Dress Jeans in Dining Room

TNTJOE

Hi all, we are leaving for Bermuda next Sunday on the Dawn. My question is about "dress jeans"...........my darling hubby and I just lost 30 lbs each. He needed to buy some new pants, hasn't been a size 36 since we married 50 years ago. He bought a real nice pair of what I would call dress jeans,"no holes etc" like the ones the kids wear today. They are denum but not like a regular jean. I'm wondering if they will be ok for the dining room. I know he will have to wear dress pants or Dockers in the speciality dining rooms. I really like these denum ones and am hoping they will "pass inspection" for the dining room.

Hi all, we are leaving for Bermuda next Sunday on the Dawn. My question is about "dress jeans"...........my darling hubby and I just lost 30 lbs each. He needed to buy some new pants, hasn't been a size 36 since we married 50 years ago. He bought a real nice pair of what I would call dress jeans,"no holes etc" like the ones the kids wear today. They are denum but not like a regular jean. I'm wondering if they will be ok for the dining room. I know he will have to wear dress pants or Dockers in the speciality dining rooms. I really like these denum ones and am hoping they will "pass inspection" for the dining room.

Actually you will be surprised where you can wear those jeans on the cruise. NCL changed their jeans policy about a year ago.

You CAN wear jeans in ANY specialty restaurant on ANY night. (including the "Dress up or Not Night."

You can wear jeans in one of the two main restaurants on any night. One of the two main restaurants will be designated as "no jeans," but the other one will allow them. The No jeans restaurant will be listed each day in the Freestyle Daily. (on the Dawn, it is usually Venetian Main Restaurant which is no jeans and Aqua main restaurant that allows them.) Since both restaurants serve the same menu each night, it is not a big deal.

Now, I'm sure the anti jeans crowd will be weighing in here (and whining) any minute trying to tell you that wearing jeans is wrong and that it will "ruin" their dinners....they like to try and impose their personal idea of a dress code on others as you will see....... but that is the joy of Freestyle... the choice to dress as YOU want, not the way someone wants you to dress.

Have a great cruise. The Dawn is one of my favorite ships.

One thing to consider is that Jeans that are NOT blue will pass the "no jeans" tests on many ships as acceptable dinning room wear on casual nights.

As has been pointed out jeans will fine any night on NCL except in 1 designated dinning room.

Just got back from Norwegian Star and the designated dining room (Versailles) as specified in the daily never turned anyone away as far as I could see. I saw lots of people in casual clothes and in regular blue jeans waiting for tables and inside the restaurant.

I think it all depends on the hostess but at least on the Star regular jeans were fine.

My son does not own Dockers or slacks, but he does have corduroys. He has a black pair and a gray pair. They are "cut" like jeans. Will he be allowed in the Main Dining room?

Do any of the specialty restaurants have the same rules?

Without trying to open up the whole jeans discussion, here is part of the problem with allowing "dress" jeans. Already assume that the jeans being discussed are really nice and dressy, etc. Others think that ANY jeans they put on are "dress jeans", since after all, I am dressed. right? Who makes the decision on what is dressy and what is trashy? No way!

do they let some folks in anyways? Yep. The cruiseline can not win on this one.

My son does not own Dockers or slacks, but he does have corduroys. He has a black pair and a gray pair. They are "cut" like jeans. Will he be allowed in the Main Dining room?

I'm sure his cords will be fine. Especially since they are black and gray. Jean colored blue might cause a problem.

Jeans are acceptable in all specialty restaurants.

When we were on the PoAM in Hawaii, on thE optional formal night we saw Tuxedos and guys wearing SHORTS with Aloha shirts all in the same dining room - as far as we know noone was asked to leave because they were wearing shorts!

The specialty restaurants ALLOW jeans on every night.

Corduroys are a strange animal.... not quite jeans but not quite "slacks." I would classify them in the jeans catagory just to be safe.

When we were on the PoAM in Hawaii, on thE optional formal night we saw Tuxedos and guys wearing SHORTS with Aloha shirts all in the same dining room - as far as we know noone was asked to leave because they were wearing shorts!

Hawaii cruises are a different situation all together. On Hawaiian cruises, "Hawaiian attire" is considered Resort Casual. You will find it pretty much a three way split between Hawaiian, dress up and resort casual on their "Dress up or not night."

But the shorts should still be a no-no.

Just off the Pearl. Jeans where allowed in all dining rooms at all times. Not an issue of agreeing or disagreeing with the policy, NCL just doesn't enforce the policy.

as far as we know noone was asked to leave because they were wearing shorts!

That has always been a complaint toward NCL. They are extremely inconsistant in their enforcement of their easy dress code. Some ships Maitre'd's are tough as nails when it comes to the code, while others simply look the other way. I have seen it both ways.

I have a simple feeling on this.... I wish the NCL ships would all enforce the code and enforce it equally. To have a rule or a code and not enforce it simply means the rule is not necessary. NCL's dress code is very easy to adjust to and comply with. I just wish people would at least meet it.

That has always been a complaint toward NCL. They are extremely inconsistant in their enforcement of their easy dress code. Some ships Maitre'd's are tough as nails when it comes to the code, while others simply look the other way. I have seen it both ways.

I have a simple feeling on this.... I wish the NCL ships would all enforce the code and enforce it equally. To have a rule or a code and not enforce it simply means the rule is not necessary. NCL's dress code is very easy to adjust to and comply with. I just wish people would at least meet it.

Agreed, its all about self respect.

Agreed, its all about self respect.

Not only that... it is a simple matter of FOLLOWING RULES! Rules are made for ALL to follow.... not just those who feel like they should!

I love the people who look for ways to cheat on rules. What is wrong with being an adult, with a little self respect and self esteem and FOLLOW THE DARN RULES.... I love to read the sneaking alcohol threads on here, read those threads if you want to meet some lowlifes with no self respect or self esteem....

Not only that... it is a simple matter of FOLLOWING RULES! Rules are made for ALL to follow.... not just those who feel like they should!

I love the people who look for ways to cheat on rules. What is wrong with being an adult, with a little self respect and self esteem and FOLLOW THE DARN RULES.... I love to read the sneaking alcohol threads on here, read those threads if you want to meet some lowlifes with no self respect or self esteem....

Agree so much...If you can't afford a drink, you shouldnt be going on the cruise. I also think its nice to throw on a suit, see the wife in a dress and look nice. Isnt that the point?

Just got back from Norwegian Star and the designated dining room (Versailles) as specified in the daily never turned anyone away as far as I could see. I saw lots of people in casual clothes and in regular blue jeans waiting for tables and inside the restaurant.

I think it all depends on the hostess but at least on the Star regular jeans were fine.

I agree with this completely. We were on the same cruise and I can tell you we saw just as many people in jeans in the main dining room as in anything else. We wore dockers and nice polos.. but that's just because that's what we wanted to wear.

I KNOW you last couple of people who posted replys will bash me for this.. and I hope we can still be friends afterwards...but I do agree with you about people breaking rules. I think every one should follow the rules. However.. I don't think the OP is trying to break rules.. just asking a legit question. I do not blame the people who wear jeans in the main dining room if NCL lets them. If NCL lets one, they might as well let all. I believe that people should dress forr dinner in what ever is comfortable for them. Unfortuantely, rules are in place because some people do not know where to draw the line. So to me.. it's a lose/lose. I have no problem with people dressing in jeans at dinner because I honestly dont look at what people have on most of the time. WIth that said, yes.. I would have a problem if people wore bikini's or thongs or swim suits or speedo's (well..i saw a few guys that could wear speedo's and I wouldnt mind). But that is where the catch 22 comes in. Each person has their comfort level and NCL just has to have some policy in place to make the most people feel comfortable as possible.

Does any of what I just said make sense?? Or did I just ramble?

I agree with this completely. We were on the same cruise and I can tell you we saw just as many people in jeans in the main dining room as in anything else. We wore dockers and nice polos.. but that's just because that's what we wanted to wear.

I KNOW you last couple of people who posted replys will bash me for this.. and I hope we can still be friends afterwards...but I do agree with you about people breaking rules. I think every one should follow the rules. However.. I don't think the OP is trying to break rules.. just asking a legit question. I do not blame the people who wear jeans in the main dining room if NCL lets them. If NCL lets one, they might as well let all. I believe that people should dress forr dinner in what ever is comfortable for them. Unfortuantely, rules are in place because some people do not know where to draw the line. So to me.. it's a lose/lose. I have no problem with people dressing in jeans at dinner because I honestly dont look at what people have on most of the time. WIth that said, yes.. I would have a problem if people wore bikini's or thongs or swim suits or speedo's (well..i saw a few guys that could wear speedo's and I wouldnt mind). But that is where the catch 22 comes in. Each person has their comfort level and NCL just has to have some policy in place to make the most people feel comfortable as possible.

Does any of what I just said make sense?? Or did I just ramble?

I don't know if Terry or Doug posted this but, whoever made the comment about the speedos; if you were my partner, you'd be sleeping on the couch tonight!:( :D

I don't know if Terry or Doug posted this but, whoever made the comment about the speedos; if you were my partner, you'd be sleeping on the couch tonight!:( :D

LOL.. thanks for the laugh Ms. Belp.. It was me, Terry.. and I never did say it wasn't Doug I would want to see in the speedos.. did I?? (is the innocent looking working?? )

Nope, innocent isn't working for me...and I notice you're still up! On the couch?

Off topic, I notice we're both in Dallas, is it raining really hard where you are? We are over by White Rock Lake and it is raining and lightening.

Nothing here right now.. we are over in Frisco..

And no.. LOL.. not on the couch.. Just still on Seattle time.. still trying to adjust.. I have to be up in 1.5 hours to get ready to go back to work.. Think I should go to bed?? hehehhe..

Dress Jeans ?????

Is that anything like formal flip-flops??

Or dress tank tops??

Or Formal Night Hogwashers??

Thanks!

I don't know what Hogwashers are but are they something equal to "wife beater" t-shirts? :confused:

Dress Jeans ?????

Is that anything like formal flip-flops??

Or dress tank tops??

Or Formal Night Hogwashers??

There are such things as formal flip flops and dress tank tops... but only for women. Sorry to sound sexist but I just don't see men in sequined tanks or high-heeled sandals.

To the person who asked about corduroys, while they may be appropriate dress-wise I don't think your son will be comfortable in them since they are a winter pant. Unless you are going on an Alaska cruise, of course ;)

Archived