Hobby to Galveston Car Rental?

cruznliz

I'm trying to find the most economical way to get from Hobby to Galveston. The rental cars are certainly cheap enough, but do I have to drive back to Hobby to turn it in Saturday morning before getting on the ship? I thought I read somewhere here that one of the rental car companies will accomodate drop-offs in Galveston. Can anyone help me? :confused:

You can rent from Enterprise at Hobby, and return in Galveston without a dropoff charge (didn't find a way to do this online, so call instead). "We pick you up" is their slogan, and they do drop-offs too. Just be sure to check their hours, I believe Saturdays are 9a-1p, but check when you reserve.

There are local shuttle services that might be more economical. A rental car might be cheap, but what you don't find out is that the city and county apply taxes to just about everything travelers use. The final tab could be quite a bit higher than what you are quoted, so make sure you get some info on those charges.

well if you took a taxi from hobby to IAH or rented the car at Hobby and took it back to IAH the curise line will pick you up and shuttle you to Galveston...thats one thought or if you could it would be easier to fly into IAH alltogether its closer and more convient if you can't I understnad it was jsut an idea.

http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/I'm not sure I understand. Why would I want to go from Hobby to IAH? It was my understanding that Hobby was considerably closer to Galveston than IAH. I can conceivably fly into either airport. According to the above website the shuttle is $30 one-way from Hobby to Galveston. There are 2 of us, so that would be $60 one-way. (I probably will use the ship shuttle for the return to the airport after the cruise). Anyway, I found some rental cars for like $20 to $25. That's a good savings, IF I can drop the car in Galveston. Does this all make sense?

Cruznliz, yup that makes perfect sense. We looked at Hertz, which was too high. But Enterprise (I'm not plugging them, btw, in fact was turned down for a job there once ;) ) quoted us about $45 with all the taxes, picking up from Hobby in the evening and dropping off at Galveston the following morning. So for 2 or more people this is a savings over the shuttle.

We rented from Enterprise and the trip from Hobby to Galveston cost about $28.00 including all taxes for a full size car. We had 2 adults and 2 kids. It about a half hour ride from the airport to the drop site in Galveston. You drop the car at Enterprises office and they shuttle you to the port. But they told us (in September) they would soon have a desk right at the pier. Also, you are renting the car for 24 hours so if your arrive the evening before and drop off in less than 24 hours later they said it was the same price.

Where is the Enterprise office in Galveston? We are staying at the Harbor House near the pier. Just wondering if it would be within walking distance after we dropped it off. I like the idea of having a car the night before we cruise in order to be able to pick up sodas and beer!

Thanks for all the help. I called Enterprise and reserved the smallest car for a total price (including taxes) of $18. I can pick up at Hobby and drop it off in Galveston at 6000 Broadway. According to Mapquest that address is less than 4 miles from the ship. Now I'm wondering if I should do the same thing for the return. Our flight is at 1:25PM. Can I get off the ship, catch a taxi to the Galveston office and take a car to Hobby? It would be great if the rate was the same. ;) Something to consider.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would I want to go from Hobby to IAH?

You wouldn't, necessarily. It's just that cruise shuttles are generally more available from that airport. Someone just offered that as a suggestion.

Archived