stockholm to oslo train ride...nice or should i fly?

elin

Hello, I will be sailing from London to Stockholm on the Regatta, Aug. 17, 2005, finishing up in Stockholm Aug. 31. At the end of the trip, we thought we might spend an extra day in Stockholm, and then spend some time in Oslo. Has anyone taken the train from Stockholm to Oslo? The high speed version does the trip in just under 5 hours. The flight is about 1 hour (and about $200 Canadian per person more then the train). The cost is not that much of an issue. If the train ride is something wonderfully scenic, it might be fun to do. However if it is dull and boring, the flight would definitely make more sense.

Anyone out there done either? What would you recommend? Also what suggestions do people have for both Stockholm and Oslo (I've heard that the "Norway in a Nutshell" is really great).

Thanks (I have this also posted on the Oceania board, but thought I'd try here also):) .

Elin

Hello, I will be sailing from London to Stockholm on the Regatta, Aug. 17, 2005, finishing up in Stockholm Aug. 31. At the end of the trip, we thought we might spend an extra day in Stockholm, and then spend some time in Oslo. Has anyone taken the train from Stockholm to Oslo? The high speed version does the trip in just under 5 hours. The flight is about 1 hour (and about $200 Canadian per person more then the train). The cost is not that much of an issue. If the train ride is something wonderfully scenic, it might be fun to do. However if it is dull and boring, the flight would definitely make more sense.

Anyone out there done either? What would you recommend? Also what suggestions do people have for both Stockholm and Oslo (I've heard that the "Norway in a Nutshell" is really great).

Thanks (I have this also posted on the Oceania board, but thought I'd try here also):) .

Elin

I have been on the X2000 trains and they are quite nice. Never been on the Stockholm-Oslo route though. This part of the world is very green with a lot of forests and fields and can be quite nice in August. But if it is jaw dropping scenery you are looking for, well, you will probably be disapointed. On a personal note, anytime I can take the train, I do so, but that's just me.

You might want to post your questions on the "Baltic Ports" board as well.

Enjoy your trip planning.

Has anyone taken the train from Stockholm to Oslo? The high speed version does the trip in just under 5 hours. The flight is about 1 hour (and about $200 Canadian per person more then the train). The cost is not that much of an issue. If the train ride is something wonderfully scenic, it might be fun to do. However if it is dull and boring, the flight would definitely make more sense.
I haven't done it, but I think you might want to adjust your perception of the time taken - this is a common thing whenever you're comparing trains to planes.

The train may take 5 hours, but it'll go from city centre to city centre.

To fly, you will need to allow about an hour to get from Stockholm city centre to airport, an hour for check-in, an hour for the flight itself, half an hour to reclaim your bags at Oslo and get out, and then half an hour to get to Oslo city centre. There might be differences on the day - some bits may be longer and some shorter, depending on how it all goes - but overall this is about right.

So that's actually about 4 hours to fly vs 5 hours on the train.

Thank you for your replies. You are right about fly time vs. train time, especially since we will have quite a bit of luggage with us after finishing a 2 week cruise!

I didn't see the Baltic board, but I will look for it and post there also!

Any suggestions for things to do in either country?

Thanks.

Elin

Any suggestions for things to do in either country?
Now, this is something you'll get answers to on the Baltic Ports board.

To follow the nautical theme of your trip, you don't want to miss the Wasa museum in Stockholm and the Kon Tiki museum in Oslo. The latter is also just across the street from the Norwegian Maritime Museum.

[Edited to add:] Sorry, just seen that you've found the Baltic board already.

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly - the high speed train Linx is being discontinued (www.linx.se) - so if you go by train you will need to take the ordinary train. I have taken the trip several times and it is not all that exciting.If you want to book a seet try www.nsb.no

Flying is very simple. There are 2 lowcost airlines that go to Stockholm - www.norwegian.no and www.flynordic.com. The train from Arlanda airport leaves ever 15-20 minutes and uses 20 minutes in to Stockholm City. The train from Oslo City to Oslo airport takes 30 minutes.

The cheapest (and most unconfortable) way to travel is by buss.

Stockholm is a nice city to visit - and I too specially like the Wasa ship museum. Walking around the old town is nice - and the royal castle is also worth a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done this route both flying and taking the regular train. Personally I would do the train again simply for the convenience of going from city center to city center. Ride was very pleasant and time went by quickly. Lots of forests, small villages, and pretty countryside. Enjoyed talking with the locals and learning a lot about the countries. Flying is just more of a hastle by the time you go to the airport, check in, and fly. They are a lot more strict on weight of luggage on European airlines so keep in mind coming off a cruise.

Archived