Heinbloed: Warnemunde to Schwerin Castle area?

Is this doable? Our ship is docked for the day and I don't want to go to Berlin. Is it easy to get around? How long is the train trip? Or would you suggest something else?

Thank you very much!!

Check here for the answer:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14984034#post14984034

and please check for the first four pages of this North European Thread for postings related to Warnemünde.

You'll find a lot of options to combine.

Personally I would go Lübeck - Schwerin in combination due to early arrival and late departure.

Check the postings and I am glad to help you after your decision.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...
I believe that there is an car rental agency in Warnemunde (near the port).

Yes - there is more than one.

Would you know which one?

Yes - I know which one.

And I think you would like to know which one...

Hertz - book via Rostock, St. Petersburger Straße - Counter next to Cruise Terminal Building in "Baltic Point". Counter occupied as ship's gangway is not taken away.

Europcar - they have also an outlet there but you cannot return the car if you want to return later than 18.30 hrs and they charge you for delivery.

Regards,

Tien-Lun Yao

Thanks to all the info. from Heinbloed we rented a van (Europcar), we were six in our group and drove to Schwerin. We asked for an english GPS - this was VERY useful and we had a GREAT map. The GPS wanted us to use the autobhan, but since we wanted to go the scenic route, we input the smaller towns from our map and that way we were able to go the scenic way! The drive was very scenic and very easy. We loved Schwerin and were glad we did this.

Heinbloed,

You have convinced me that a trip to Lubeck and Schwerin are the places my dh and I would like to see while in Germany. We will be on the Century arriving in Warnemunde on August 11th. Because of our late arrival time, 9:00 am, will the train's schedules allow us to travel to both cities and have adaquate time in both? If so, would you mind helping me with the times of departures and arrivals? If you see time to spare in our schedule would you suggest a "must do or see" for Warnemunde. Your advice on these boards have proven to be invaluable.

Many thanks,

Nesa

You have convinced me that a trip to Lubeck and Schwerin are the places my dh and I would like to see while in Germany. We will be on the Century arriving in Warnemunde on August 11th. Because of our late arrival time, 9:00 am, will the train's schedules allow us to travel to both cities and have adaquate time in both? If so, would you mind helping me with the times of departures and arrivals? If you see time to spare in our schedule would you suggest a "must do or see" for Warnemunde.

Your departure from Warnemünde is 23.45 hrs.

Let's see what you can do after a walk through Warnemünde:

DB BAHN

Timetable information

from Warnemünde to Schwerin Hbf

Station/Stop Date Arr. Dep. Line

==================================================

dep Warnemünde at 10:37 S1-trains from platform 4

arr Rostock Hbf (Central Station) at 10:58 at platform 1

dep Rostock Hbf at 11:04 RE 33008 from platform 6

arr Schwerin Hbf at 12:01

Duration: 1:24, runs daily

Normal fare:

16,10 EUR (2nd class), 25,80 EUR (1st class)

DB BAHN

Timetable information

from Schwerin Hbf to Lübeck Hbf

dep Schwerin Hbf at 14:47 RE 33134 from platform 2

arr Bad Kleinen at 14:59 at platform 2

dep Bad Kleinen at 15:04 RE 5306 from platform 3

arr Lübeck Hbf at 15:56

Duration: 1:09, runs daily

Normal fare:

12,80 EUR (2nd class), 20,50 EUR (1st class)

DB BAHN

Timetable information

from Lübeck Hbf to Warnemünde

dep Lübeck Hbf at 19:04 RE 21631 from platform 6

arr Bad Kleinen at 19:55 at platform 3

dep Bad Kleinen at 20:02 RE 33017 from platform 2

arr Rostock Hbf at 20:52 at platform 6

dep Rostock Hbf at 21:01 S1-train from platform 1

arr Warnemünde at 21:21

Duration: 2:17, runs daily

Normal fare:

22,00 EUR (2nd class), 35,20 EUR (1st class)

You see the prices.

But all you need: 1 Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 25 EUR (2nd class) or 45 EUR (1st class). It's valid for 5 persons. So your DH and you can invite other nice cruise-mates for free to join you.

To buy:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/DB-Long-Distance-Ticket-Machine-MV.pdf

To walk around:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Warnemuende.pdf

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Schwerin.pdf

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Luebeck.pdf

So you can do both cities at one day during your call in Warnemünde. And for both of you just for 25 EUR = 40 USD.

Have a great day in Schwerin and Lübeck!!!

Willkommen in Deutschland!!!

Welcome in Germany!!!

HeinBloed

Hello HeinBloed:

If we didn't want to take a train...can you recommend a private tour company that provides a day trip/ guided tour to Lubeck and Schwein from Warnemunde in the AM returning back to

Warnemunde to cruise on much later that same day?

We could get a small group together and split the cost.

Thanks

If we didn't want to take a train...can you recommend a private tour company that provides a day trip/ guided tour to Lubeck and Schwein from Warnemunde in the AM returning back to

Warnemunde to cruise on much later that same day?

We could get a small group together and split the cost.

Check here:

http://www.m-vp.de/2465/english/preise2.htm

But driving yourself is in this area like driving in Maine!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Just to put in my two cents' worth, we were on the Century two weeks ago, and decided to visit Lubeck and Schwerin, using HeinBloed's excellent instructions. We rented a car at Hertz by the dock (in advance) and went to Lubeck, then Schwerin, and then on the way back we stopped at a little town called Wismar, which he had also suggested. We enjoyed Lubeck somewhat (make sure you pick up stuff at Niederegger's to bring back to folks as gifts- everybody drooled over it when we got back, and we wish we would have brought back more), and the castle at Schwerin is truly spectacular. But for us (yes, tastes differ), we absolutely adored Wismar...the historic section had the most charm, and we ended up having supper (and German beer!) at a cafe in the main square. We only wish we had gone there earlier, because they do not get a lot of tourists it seems, and it was very quiet and the shops were mostly closed. But check it out on the map, and if you have time (it is not far from Warnemunde) on your way back, think about stopping there.

By the way, we also had a GPS (but in German) although we did not specifically ask for one, and it was very useful.

Have a great trip!

I cannot thank you enough, Heinbloed, for all of the wonderful advice you so freely provide. You are always so patient even when we seem to ask the same questions over and over. Many thanks!

Nesa

Just to put in my two cents' worth, we were on the Century two weeks ago, and decided to visit Lubeck and Schwerin, using HeinBloed's excellent instructions. We rented a car at Hertz by the dock (in advance) and went to Lubeck, then Schwerin, and then on the way back we stopped at a little town called Wismar, which he had also suggested. We enjoyed Lubeck somewhat (make sure you pick up stuff at Niederegger's to bring back to folks as gifts- everybody drooled over it when we got back, and we wish we would have brought back more), and the castle at Schwerin is truly spectacular. But for us (yes, tastes differ), we absolutely adored Wismar...the historic section had the most charm, and we ended up having supper (and German beer!) at a cafe in the main square. We only wish we had gone there earlier, because they do not get a lot of tourists it seems, and it was very quiet and the shops were mostly closed. But check it out on the map, and if you have time (it is not far from Warnemunde) on your way back, think about stopping

there.

Floridahockeyguy-

I know this is off topic here...but an not sure how to start a new thread to you directly so I hope no one minds. Based on your screen name I am assuming you are a hockey fan. My son is a huge hockey fan. A lot of his favorite players are Scandavian and Russian and he wondering if there are any hockey sites to see in these ports, or if there is a lot of hockey memorabilia sold at the souviner type stores. I have not had much luck finding anything on the internet. Let me kown if there was anything that stuck out for you. Thanks!

I know this is off topic here...but an not sure how to start a new thread to you directly so I hope no one minds. Based on your screen name I am assuming you are a hockey fan. My son is a huge hockey fan. A lot of his favorite players are Scandavian and Russian and he wondering if there are any hockey sites to see in these ports, or if there is a lot of hockey memorabilia sold at the souviner type stores. I have not had much luck finding anything on the internet. Let me kown if there was anything that stuck out for you. Thanks!

Well, you are very astute. I was raised in Canada, where you learn to play hockey before you can walk.....and all my bones and joints ache to prove it. But at least I have all my teeth!

Well, to be honest, I did not search out anything to do with hockey on the trip because of the season (June). I am sure there would have been more opportunity during the season, and although there may have been some hall of fames, etc., I felt for this trip that I would concentrate of the history and beauty of the ports we were visiting.

In Russia, though (as well as on Celebrity during their Russian Bazaar), there were hockey sweaters for sale with the names of current and former hockey stars, including some with the old CCCP name in the front. including the sweater of Valeri Kharmalov (your son is probably too young to have ever seen him play- he was killed in a car crash when he was 33- but he was probably the second best player I ever saw play the game, besides Bobby Orr).

In short, despite these cities loving their hockey and producing some outstanding talent, I am not sure you will find much to satiate the hockey appetite during a summer cruise. Sorry I could not have been of more help to you.

We did this last week on Century

Here is the excerpt from my cruise review

We had arranged a hire car from Hertz. When you book on line make sure you request the St Petersburger Strasse location in Rostock. The pickup is in the building on the right as you disembark. There were only one other couple that we saw hiring a car. It cost around €70 for the day. We drove though Bad Doberan to Wismar which is a pretty old town (but we collected a parking ticket there!), then down to Schwerin with its beautiful castle. If you are there at lunch time I can recommend Kartoffelhause No 1 on the corner of Puschkin strasse and Schlosstrasse. #61 on the menu is called Auflauf and it is like lasagne made with potato instead of pasta (kartoffel means potato so you get the theme). Lunch cost €25. We then drove on to Rostock. After returning the car (and leaving €5 for the parking ticket) around 6 we walked into Warnemunde itself – what a gem of a town! Simple walk from the ship – turn right, past Hertz, take the underpass to the station, and then the canal lined with restaurants and shops is on your right. Everyone in town was sitting out eating and drinking in the late sunshine. Walk up to the light house and you will get to see the wonderful sandy beach with the most unique deck chairs – I won’t describe them you will just have to go and look for yourself.

We decided not to go to Lubeck as we thought that would be too much time in the car and not so much time in the towns. Hope this helps

Pictures in my sign off.

Renting a car in Warnemunde was a highlight of our cruise a few weeks ago. We followed Hein Bloed's excellent instructions and were delighted with the BMW that awaited us at the docks. We, too, visited all the little sea side villages and Wismar. We had a good road map but the car came with a sat nav system, so while the 2 girls did a bit of shopping the 2 guys fooled around with the GPS and then we were off! BTW the guys loved driving back to the ship on the autobahn! I think the fastest they drove was 150 kph and lots of cars passed us but it seemed quite fast to us! Hope you will have as memorable day as we did. BTW there is a cheap internet cafe in the same building as Hertz right at the dock. And be sure to reserve your car in advance, it is much cheaper than being a walk in customer.

BTW there is a cheap internet cafe in the same building as Hertz right at the dock. And be sure to reserve your car in advance' date=' it is much cheaper than being a walk in customer.[/quote']

I have spoken with Hertz this morning.

If there are cars left they have few for walk-ins but they do not guarantee that they will have cars available on all cruise-ship calls.

First preference do have the customers who prebooked.

Like usually with HERTZ: Same day rentals are extreme expensive.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I rented my car online from Hertz. I couldn't get an automatic or a GPS but I wonder if I call them I can change that. Seems all the special cars were already booked. I wonder if a lot of people are giving Berlin a pass? It seemed like a long day, without A/C on the train for a lot of money. I think we will get a better look at Germany this way and am quite excited.

I rented my car online from Hertz. I couldn't get an automatic or a GPS but I wonder if I call them I can change that. Seems all the special cars were already booked. I wonder if a lot of people are giving Berlin a pass? It seemed like a long day, without A/C on the train for a lot of money. I think we will get a better look at Germany this way and am quite excited.

Check here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15348803&postcount=12

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks. I emailed my request and shall see what happens. Does the rental counter give a local map like they do in the US?
Julia at Hertz in Warnemunde gave us a map of the whole of Germany! There is a small stall in the corner and I bought a more local map for €2.95 which served us well for the day.

HeinBloed,

Can you help me please?

I will be arriving in Warnemunde on a Sunday and have decided to explore that town and perhaps Rostock rather than go to Berlin.

Will anything be open? I am certain that the bars and breweries are closed, but will there be any cafes open along the canal? Shops? Anything? I was in Magdeburg on a Sunday and the only thing open was a fabulous flea market!

Thank you very much.

Jana

HeinBloed,

Can you help me please?

I will be arriving in Warnemunde on a Sunday and have decided to explore that town and perhaps Rostock rather than go to Berlin.

Will anything be open? I am certain that the bars and breweries are closed, but will there be any cafes open along the canal? Shops? Anything? I was in Magdeburg on a Sunday and the only thing open was a fabulous flea market!

Thank you very much.

Jana

Stay in Warnemünde or go to one of the other seaside resorts.

They have a lot shops open in the afternoon.

Rostock City itself will not much is open.

If you like to see brewery:

Could something like this be interesting for you???

http://www.brauhaus-trotzenburg.eu/

Regards,

HeinBloed

Oh my gosh, they ARE open on Sunday! I am quite surprised and I thank you very much!

I like to get off the ship fairly early, before it gets too hot and crowded but if you think there won't be anything open in the morning perhaps I'll just stay onboard. If, on the other hand, there is a flea market in town, I'll go play!

Thank you HeinBloed.

Jana

Archived