Allowed to take snacks off the ship?

TrojanJulez

Are we allowed to take snacks off the ship in Mexico? Nothing major - maybe just a bottle of water and a few cookies, or a bag of chips or something. I'm guessing that the answer is "no", but does anyone know for sure? Thanks! :)

I took water and a couple of Energy Bars. As long as what you are taking is prepackaged and doesn't contain meat or plants (fruits, veggies ,flowers, etc.), you can pretty much take food into any country.

If I recall, many shore excursions strongly encourage you to bring bottled water along.

water is welcomed off the ship, they even sell it where you exit the ship for you to take along.

Tjey do NOT check you bags going off the ship, but they do scan them coming back onto the ship.

so if you take a snack, eat it all or dump the remainder before boarding the ship. sealed packaged foods you can bring back on, but once you open it, better eat it all.

Your not suppose to take fresh foods off the ship but I know tons of people who get sandwiches and take or a couple apples or bananas for a healthy snack for the kids and nobody has ever said a word.

I have been on many excursions where people are sharing M&M's and cookies with the kids.

My DH is diabetic so we always take some food and water with us in case his blood sugar gets low while swimming or walking a lot.

so you wont be alone is you take food off, jusrt dont try to bring it back on if its opened or they will make you throw it away.

mom x4,grandma x4

I always take some closed prepackaged snacks to take onshore with us on any cruise or trip.

We were in Toronto when they had the power outage, at a hotel with NO food from Thursday night till Saterday night.

The hotel we were at (the Westin) put all there food out on Friday as there was no power, no stores had power to open or run cash registers etc and I learn't a lesson. If I have my kids (luckily they weren't with us then) I have snack with me on vacation:D :D

I never take fruit or open food from the ship off as most ports have strict agricultural laws.

We often take a cooler with us and a bunch of ziploc bags. Presuming the local regulations allow it, we take prepackaged milk (usually small cartons are available at breakfast) off of the ship, putting ice in the ziploc bags to cool it. We have also (when allowed) taken ham, cheese and rolls from the breakfast buffet, or a few pieces of fruit. Another good one is the pre-packaged boxes of cereal they often have at breakfast. Those are terrific (and not quite as junky) to take off of the ship. We have NEVER been refused anywhere in the world (and we've cruised on four different continents) from taking off that pre-boxed cereal.

We have noticed that often the SHIP will announce that you're not to take XXXXX off of the ship (and they'll list everything under the sun) and then try to sell you stuff as you disembark. We prefer to directly ask the local customs people. Sometimes we will bring stuff off, and when they ask us what we have we tell them honestly. That's not illegal. If it's not allowed they will throw it out. So what? FTR, that has only happened once to us (that they have thrown something out on us) in about 30 or 40 ports around the world.

Archived