First time to Bermuda...What should my family see???

Scoobs9

My family will be in Bermuda in July aboard Caribbean Princess. What are the main attractions to see for a first timer? We enjoy the beach thing and some touring/history activities.

On our first trip in 2003 in almost four days we went to the Crystal Caves, did the Hartleys helmet dive, Horseshoe Bay, shopping in Hamilton with dinner and a three hour taxi tour.

Last summer we were only there for one day and DH and Ds15 did the Segway tour while DD10 and I did the maritime museum and then we all went to Horseshoe Bay for the afternoon.

In 7 weeks for three days we'll be doing the Restless native Catamaran sail, Parasailing, the kids will do the dolphins, Harbour Nights Festival, Horseshoe Bay and St. Georges sightseeing.

Bermuda is fabulous!!

My family will be in Bermuda in July aboard Caribbean Princess. What are the main attractions to see for a first timer? We enjoy the beach thing and some touring/history activities.

We just got back on Sunday and I liked Tobacco Bay... (if you like snorkeling). There was a large snorkeling area as compare to Horseshoe Bay. The water at low tide was very shallow and they had a food shack for refreshments and beach rental chairs.

This was my first time there and I thought the water was a beautiful thing to enjoy seeing.

We just got back on Sunday and I liked Tobacco Bay... (if you like snorkeling). There was a large snorkeling area as compare to Horseshoe Bay. The water at low tide was very shallow and they had a food shack for refreshments and beach rental chairs.

This was my first time there and I thought the water was a beautiful thing to enjoy seeing.

Bermuda beaches are gorgeous! Church Key also had some decent snorkeling.

Did you need (or would have liked) a wetsuit for snorkeling?

There was no need for a wet suit. The water was beautiful and refreshing, it was alittle chilly at first but if the sun is out it will be perfect.

The temperture of the water I was told was in the mid 70's

Thanks for all the insight! Does anyone have a name of a company that is good for a 3-4 hour tour to see the highlights of Bermuda, then maybe a beach? Thanks so much!

We usually pick selected points in Bermuda and visit via their famous buses. The bus ride in itself is a great way to sample the sights and flavor of Bermuda. As far as a tour, we did a catamaran and saw a lot of Bermuda coast along with houses of the rich and famous. Excellent guide and good snorkeling!

http://www.fantasea.bm/

Your cruise line may have a more comprehensive, day-long package that includes points of interest and a beach break. Have fun! :)

YOU MUST DO HARTLEY'S HELMET DIVE! We did that when we were there and had a BLAST. I guess it's Horseshoe bay that has the pink sand beach? That's neat to see too.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks again for the tips! I think we'll try the bus idea. Happy cruising!

The bus is a great idea. But if you decide you want a guided tour of highlights, the taxi drivers on Bermuda are trained to be tourgudes. For approximately $100 per hour they took us on an excellent tour (since my family filled the cab, we thought this was a pretty decent deal). We took one from St. Georges and saw about half the island in an hour, then we took another from Kings Wharf and saw the other half in another hour. You could certainly do it all in one day and see all the highlights. We found the drivers to be friendly, informative and very very accommodating, even stopping at a deserted beach so we could wade in the beautiful water - I sure wish I had my swim suit. For a first visit to the island, it was a wonderful introduction as we felt we got a taste of the locals as well as the sights.

You've gotta do the bus ride on the part that loops back to Kings Warf. We went on a rainy day and got off near the Horshoe Bay enterance and very close to it was this place called the Swizzle Stick Inn (also near the lighthouse tour area) - where the drink the Rum Swizzle was invented (or so they claim). It's a great little bar/restaurant and we enjoyed a pitcher (or two) (they're small) of the swizzle and had conch fritters. Yummy! It was a pleasant way to spend a rainy afternoon - not sure where it and the swizzles went :D ! It was fun to just sit there and soak up the locals. Everyone's so nice and helpful!

Could someone tell me about Tobacco Bay....are there facilities there? Are there public bathrooms and chairs/umbrellas to rent? Also, how far is it from the Swizzle Inn? Thanks!

Yes, there are bathrooms, chairs and umbrellas. Also a little shop selling T-shirts and a snack bar with food, sodas and beer.

Archived