What's your favorite production show?

a9753

I have enjoyed every production show I've seen on Princess. I know others say that they don't enjoy the shows, production shows in particular, and I think that is what makes cruising such a great vacation...something for almost everyone. Production shows are the single biggest part of our on ship entertainment and we wouldn't think of missing one.

I totally agree!!! I love all the production shows. We saw a tribute to Sammy Davis Jr once. I believe it was on NCL & I have to say that was my absolute favorite....but I love them all.

ok, I have to ask - do they lip sync their songs? If so who actually does the singing? Most of the time it seemed like they were lip syncing.
From what was explained to us on the Sapphire Princess during a Q&A with the performers, they do both. They record their singing but because almost all the shows have them dancing and doing things that make them out of breath, their recording is played and they actually sing while it's playing albeit not at full voice.

FYI, while not a production show, we had The Westenders on the Sapphire Princess. They are a group of performers who met while performing in the West End of London and are FANTASTIC. They were scheduled for two shows but wound up giving a matinee for the first show and coming back and doing three more shows. It was standing room only no matter which time they performed.

ok, I have to ask - do they lip sync their songs? If so who actually does the singing? Most of the time it seemed like they were lip syncing.

Sorry, but the chorus singers you hear are NOT the dancers you see performing. The chorus is recorded, and used for all the shows by REAL singers. If you have ever listened to the dancers singing (in sotto-voce), you will realize this. It is no different on television. The dancers are wonderful performers, but they are, after all, DANCERS!! There are from two to four featured lead singers who really do sing, and some of them are very, very well trained indeed. If you were to actually hear the dancers singing while performing, you would be very disappointed. If you want to hear real live singers - try opera.;) It was invented before microphones or electronic processing.

Sorry, but the chorus singers you hear are NOT the dancers you see performing. The chorus is recorded, and used for all the shows by REAL singers.

They didn't use to make the pretense, but lately I've noticed the dancers are miked like the singers, and I'm not sure there is any real reason for it.

This probably goes against popular opinion here, but I have to say honestly that as a huge Billy Joel, "Piano Man" made me cringe. I think when they take popular pop or rock artists and give the songs a cabaret approach for a production show it just doesn't work well.

Now I really enjoyed "Cinematastic" because the songs were all theme songs from movies and really worked well in a production show like that.

My favorite was an old one called "Mystique" It had Chinese acrobats and was very different than the usual Princess show. It was more like a Cirque du Soleil.

It's hard enough for the dancers to perform so well on a moving ship. But, watching those acrobats do their show when the ship moved was amazing!

Archived