's running late - will we still have time to get back to the ship - since I've heard they won't hold it for you if you don't book through them. (wish I'd known that about two weeks ago!) Also' date=' this is REALLY silly - but when people say to sit on the left side oft he train - I assume you mean the left when you are facing forward right?

thanks![/quote']

Going north (uphill), you want to be on the left side as you're facing the engines. There's only one track so if one train is late they all are - but they're almost always on time within 5 minutes or so, so you have ample time to get aboard.

I am taking my father on the train and he is in a wheelchair. Good to know there are restrooms in each car, but are the cars handicapped accessible? Thanks.

We missed this tour due to the train breakdown, but from what I have read there is at least one car and possibly more in each train that is handicap accessible with a lift and tiedown for wheelchairs if necessary. I would suggest that you confirm space on one of these cars ahead of time with whoever you have booked with. You can also find a lot more information on the Disabled Cruise Travel forum, searching for what you interested in.

Really hate we missed this tour. Have fun!!

Going north (uphill), you want to be on the left side as you're facing the engines. There's only one track so if one train is late they all are - but they're almost always on time within 5 minutes or so, so you have ample time to get aboard.

Another advantage to booking with Chilkoot Charters: Our group had our own rail car while those who booked with the ship were packed in the other railcars. Also, each person in our group last September were able to have their own seat on the left side facing fthe engines on the way up. I also agree with the person who suggested going out on the platform to view the scenery or to take photos. The other advantage to booking with Chilkoot Charters was our independent group continued on in a small mini bus with lots of opportunities to stop for photo ops. We booked the 7 hour tour with them last year that went as far as Emerald Lake and back to Skagway. We enjoyed the lunch, the wildlife museum, the Husky puppies training camp and so much more. This was one of the best tours we've taken. Also our little female guide was wonderful.

First come, first serve, but most people get on the car closest as they walk, so if you are running late, head towards the front for a better selection. Sit on the left for best views.

can we get drinks and something to eat while on the train

Archived