Can't decide! Solstice New Years or QM2 10 day?

marinearchit

QM2 10 days or Solstice New Years?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. QM2 10 days or Solstice New Years?

• QM2
    • Solstice

We are currently booked on the Solstice for New Years 2009-2010. But, today I found a 10 day out of NYC to the Caribbean on QM2 for a slightly lower price.

I really need some input on what to do!:eek:

Solstice we are booked in a Veranda (basic). The itinerary is Ft.Lauderdale-At Sea-San Juan-St.Maarten-Tortola-Labadee-At Sea-Ft.Lauderdale.

We love Celebrity and I've followed the Solstice's construction and would love to experience the ship...especially on New Years!

On the other hand, I've also followed QM2 since conception and would love to experience the ship. And I'd have a whole 10 days to do it, rather than 7 on Solstice. I've also always been interested (borderline obsessed) with Cunard.

On QM2 we would have a sheltered balcony and depart on December 10. The itinerary: NYC-At Sea x2-St.Maarten-Barbados-Grenada-St.Lucia-At Sea x2-NYC. Also, for QM2 we wouldn't have to pay for airfare or a hotel since we can drive to the port. Not to mention, we'd save a few hundred dollars on the cruise itself. I would, however, miss more school on QM2.

Both, in reality, are dream cruises. Since this would be our last family trip before I head off to college (I'll be in my junior year and we aren't doing anything senior year), we want to make the right choice.

Formality doesn't bother me and I don't mind if there's not a lot of teenagers my age (I'll be 17 on either one). On Century there was only 7 of us in all and I actually prefered it since we all knew eachother.

Please tell me what you guys think.

I know this is going to a be a poll which will likely be lop-sided considering its asked on the Cunard board but I'll try to be as fair and impartial as I can be.

I have heard a lot of good things about Celebrity but I myself have never experience them. Of course, the new Solstice will be a "must be on" ship for a lot of people next year but while the QM2 is a few years old its not something to sneeze at either.

So for me.....I pick the QM2. Reason....first the iteniary. I haven't done a lot of travel in the Caribbean - only done 1 Caribbean cruise. But somehow the islands being visited by the QM2 seem more appealing to me overall.

Some people will snub the in-hull balconies but I found my cubby hole in the hull of the ship a fantastic place to stand and look out at the islands with a glass of champagne in your hands. We have no hesitancy taking the "sheltered" balcony cabins again. Also, I have heard that you get more space with a sheltered balcony as opposed to a regular one but I am not sure if that is true or not.

Celebrity is supposed to be also well known for its food but I found Cunard's food excellent so I would be hard pressed to say which is better. However, can one turn away from the grandeur of the Britannia Restaurant?

Sure the QM2 is huge but its also so well designed that you never feel crowded and you'll be surprised at how intimate it can feel for the most part.

Lastly, the QM2 is unique in that it is a true ocean liner and even on a Caribbean cruise you will discover how it slices through the water at top speeds on its "at-sea" days and just what makes it an ocean liner as opposed to a cruise ship.

I was surprised to find out you are only 17 as you seem far more mature than that. However, if formality doesn't bother you and you are not seeking a spring-break experience then either line will but on a good experience for you.

Let us know what you ultimately decide.

David

After talking it over, and seeing the pics posted by CC , we will (for now) stick with Solstice.

But, if the trend in airline pricing and charges continues, we'll probably switch to QM2. Overall, we're still on the borderline between the two.

I was on the QM2 10 Caribbean cruise from Brooklyn this past February. I highly recommend it! I fell in love with the ship and really liked the itinerary - 2 days down, 6 days at 5 ports, and then 2 days back. It was a perfect break from winter. I have of course not been on the Solstice. However, three of the features of the QM2 make it much more appealing to me than the Solstice. First, the amount of public space on the QM2 is quite amazing. Nothing is ever crowded. The QM2 is a bigger ship than the Solstice yet has fewer cabins and fewer passengers. Second on the QM2 there is a crew member for every two passengers, whereas on the Solstice the ratio is one crew for every three passengers. This accounts, I assume, for the excellent service we experienced' Thirdly, the QM2 just oozes Cunard history. Just being a passenger made me feel part of that history. An intangible, but a glorious one! Even though in general I actually prefer smaller ships, I love the QM2 and will certainly sail on her again. I would love to do a Transatlantic on her; although I really loved the sea days on the Caribbean cruise and much prefer them and the Brooklyn departure than flying to Florida to begin a cruise. As you can see the choice would be no contest for me! Whatever you decide - enjoy!

Don't miss the opportunity to sail on the Queen Mary 2. She is one of the kind. And now that the QE2 is departing, she is arguably the most famous ship in the world.

The QM2 has already made history. The largest passenger ship in the world when built, she remains one of the largest now. She is the first ocean liner to be built after 35 years, something nobody would believe ten or twenty years before. And of course she is the only ocean liner offering regular transatlantic crossings, which automatically makes it a one-category ship.

As to what you'll find incide, that you probably won't find on the Solstice: Her spaciousness is unparalleled. She has one of the lagrest space/passenger ratios afloat (57, when a common cruise ship has no more than 43). Her vast Queen's ballroom is the largest ballroom at sea. She is the only ship with two theatres/conference centre. She has the only Planetarium afloat. She has the largest library afloat. And her Britannia restaurant is among the largest and most magnificent

restaurants that you will find on a ship.

As to in-hull sheltered balcony cabins, I booked one this March, just to taste. It turned out nice, well protected by the winds and affording much privacy. Its only setback was that one should be standing to enjoy the (unlimited, otherwise) view. I would return back in a heartbeat.

The Solstice is a wonderful cruise ship, but it is just one more in the chain of more and more impressive ships...Now that you find nice rates, don't miss the opportunity to sail on such a distinguished ship, as the QM2 is.

After the great reviews we're unsure again! It's hard to decide.

I think we'll wait until the first Solstice reviews come out. Once there's a good idea what she's like (service, food, entertainment, public rooms, etc.) it might be easier to decide.

After the great reviews we're unsure again! It's hard to decide.

I think we'll wait until the first Solstice reviews come out. Once there's a good idea what she's like (service, food, entertainment, public rooms, etc.) it might be easier to decide.

Hi Marinechit,

My husband and I are sailing QM2 for the first time this December and are so excited we can hardly stand it. In order to make it affordable [it's a 15-day Caribbean cruise], we booked a sheltered balcony 18 months ahead! Now, here's what's amazing. I, too, wondered if I would be able to enjoy the balcony as much as I've enjoyed our balconies on other cruises. After about six months, lo and behold, our TA notified us that we'd been upgraded several notches by Cunard and through her cleverness, too, probably. Then just a few weeks ago, she notified us that we now have an upgrade to a "glass" balcony!! Now the upgrade fairy is fickle, and it might not happen to you, but our TA is just superb with her wily ways . . . she managed to upgrade my son's family from an inside to an oceanfront stateroom on a Disney cruise last winter!! I would have dealt with the sheltered balcony, I'm sure.

We've been on three previous Caribbean cruises, and the itinerary alone on the QM2 as opposed to the Solstice would be the determining factor for me. You'll love Grenada and St. Lucia and Barbados--we've been to all of them at least once--they are among the best of the islands and not to be missed.

But here's the most compelling reason of all: You'll be 17 when you cruise. When you are our ages [suffice it to say, grandparents!] you will be able to reminisce about your voyage on the Queen Mary, and everyone will immediately attend to what you're saying! 50 years from now, who knows what the status of other ships will be? The ship itself is part of the cruise experience. I think that someone your age being part of all of that glamour and history will have fabulous memories forever. A long time ago, someone older and wiser said to me, "It's not what we do that we regret so much as what we don't do." At my age, I know that I may not pass this way again and that moments need to be seized. This may be such a moment for you . . . seize it--go for it!! There's a very good reason that Cunard is the most famous cruise line in the world and that its ships are legends.

My best wishes to you . . . whatever you decide,:)

GG

Archived