Must do's/eats on Monarch

I'm going on my first RCL cruise next week, the 4 day Monarch, and was looking for must do tips to eat and do on the ship. I know there is a thread all about the Monarch, but i'ts sooooo long! Anybody recently on the ship that can give good tips?

What's not to be missed as far as food??? Entertainment???

We're signed up to do the bartending class in Encenada (sp), anybody done that? Also, what's good to do in San Diego that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks for all your tips, I'm sooooo excited!

Don't miss the Quest; this is not particular to the Monarch, but is on all Royal Caribbean ships. Bring your camera to it too!

I am not sure if the Monarch has Chops or Portofinos, but if they do definitely try them out. They are well worth the surcharge for most people.

Don't miss the Quest; this is not particular to the Monarch, but is on all Royal Caribbean ships. Bring your camera to it too!

I am not sure if the Monarch has Chops or Portofinos, but if they do definitely try them out. They are well worth the surcharge for most people.

Monarch doesn't have a Chops, Portofino or Johnny Rockets. She's pretty boring when it comes to food options :o

###

Not really a tip, but just some info...for breakfast in the dining room, you don't sit at your assigned table, they seat you wherever. It's much better, IMO, than the Windjammer.

They have a midnight buffet by the pool, which is great, if you can somehow manage to be hungry again! The food overall isn't spectacular, but the staff is great, and it is so nice to be served...as I type this I'm wondering what I can possibly cook for dinner:confused: :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Monarch doesn't have a midnight buffet any more. They had a salsa party poolside with some chips, guacamole and salsa, but that was about it. And I believe there's a chocolate buffet on the 4-night cruise.

As for food, the Windjammer serves a terrific dinner. Although you do have to carry your own plate, the food up there is fresher and tastier than the dining room food IMHO. There's an Asian spread on Friday night, including some seriously spicy chicken and a Mongolian BBQ that's fresh cooked to order. We ate up there on formal night and the carved roast was wonderful. On the last night the turkey was great - fresh carved with all the trimmings. We've come to prefer the relative peace and quiet of the WJ to the hubbub of the dining room, which doesn't offer much in the way of an elegant dining experience any more. Although it does serve a killer warm chocolate cake (get it ala mode) on the first night.

Entertainment is pretty run of the mill - one production show, salsa music in Bolero's lounge, Quest, karaoke. They often have a very talented piano player in the Schooner Bar.

I enjoyed the Midway tour. If you want to shop (that could break the bank, LOL), Horton Plaza is about a 15 minute stroll from the pier - Nordstrom is the anchor store. You could also take the ferry over to Coronado Island - it leaves every hour and as I recall costs $6 for a round trip ticket. Once there you can rent bikes to tour the island or just have lunch at one of the eateries by the water. Both options are right along the waterfront where the ship docks.

Monarch doesn't have a midnight buffet any more. They had a salsa party poolside with some chips, guacamole and salsa, but that was about it. And I believe there's a chocolate buffet on the 4-night cruise.

There was much more than chips and salsa on the May 30th 3 day! And as I said, it was by the pool, and it was midnight. Certainly not to be compared to the dining room buffet, but I am glad so much food isn't going to waste. JMO:)

There was much more than chips and salsa on the May 30th 3 day! And as I said, it was by the pool, and it was midnight. Certainly not to be compared to the dining room buffet, but I am glad so much food isn't going to waste. JMO:)

I was on the May 19th 4 day and there was no midnight buffet. My sister has been on the Monarch 3 or 4 times and she said it varies... sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't. lol

Lucky you, then!:) She used to have a full Mexican spread in the Windjammer, but that went away sometime last year. We managed to stay up once and have a taco, just to say we made it to a midnight buffet once. Bad idea - I woke up at 3am with heartburn, thinking I was having a heart attack!:eek: Until I woke up fully, that is.:p

Lucky you, then!:) We managed to stay up once and have a taco, just to say we made it to a midnight buffet once. Bad idea - I woke up at 3am with heartburn, thinking I was having a heart attack!:eek: Until I woke up fully, that is.:p

LOL! That line of thinking has got me into a bit of trouble in the past, also!!:D

We were on the Monarch 4-day June 2-6. I don't remember a midnight buffet other than the chocolate buffet one night in the centrum. On the Ensenada day, there was a poolside barbecue that had tacos, etc. as well as hamburgers and such. I found most of the dining room food okay, though the fillet mignon--I believe it was the second night--was the best I've ever had.

DH pouted about the lack of soft-serve ice cream, but on the second day we discovered regular ice cream in the Windjammer starting at 3:30 every day. We also enjoyed the pizza at Sorrento's during those late-afternoon hungry times when the Windjammer was closed.

We did the aircraft carrier Midway and found it fascinating. It was an easy walk from the ship and we really enjoyed the self-guided audio tour. The docents also gave interesting information about the carriers Nimitz and George Washington which were in port at the Navy base across the channel. The whole thing took us about three hours. As we walked off the Monarch, someone handed us a tourist brochure/map that had a $2/person discount, making it $15 each and well worth it.

Enjoy your cruise! I'm missing it already.

CJJSmith...I read your blog..wow..May God bless your family with health ...and happy lives! lpt

Thank you so much. :) Our family is blessed and we continue to be... We appreciate each other every day. :)

Cathy

I'm so excited! I just booked Monarch for the 4-nighter in August! We wanted to get one last sailing on her before she comes back over here (east coast) and we absolutely LOVED the last time we were on her - one of our best cruises yet (maybe the best??). This thread got me even more excited!!!

Thanks everyone!!!! :) Keep the tips coming!!!!

I'm so excited! I just booked Monarch for the 4-nighter in August! We wanted to get one last sailing on her before she comes back over here (east coast) and we absolutely LOVED the last time we were on her - one of our best cruises yet (maybe the best??). This thread got me even more excited!!!

Thanks everyone!!!! :) Keep the tips coming!!!!

My sister and husband are going on it August 11th with about 6 other couples... I am sooooooo jelous!

She's a neat ship with a great crew. DD and I were just on the May 26th-30th midweek voyage. They had a poolside Mexican buffet at about 3pm on the Ensenada port day, and a midnight "chocolate" buffet on another night.

The dining room was the same menu as last year when DH and I went same itinerary, but much better quality and preparation this year. We are booked for another Monarch cruise--the 3 day this time though--in August also.

Re San Diego activities--it really depends on your interests and how active you want to be. There's the Zoo, Seaworld, etc (Metro buses and trolleys run every 15 minutes from most of the popular spots and cost $2 per person, if you want to arrange your own transport and tickets for a bit of a cost savings)....DH and I went sailing on the bay on one of the 'America's cup' vessels last year...there's also bicycling, sightseeing, shopping, kayaking, sunbathing/beaches...too much to list. ;)

Have a wonderful trip...:)

The french toast in the morning in the dining room was wonderful. We also enjoyed the Mexican food in Ensenada, though I'm still not sure about the mariachi music to accompany it. ;) Best guacamole ever for me.

Most of the Asian dishes in the Windjammer for lunch were good. And there was an internationally themed buffet line each day for lunch - I remember Greek and Filipino specifically. I don't remember anything remarkable in the dining room for dinner, but the food was solid. The only pay restaurant onboard is Jade (sushi and basic Japanese salads/soups) but we didn't try it.

It is a great ship and a terrific crew. I'm sorry there are fewer of the smaller ships out there these days.

Archived