deck 2-Independence- Opinions please?

vmom

I really wanted to get away for an extra vacation this year and booked the Independence for Feb. 2009.

Booked an inside on deck 2. Wanted something inexpensive and not planning on spending much time in the room which is why we decided to go with the inside.

But...booked deck 2. My thinking was that on such a large ship it would be faster and easier to get off the ship at the ports without having to wait around for an elevator and also when returning back from a port, to get to our room.

Now am wondering if I should have booked a higher deck.

Would like to hear of anyone else's experience and thoughts about deck 2.

I am on IOS in August with DH and got a deck 2 (Q) cheapest inside. I fuigured that the rooms look exactly the same, handy for getting on and off and not having to queue 8 decks above to get off ship and at the end of the day, there are lifts! I would rather spend the extra on a bottle or two of bubbly:D ;) Hollyanna

The only problem is those elevators--if you spend alot of time at the pool, it'll be difficult to run back and forth to your cabin via stairs! (And, during some disembarkations, I've seen those hallways FILLED with passengers trying to get ashore--totally blocking the cabins!)

The only problem is those elevators--if you spend alot of time at the pool, it'll be difficult to run back and forth to your cabin via stairs! (And, during some disembarkations, I've seen those hallways FILLED with passengers trying to get ashore--totally blocking the cabins!)

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

I wasn't sure what deck the actual doors for disembarktion were on. I knew it was a lower deck, but wasn't sure which one.

So the doors are on deck 2? and fill with people. Doesn't sound promising. My guess its likely worse in ports that tender than ports that you walk off.

As far as waiting for the elevator. My biggest frustration on the Voyager ships was trying to get an elevator after returning back after a day in port. I see your point on waiting for the elevator to get to the pool and WJ. In the past we always got something in the middle so it was an easy walk down the stairs to get to the dining rooms and theater and promenade area and also an easy walk up the stairs to get to the WJ. We rarely took the elevator. But from deck 2 to the pool deck would be a bit much in terms of using the stairs.

How about engine noise? And where there any service issues being on a lower deck?

We were on Independence at the end of April for the pre-inaugural launch cruise on deck 7 balcony midships, we are back on her again next month booked on deck 2. While I was onboard I checked out our cabin and the 'feel' of it's location on deck 2 - I was very pleased with it and like a previous poster said it felt close to most places, except WJ and pool.

While I cruise I have a rule that I never use an elevator to help keep fit and burn off all the food I eat!

Archived