Worried about having a 2 yr old in a balcony cabin

gagirl789

Hello! My DH and I are veteran cruisers. We are looking at going on a cruise a few weeks before our son turns 2. I am worried that he might be able to get out on the balconyon his own. Does anyone have any insight that they would like to share? Our son is very tall so I think he would be able to reach any door handle with ease. We recently stayed at a hotel that only had a lock in the handle so when you were in the room all you had to do was turn the door handle and the door opened. My son thought this was hilarious at 18 months.

Thank you!

Most of the ships I have been on have a child lock near the top of the door. You can also buy alarms that hang on doors that will go off if the door moves. (good for balcony and front door). As far as the railing, with you out there it should be fine, just make sure he doesn't push a chair up to it. My daughter was a climber, but was fine on balconies.

In June of last year we took our 2 and 3 year old on the Victory and had a balcony cabin. They did have a slide lock towards the top of the door that your son wouldn't be able to reach.

As for the balcony outside....the kids were thrilled with being able to look through the glass to see the ocean but didn't try to climb on the chairs.

I had the same fear on our first cruise (dd was 15 months) so we booked OV instead of balcony.

Second cruise, dd was 5 and dh really wanted a balcony, and it worked out great--no problems.

I didn't hesitate to book the balcony for our third cruise, when ds was 2. Like cruisinmama06 said, those doors are a struggle for some adults to get open, so there's no way your ds could get out there without your help, much less without you knowing it. And when you're out there with him, the balconies are something like 48" high, so as long as you don't let him climb up on the chairs he'll be fine.

Thank you all for the replies. I found our that HAL does NOT have child locks on their balconies. Perhaps DS could not get out there without my knowing it but I would worry myself to death. Some ppl suggested using a bungie cord to secrure the door but again I would worry.

NCL has a child lock that is at the top of the balcony door. I feel this is a better option for me.

Thanks again!

The verandah door on HAL push out rather than slide. They are quite heavy and have a lot of resistance. I would doubt that a 2yr old could physically push open the balcony door. We have a 15 month old and have sailed on HAL twice with her in balcony rooms and have never had any problems. We are booked on HAL again in Feb right before our daughters 2nd birthday. We are not going to go so far as to remove the balcony furniture, but she will definitely be closely attended when on the balcony or out on any open deck for that matter.

Interesting, we always have a balcony and all the doors have been heavy. The rails are high, and the only risk is possibly standing on furniture. Move it away from the rails.

Kids do things, just never leave a young one not attended in the room. Pee with the bathroom door open. My mom is 70 and she still pees with the bathroom door open. Old habits.

Ask mom about the open door she will say you never get to old to worry about your kids. A balcony is not dangerous with a young kid. But as a parent you will worry. The kid could be two or 50 but you will worry. We have a cabin next to my folks on our next cruise. My husband is 55.

I understand your worry, but really your two year old should be fine on any cruise line with a balcony. Just pay attention. I more worry about pools.

People on the HAL board pointed out to you that they did recall a keylock with key on the verandah door on HAL ships.

Ppl did tell me this on the HAL board. My TA said no. To verify I called HAL and they told me that they had a standard lock on the door. On other lines in addition to the standard locks there are additional locks on the very top of the door. I am so short I never saw them before.

C-Cruise-Thank you for the info. HAL is a great line. Their balconies are the best!

Ula- So true about going to the bathroom with the door open! I really cannot imagine him getting onto the balcony without myself or my husband with him. I have this crazy fear that somehow he will get out there in the middle of the night. Having an extra lock at the top makes me feel better. Thanks again for the reply.

Archived