I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Norwegian Sun will be docking both at Langelinie and Freeport terminal so i need a date to help you.

Hi Danish

How about 5th August 2010? NCL website doesnt seem to have any information as to where they will be docking.

thanks

@ Froggitt

It is a busy day at the cruise terminals with 5 ships in port, Balmoral and Regatta are taking up the space at Langelinie so your ship will join Azamara Journey at the freeport terminal (the last one is docked at Nordre Toldbod).

That was the easy part but right now i am confused because i thought that the answer from me that you quoted was for you but a can't find a post by you that i have answered in this thread.

Hello:

We will be arriving the day before our cruise on the Eurodam (July9 dep) and staying over a day after the cruise. We re staying at the Copenhagen Plaza both times.

What suggestions do you have for the transportation card and sightseeing in that time period. Should we take a cab after our flight from the states and the train back out to the Airport or what?

Are there things that we should not miss. Is the HOHO worthwhile.

Thank You

Norman

Alabama

@ Froggitt

It is a busy day at the cruise terminals with 5 ships in port, Balmoral and Regatta are taking up the space at Langelinie so your ship will join Azamara Journey at the freeport terminal (the last one is docked at Nordre Toldbod).

That was the easy part but right now i am confused because i thought that the answer from me that you quoted was for you but a can't find a post by you that i have answered in this thread.

Thanks. That was my first question but I jumped on your answer to a similar question.

Hi Danish---I am planning a trip for next year and getting off a cruise ship in CPH after 27 days. Have been to CPH more than once, but would like to travel to southern Euope without my cruise clothes. In the states there are many shops that will pack and send "stuff", by UPS, FEDEX, or DHL.... Are such shops available in Copenhagen, and if so, do you have any idea of the $$ to ship say 10 kg to the US.??? YOU ARE GREAT!! THANKS

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi

Is it far to walk from the port to the sights of Cph?

Or do we need public transport. If so where do we get it.

Thank you

@ drzx2

Post Danmark will charge you 847 DKK for 10 kg to the adress in 5-6 weekdays if you can wait a little bit more ( 8-9 days to USA + delivery to the adress) they will only charge you 607 DKK.

@ dogface-106

Your hotel is located next door to the central station so a train to and from the airport and Freeport Terminal is the cheapest solution.

To and from The cruise ship you can either take bus number 26 all the way to the Central Station (sort of a HO/HO bus :-) )

Take the bus number 26 to Østerport Station and take a train from there.

Walk from the pier to Nordhavn Station and take a train from there.

There is a direct train between the airport and the Central Station, just remember that the Metro not goes to the Central Station.

Regarding the HO/HO, i think that you will see more of the city on foot than on a bus that only drive's on the big street.

The small City Circle bus is the best solution if walking is not an option because it's a small electrical bus that can handle the small streets.

The not to miss are Rosenborg, Amalienborg, Canal Tour, Strøget shopping street and Tivoli.

@ Froggitt

Ah i see, it was just the last part in the quot about help that confused me.

But feel free to ask for anything.

@ bloodyridiculous

Langelinie and Nordre Toldbod is in walking distance from downtown Copenhagen.

If your ship is docked at the Freeport Terminal you need to take bus number 26 from monday to friday and in the weekend a short walk to Nordhavn Station and take the S-train to th Central Station.

But remember that the bus is splitting up on the way back to the Freeport Terminal

Thebus goes every 10th minute but you can only use every second departure because they one is going to Langelinie (the cruiseships) and the other will head for F?rgehavn Nord where the Freeport Terminal is located.

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Can you give me info about private tour and or someone to pick up at dock to take to hotel.

reply to my e-mail address please shakehead2@aol.com

Hi Mydaughter (15) ,my sister in law and myself woule like to forgo the traditional excursions in Stockholm and spend the time in a spa getting a massage...I mean where else could you possibly get a better swedish massage than in Sweden???

DO you have any suggestions on how we could do this?

Thank you

Patty

Danish Viking: thanks for the hotel suggestions and the walking tour sites (they're great and we'll most likely do one or the other as we find having them to be most helpful in getting oriented to a new city). Your posts are most helpful and appreciate the time you take with each one.

Chatdad

Hi Mydaughter (15) ,my sister in law and myself woule like to forgo the traditional excursions in Stockholm and spend the time in a spa getting a massage...I mean where else could you possibly get a better swedish massage than in Sweden???

DO you have any suggestions on how we could do this?

Thank you

Patty

Your best bet would be to post your question on the Stockholm board, as a massage in Copenhagen would actually be a Danish massage, not a Swedish one!

@ bayjoens

No you have to ask for the one where the bread is sliced to fit the sausage.

If you ask for a (French) hotdog you will get the ones were the sausage is in the bread.

@ Gooma

Use guides.dk or copenhagenwalks.com

@ vegasgirl702

You will have to get a big taxi to fit 5 persons but they are ready available in Copenhagen.

@ wack001

You have to take bus number 26 or walk up to Østerport Station and take a train to the Central Station.

A single ticket cost 23 DKK.

Travel time is around 20 minutes but you can walk the 3,5 km in aprox 1 hour.

http://map.krak.dk/m/p6Crt

@ Joy2theWorld

All taxis take credit cards but remember to tell the driver first.

Viking, a couple of quick questions. We dock at 5:00, though I imagine we probably won't get off the ship earlier than 7:00 by the time all is said and done, and have an 11:00 flight. What is faster to the airport, the train or a taxi, considering it's rush hour?

Also, do I understand correctly that I can take either the train or the famous bus #26 to the ship from our hotel in the Tivoli area? (It'll be on a Monday).

@ Harry Cane

You can use both the train from Nordhavn (a short walk from the port) and Bus number 26.

The quickest way is to take the bus to Østerport and then take a train to the Central Station/Tivoli area because the bus will take a huuuuuge detour around downtown Copenhagen.

It will take around 40 minutes with public transport (including the 14 minute walk to Nordhavn) and a taxi takes around 20 minutes not including rush hour.

But add around 5-15 minutes to the traveltime in rush hour.

How difficult is it to book a ticket from Copenhagen to Odense? The dsb.dk website is only in Danish. Would you recommend telephoning to book a reservation? Also, do you need a seaticket (pladsbilletter) when making this journey? Is the price included in the ticket price?

We have seen the train schedule on raileurope.com, but the rate they are quoting ($118/person RT + $18 booking fee) seems quite high for a day trip.

Thanks, Danish Viking. You are one of Denmark's national treasures. :)

Paula

Hey there!

An advance welcome to Copenhagen!

The airport is on one end of the island, while the cruise port is on the other. They are quite far away.

What I would suggest doing is purchasing a COPENHAGEN CARD from the airport when you arrive. You can purchase them in either 24 hour or 72 hour time limits. Choose whatever will work best for your stay.

That card is your "golden ticket" to ALL of the public transportation in the city. Luckily, it is VERY easy to navigate the metro, subway, and busses in Copenhagen. You will be quite able to take the subway from the airport and get quite close to the port. You will get off at Osterport. From there, take a VERY SHORT taxi ride to the pier.

This is all VERY easy to do.

In addition, the Copenhagen card will get you FREE or DISCOUNTED admission in to some of the city's top attractions. There is a fantastic "hop on/hop off" bus tour that you can get a discounted rate for with the card. That is the best way to get a lay of the land and determine what you REALLY want to see/do with your time.

Some not to miss items:

Tivoli (regardless if you have kids or not)

Rosenburg Castle (where the crown jewels are)

Amalienborg Palace (where the Queen & her family reside)

The little Mermaid statue is quite close to the pier - so that will be easy for you to see. Don't plan a whole day around her - as she is QUITE tiny.

Any other specific questions?

Cruisin Europe:

Unluckily we will only be in Copenhagen for about 1 1/2 days next month prior to flying to Stockholm to catch our cruise. We plan to stay near Tivoli because of the proximity to airport transportation and already decided to go to the Rosenburg Castle and Amelienborg Palace. Can you suggest a few other top sights and what order we should do them in since we do not have much time?

We thought we would go to Tivoli the one night we will be there.

Also, we like to do things on our own, but is there a short tour of the city that you can reccomend so we can get a feel for it?

Thank you

@ wack001

The church is located close to the Christianshavn Metrostation so it´s very easy to find.

The entrance is 25 DKK.

@ Paula48

You can call them at 70 13 14 15 or at kundehenv@dsb.dk but if you like i can guide you trough the ticketsystem because you can only get the cheap Orange tickets online.

@ DEL67

Some people seems to recommend the Rick Stevens Scandinavia guidebook.

There are a few good tips to see a few pages back or else you can go to visitcopenhagen.com and look for inspiration.

Tivoli in the evening is a good choice but else i will put the canal tour in between the 2 castles.

Archived