South American Dec 7 Cruisers Need Help

GalvezCruiser

Hello everyone,

This is our first attempt to post on this incredible forum. We will be sending quesitons to the forum from now until Dec. Our first question has to do with our room choice. Please let us know if we have lost our minds on deciding on this room:

Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas--

10th deck

D1 room

Room is 1604

This room is at the back of the boat. Anyone have an idea how this room experiene will most likely turn out cruising the Cape? The trip is from BA down south and then returns to Sau Paulo.

Thanks to all comments we receive.

GalvezCruiser

The most optimal cabins tend to be in the middle of the ship and say on a lower deck. But, if this is not an option for you it is certainly better to be located in the aft (rear) of the ship then in the cabins most forward on the ship. Whether or not you are impacted by location varies by cruise and by person.

Keith

Yes, after reading various comments about Patagonia, it really is a matter of luck re weather conditions. And I guess if it is going to be bad, well it really does not matter where you are located on the ship. Maybe the next questions I need to make should be re what type of seasick meds we need to take. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your comments.

GalvezCruiser

You have a variety of options and what works best does vary by each person. I'll give you some options to consider.

You can purchase something over the counter such as Bonine. The key to this is to take it before you begin to feel sea sick. If you wait until after you become sea sick it tends to make on very drowsy and is a lot less effective. A word of advice, if you have never tried it before take it while at home to see if you have any side effects from it.

You can consider asking your physician for a prescription for a patch. It works effectively for many people. One of the side effects is dryness in the mouth.

For some, wearing sea bands helps them. Some folks swear by them while others think they have no impact. You can find these in many stores such as Walmart.

If you are concerned about becoming sea sick I would recommend taking one or more of these items with you. And, I always think it's a good idea to consult ones physician for additional advice since they know your health history.

Keith

Keith I have noted your comments and will ask our physician for suggestions. We are only experienced with cruises in the Caribbean and sailing from Galveston to Mexico, where seas were relatively calm for us.

I wonder if Yerba Mate would help? I know when we were in Peru we drank coca leaves to help with altitude sickness, and it really helped!

Any comments?

Keith I have noted your comments and will ask our physician for suggestions. We are only experienced with cruises in the Caribbean and sailing from Galveston to Mexico, where seas were relatively calm for us.

I wonder if Yerba Mate would help? I know when we were in Peru we drank coca leaves to help with altitude sickness, and it really helped!

Any comments?

This one is new to me so I really can't provide any thoughts one way or the other.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

I have really found that ginger capsules and the sea bands do the trick and you are not spending time feeling less than great when the sea is calm as you do with the patch. We did the horn when the waves were so high, the Captain turned the ship around and headed inside some passages. Judy

Hello everyone,

This is our first attempt to post on this incredible forum. We will be sending quesitons to the forum from now until Dec. Our first question has to do with our room choice. Please let us know if we have lost our minds on deciding on this room:

Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas--

10th deck

D1 room

Room is 1604

This room is at the back of the boat. Anyone have an idea how this room experiene will most likely turn out cruising the Cape? The trip is from BA down south and then returns to Sau Paulo.

Thanks to all comments we receive.

GalvezCruiser

First of all you are sailing on our most favorite ship........Radiance. Cabin 1604 is a wonderful aft cabin with a great balcony. Views from there are awesome. It's a long walk from the Centrum to your cabin, so try not to forget anything once you leave.

We just returned from our cruise to SA on Splendour in March, but we sailed Valparaiso to Sao Paulo. You are sailing during their summer season, so weather should be good. You may feel a little motion there but nothing out of the ordinary. As someone previously mentioned........take one Bonine tablet daily and you will be good to go.

Here is a link to a thread I started about Radiance of the Seas. If you go to pages 6-8 there are some great photos of the balcony cabins and a rather large one of the aft balconies. Plus, if you click on CL-JW's Hawaii photos found in their signature, you will also get some great pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=575048

• 3 weeks later...

Any comments?

NO, NO, NO.

Coca tea/coca leaves EXPAND your blood vessels and allow more oxygen in your blood (just like cocaine, without the nasty side effects). This is needed at high altitudes.

Stick to the tried and true remedies for seasick. I don't get seasick, so can't tell you. But there are a number of remedies. Do NOT drink coca tea-besides that, it is ILLEGAL in most of the world (difficult to get in Chile, all over Ecudaor and Columbia). Get caught with coca leaves entering Chile and you could be spending time in a tiny cell.

Greatam I don't think you understood my response. I was inquiring about Yerba Mate as a way to help with the symptoms of being seasick.

I understood exactly what you were asking. While Yerba Mate is legal (and coca leaves are not), it is still a stimulant and the plant Yerba Mate is derived from is a direct relative of coca plants.

I have seen claims that Yerba Mate helps with motion sickness. One in particular-Motion Mate- makes the claim and is widely promoted in new age health food stores for motion sickness and hangovers. However, IF you read the ingredients, ginger and peppermint are added (both known stomach calming agents).

Archived