sailing out of tampa vs. miami

boowaaccaa

I am trying to book a cruise out of Tampa but the prices seem so much higher then comparable cruises out of Miami--does anyone know why?? (Bigger port? More port charges? hmmm)

Less options for ships sailing from Tampa..... but a much nicer port than Miami or Ft Lauderdale thats fer sure !

I am trying to book a cruise out of Tampa but the prices seem so much higher then comparable cruises out of Miami--does anyone know why?? (Bigger port? More port charges? hmmm)
Ships out of Tampa are in high demand. They do western Caribbean ports. They sail at 100% plus in bookings. It is usually cheaper to fly here and stay here in advance than Miami and Ft lauderdale. The port is much much easier to embark and debark. The airport is a $20 taxi ride. Many hotels will pick you up and take you to the port......Miami is very very expensive to stay in. Even to park at the pier is $20 a day as opposed to $12 a day in Tampa.

It is a simple supply and demand rule here. Also many of the people to cruise out of Tampa are from west coast of Florida and central Florida. Also from the midwest. A little more mellow crowd.

All being said. Look at what your other expenses will be...air, hotel, transportation, parking, dining even a drink.....It all adds up.....;) ;)

I've sailed out of both ports and I LOVE Tampa. It's the best. Easiest port I've ever sailed out of. It's worth a few extra bucks to sail from there. (they have valet parking as well)

I don't know yet, but hope to find out in Feb '09 with several of my friends. :) We are driving down and parking at our hotel. HIE at Rocky Point.

Never stayed there before, anybody know anything about it? The hotel, I mean. :o

Luv's Crusin'

Tampa is my favorite port. Worth a few bucks extra and in the long run especially if you stay the day before you cruise it ends up less.

I agree totally with cathy. Tampa is by far my favorite port.

If I had to choose between Miami and Tampa only - I'd do Tampa.

We have sailed out of Tampa twice on the Inspiration - lines move quick on embarkation and debarkation is smooth as silk.

Now, Miami is another story. It was quick on embarkation - but debarkation was a nightmare. First of all, we were held up almost 2 hours because of the congestion in the port going through customs before we even got off the ship - then once we got off the ship (Victory) it was a total nightmare waiting to go through customs. There were 2 other ships that came in and when I say Mass Chaos, I mean MASS CHAOS! We literally were in line for an hour waiting to get through customs.

We are looking to possibly sail the Glory out of Port Canaveral next year - I hear it is the best port in Florida!

Thanks everyone. We will have to do the math and figure out which is better. It is approximatey $200 difference but DH's unlce is much closer to Tampa and we would be staying with him either pre or post cruise.

Hello,

Another thought, Tampa is an easy 8 hour drive down interstate 75 from Atlanta, while Miami is at least 13 hours. This equals more demand. (Although with gas at 4 bucks a gallon, it might be cheaper to fly to Miami. )

Tampa is a nice port, and I love sailing under that bridge.

Cheers,

Brad

Ok--on closer inspection the reason was not all about the location for price difference. I was searching for a balcony cabin and the ship out of Tampa only had suite availible--so this is what came out when I searched for best balcony stateroom on *****.com

Thanks for all the info tho.

Are you only checking the Inspiration? The Legend also sails out of Tampa and it has lots of balcony cabins. Legend is 7 day sailing and the Inspiration is 4 & 5 day sailings.

Actually the legend is my preferance and the prices don't seem too bad either--and lots of options regarding balconies. BUT....DH doesn't want to do a full week cruise. I will keep working on him!:)

Archived