Juneau Whale Watch Suggestions

MonicaL

If you put "whale watching" in the search (WHEN the search works! ;) ) you'll find there are two companies mentioned the most - Harv & Marv if you want a small boat, or Orca Enterprise if you want a medium size tour. We went with Orca -but I would not hesitate to go with Harv & Marv. I just know I was glad I wasn't on the cruise ship tour when we went out - those people were packed like sardines!

Just returned from Dawn Princess, 05-27 to 06-06 sailing RT SFO. We took the ship's whale watch tour and it was wonderful. Maybe we were lucky, but we were not packed like sardines! The very fast excursion boat had 2 levels: lower level had lots of seats, plenty window seats too and it was a heated cabin; at the upper level you had 2 choices of inside heated cabin with lots of window seats or outside.

I decided to stay outside on the upper level, it was very windy and most definitely very cold but worth every minute!!! Most people stayed inside and we had lots of room around the top deck. The views were magnificent, we got to see lots of humpbacks and 2 pods of killer whales that put on a great show for us!

After the whale watch, we went to Mendenhall and then the Gold Creek Salmon Bake. We were back at 3pm (left at 9am) and had plenty of time to do Mt Roberts Tram, walk around downtown, and had a snack and a wonderful draft Alaskan Amber beer at Red Dog Saloon. It was a wonderful day!!!!!!

Do your research well in order to make an informed decision. You will have a great time. It's hard not to have fun in Alaska!!!

AlinaMaria

If you put "whale watching" in the search (WHEN the search works! ;) ) you'll find there are two companies mentioned the most - Harv & Marv if you want a small boat, or Orca Enterprise if you want a medium size tour. We went with Orca -but I would not hesitate to go with Harv & Marv. I just know I was glad I wasn't on the cruise ship tour when we went out - those people were packed like sardines!

We recently returned from a Princess cruise that uses Allen. The whale watching catamaran we were on wasn't packed at all. There was plently of room on the observation deck. We saw many whales and had an outstanding naturalist (with Alaska and Hawaii whale watching experience). Many smaller whale watching vessels shadowed us throughout the day.

Harv and Marvs - without question!!! Just got home today from our Holland America cruise and went with Harv and Marv - WOW!!! Jay Beedle (Marv this year) was our guide - and he knew just where to take us. Had a cove to ourselves - along with three humpbacks - one named Juneau who was giving us quite a show. Talk about up close and personal!!!! It was awesome! Only us four on his boat - talk about personalized! Saw a harbor seal, several sea lions on a buoy, eagles, and even a brown bear. The guy is so interesting - born and raised in Juneau, lives with his family on a island - remote living at its best, home schools their kids, takes their boat everywhere, etc. We called him "Tigger" - the guy is so passionate and excited about what he does - can't sit still! We had a blast and given another opportunity would sail with them again - only this time for the LONGER whale watching tour. Can't go wrong with this company!

Hi - just back from the Star Princess. Harv & Marv were booked, so we went with Capt. Jack & the Scania. He is a retired coast guard officer and his catamaran has triple safety features. He can take 10 but limits it to no more than 8 since he wants everyone to have a comfortable spot to sit. We had booked first so he turned down a group of 9 so we wouldn't be overcrowded.

We ended up with a private tour and photo safari - saw sea lions on a buoy, light houses, eagles, sea lions colony & a whale who did a tail flip right in front of them! The show stopper was a young whale who put on quite a show - tail flips, breaches, barrel rolls, fluke waving for over 10 minutes! All in all a great experience with an extra stop at the Mendenhall Glacier on the way home.

The Scania is midway in size between Harv & Marv and Orca - would go with him again and do recommend highly. Many of these charter boats communicate with each other and share "overflow" clients back & forth. They belong to a cooperative to save on gas costs and to enforce operating standards (includes 5 years local experience).

We were on the same HAL cruise. Harv and Marv were booked, so we chartered a boat from alaska marine adventures at noon. No problems, but only distant whales. Yes, sea lions and one sea otter. Next time, we'll book early with H&M. Mendenhall Glacier made a good afternoon trip.

Hi - just back from the Star Princess. Harv & Marv were booked, so we went with Capt. Jack & the Scania. He is a retired coast guard officer and his catamaran has triple safety features. He can take 10 but limits it to no more than 8 since he wants everyone to have a comfortable spot to sit. We had booked first so he turned down a group of 9 so we wouldn't be overcrowded.

We ended up with a private tour and photo safari - saw sea lions on a buoy, light houses, eagles, sea lions colony & a whale who did a tail flip right in front of them! The show stopper was a young whale who put on quite a show - tail flips, breaches, barrel rolls, fluke waving for over 10 minutes! All in all a great experience with an extra stop at the Mendenhall Glacier on the way home.

The Scania is midway in size between Harv & Marv and Orca - would go with him again and do recommend highly. Many of these charter boats communicate with each other and share "overflow" clients back & forth. They belong to a cooperative to save on gas costs and to enforce operating standards (includes 5 years local experience).

We are also booked with Capt Jack...I have heard nothing but stellar reviews of his whale watch excursion..:)

How big was your group..we will be a group of 6..

Kelly

Used Orca enterprise in Juneau and got to see a lot of whales. I would definitely go with them again. I also found it fascinating to spend a good amount of time on the upper front deck of the cruiseship to look for whales. Make sure you dress in warm clothes, pay special attention to protect your head and hands from the cold. Also a fullsize binoculars will allow you to enjoy the time much more.

The web address is http://www.whale-watch.biz/scania.htm as posted above. We had a party of TWO since we had booked first. Capt. Jack wouldn't take the party of 9 who called later. His boat holds 12, but he'll usually keep it to 6-8 (the number of inside seats). He will take 10 if they are all in the same group.

His upper deck also has seating (6, I think), and he can control the boat from above, inside & behind. We got to sit up front with him on either side of his seat. The table will hold 6, if you're not larger than average sized. We booked the longer photo tour, and paid $10pp extra for the stop at Mendenhall Glacier (45 minutes is plenty - and we only went to the Gift Shop of the Visitor Center which closes at 7:30 when we were there. Bus stops running at 6 PM).

Harv & Marv, Orca & the Scania are part of a cooperative of about 10 charter boats who share "overflow" customers, buy fuel together, and enforce operating standards (5 yrs. experience for one thing). Just depends on the experience you want. The size of the boats is Harv & Marv are the smallest, Scania next, Orca Enterprises after that (they have at least 4 boats of different sizes), then the Princess boats.

Do you have a link for photos from your tour with Orca? We're booked with them in a couple weeks. Thanks.

Alina Maria or Chief Roberts,

Hi we are booked with princess for that tour as I thought it would cover everything in Juneau we are going at 1:45pm so will have time in the AM to shop and maybe do Mt Roberts. SO glad you enjoyed it. Were you able to get amazing photos and did you see other wildlife from the boat? Did they get up close to the whales? I was considering cancelling and booking separate private tours but the price for all 3 events is not too bad compared to doing them separately. We are on Golden Princess july 26, myself and kids 11 and 16. What do you think?

Alina Maria or Chief Paul,

Hi we are booked with princess for that tour as I thought it would cover everything in Juneau we are going at 1:45pm so will have time in the AM to shop and maybe do Mt Roberts. SO glad you enjoyed it. Were you able to get amazing photos and did you see other wildlife from the boat? Did they get up close to the whales? I was considering cancelling and booking separate private tours but the price for all 3 events is not too bad compared to doing them separately. We are on Golden Princess july 26, myself and kids 11 and 16. What do you think?

I'm looking for suggestions for great whale watching tours in Juneau, any info?:D

I just returned from Alaska on Friday. In Junea we went whale watching with Rum Runners and it was absolutely wonderful. Captain Chris made our trip the best, he has a charter fishing boat, we did 1/2 day fishing and 1/2 day sightseeing. We saw whales, steller seals, sea otter and many many eagles. Captain Chris was wonderful and well worth the money. We had several in our group and he also got another boat Hi Time to run with us with the rest of our group. My friends said Captain Toni was wonderful. I would recommend both of these folks very highly. We were all very glad that we were not on a tourist whale watching adventure. Each boat holds 6 people, we had 4 on each boat....and had a great time. Good Luck

Lori

Archived