Immigration, customs and layovers in Europe

Lilbecky

I am sorry if I am asking a question that has already been asked, but I couldn't find an answer when I searched this forum.

My fiance and I will be traveling to Barcelona for our Med cruise in September. The flights we are looking at will take us thru either London, Amsterdam or Paris before heading to Barcelona. (Meaning we have to switch planes) My question is this... Will we have to pick up our luggage and go thru customs and then check back in when we first land in Europe before catching our plane to Barcelona or do we go thru all of that in Barcelona? I have heard that their is a difference between Schengen (spelling?)countries and non Schengen countries, but everyone (on different sites) seems to have a different answer.

Right now it looks like we will have an hour and 20 minute layover in Amsterdam. Will this be enough?

I have only flown overseas to Australia and we had to grab our luggage, go thru customs and then recheck our luggage in when we landed in Brisbane, but had 2 hours to do this.

Any wisdom, guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Becky

You only need to clear immigration once, at the entry point of the first Schengan country. Your luggages will be checked thru, and you collect them at your final destination where you go thru customs.

Just make sure your luggages are checked thru, when you first check-in at your departure point.

The above answers are correct. If you want further peace of mind, you can ask the airline or travel agent at the time of booking if your bags will be checked through to your final destination - they will reassure you. Also, you can check the baggage receipt tags you have issued to you at the time you check-in for your flight and you will see that it continues to Barcelona (BCN). I always look at them anyway just to be sure.

As to the layover time, that is kind of a touchy issue I have found. There is no way to answer in your specific case. If your plane arrives on time you should be ok. If it arrives two hours late well...see what I mean.

If you are worried, sometimes the airline will give you the on-time performance record of the flight you will be taking. Others won't know what you are talking about if you ask. You can research your flights on-time (performance) record at www.flightstats.com. On the planning ahead section of the first page click "on-time performance ratings" and enter your flight number.

I always advise people to take a day or two in their port of embarkation. That way, if your bags are mishandled, the airline can get them back to you before your cruise departs. Apparently, most mishandled bags are returned within 24 hours. So far, that has been my experience.

Also, there is a lot to see, and I mean a lot to see in Barcelona, so I do hope you take a couple of days to get a taste of the city (and the Tapas) :)

You are going to have a great time. Don't forget insurance.

Smooth sailing to you.

You only need to clear immigration once, at the entry point of the first Schengan country. Your luggages will be checked thru, and you collect them at your final destination where you go thru customs.

Just make sure your luggages are checked thru, when you first check-in at your departure point.

This and the prior post are correct; however, as a heads-up London/United Kingdom is not part of Shengen, so if you connect through London, you'll go through immigration when you get to your next stop. Your bags should still go through.

This and the prior post are correct; however, as a heads-up London/United Kingdom is not part of Shengen, so if you connect through London, you'll go through immigration when you get to your next stop. Your bags should still go through.

This is a very interesting point. If you don't go through immigration in London, the transfer to BCN is more efficient - you don't take-up a lot of time (in-line) going through passport control. You go through immigration at BCN. So when you land in London, you go directly to your gate.

Thanks guys so much for all of that. I feel better now. :D

We are flying in 2 days early, so that we can see Barcelona a bit and give us time for delays, missed flights or lost baggage.

I have no idea where I would be without CC. Oh wait, yes I do..... completely lost and freaking out.

Thanks again!!!

Archived