Boarding denied if no Visa for Croatia

Hi

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this?

We are sailing from Venice to Barcelona on 27th August, with our first stop being at Dubrovnik.

We know that Croatia requires South Africans to have a visa if visiting the country, but I thought I had read on cc that one can get a captains or ships visa for the day.

We had planned to just spend a few hours walking the wall and having lunch, then spending the rest of the day on the ship.

We have now been told that the ships visa can only be issued if one does a ship organized tour, so we thought we would stay on board for that port day.

Now we have been told that we will be denied boarding in Venice if we don't have the visa.

Please assist if you have any experience of this.

Thanks

Roy & Val

Im sure u need a visa. Please dont take that chance. Im sailing on july 5th and got my croatia visa within 2 days. it cost abt $35. I live in chicago. Its a very simple procedure and ships dont take responsibility for cruisers not having their visa. Im not sure if ul be denied boarding in venice , but in my opinion u shud take the visa n check out croatia. its supposed to be Gorgeous! Good luck.

Hi

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this?

We are sailing from Venice to Barcelona on 27th August, with our first stop being at Dubrovnik.

We know that Croatia requires South Africans to have a visa if visiting the country, but I thought I had read on cc that one can get a captains or ships visa for the day.

Roy & Val

I would contact the South African consulate just to be sure.

http://www.mfa.hr/MVP.asp?pcpid=1615&dmid=104#pocdrz

There are some exceptions but not sure if you qualify

Not worth spoiling the trip by not having one if needed.

Lyn

The South African consulate can't answer that, the Croatian consulate would be the one to ask for requirements for South Africans. But even what they say won't matter if the cruise ship does what it wants to do. Talk to the cruise line and get something in writing or purchase the visa.

BobK/Orlando

I don't know about the S Africa question, but the post by the Chicagoan got me paranoid as I am also an American cruising with a Croatia stop. According to http://croatia.visahq.com/ US citizens do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days? Is this info incorrect?

PS So long as I was at that site, here's a link http://croatia.visahq.com/requirements/South_Africa/

I was in Croatia two years ago and I didn't need a visa to get in. Americans don't need a visa to get in but will need one if they stay longer than 90 days.

South Africans do need a visa to enter Croatia and its best to obtain one before leaving for trip.

This might help: http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Croatia/Visa

Thanks everyone for your comments.

It still doen't make sense to me that we need a visitor visa if we don't intend going ashore, but I guess the rules are the rules.

We certainly don't want to take any chances on anything spoiling our trip, so we will ensure that we get the visa.

I really wonder what distinguishes those countries that do require visa's from those that don't?

Thanks for the links posted, especially visahq.com

Roy & Val

Our experience is similar but not the same, still I thought something could be learned from printing it here. We needed a Brazil visa for our recent 20 day TA on Princess. I can tell you that our shot record and visas were checked at embarkation registration. I had the definite feeling that if all paperwork was not in order, boarding would be denied. Substitute Croatia for Brazil, and the story would be the same.

It still doen't make sense to me that we need a visitor visa if we don't intend going ashore, but I guess the rules are the rules.
One thing that I've found (from having to look for cruise visa rules for a South African) is that it can be fiendishly difficult to find out what the rules are if you're calling for the day on a cruise ship rather than entering the country. Many countries will treat you as a transit passenger, for whom there are very often special visa rules (sometimes = no visa required), rather than requiring the full monty. That's why it would really help to get a definitive answer from visa issuing post applicable to you, and you must tell them that you are on a cruise ship which is only stopping for the day.

However, I don't think that it is likely to make any difference whether or not you intend to get off the ship for the day, as everyone on board is generally treated as someone who will get off. Otherwise, there might have to be individualised inspection of every single passenger, which would be a logistical nightmare.

However, I don't think that it is likely to make any difference whether or not you intend to get off the ship for the day, as everyone on board is generally treated as someone who will get off. Otherwise, there might have to be individualised inspection of every single passenger, which would be a logistical nightmare.

This is what puzzles me - we have only been on one cruise before in the Bahamas and I certainly don't remember having to leave the ship with my passport.

So, if 2,000 people are disembarking at a Mediterranean port, does everyone need to produce their passport at disembarkation?

If not, how would they know whether I need/have a visa?

Roy & Val

This is what puzzles me - we have only been on one cruise before in the Bahamas and I certainly don't remember having to leave the ship with my passport.

So, if 2,000 people are disembarking at a Mediterranean port, does everyone need to produce their passport at disembarkation?

Roy & Val

The customs inspectors from Croatia will be seeing all the passports for every passenger aboard before anyone is allowed off the ship. Your question highlights the precise reason why you may be denied boarding the ship at the start of the cruise IF that visa for South Africans in Croatia is absolutely required even if you plan to not get off the ship. INSIST on speaking with someone at the cruiseline offices who will know the exact answer to your question!

Roy & Val

They wouldn't - that's why they'll make you show it before you board and deny you boarding if you don't have it. Unfortunately.

When I first read this thread my first reaction was to agree with lambs2. I have some experience of visiting countries where a visa was required as I was in the Baltic last year. There was no mention from the cruise line and no problems with boarding. However, as we neared Russia, we were constantly reminded that we could not leave the ship unless we were on a shorex or had our own visas. (Not exactly true as private tour companies were also able to send you the paperwork to get you through immigration..I digress, but thought I would mention to allay the fears of anyone reading this.)

I can also tell you that in Russia, and also in Latvia, each and every passport was examined. It was done fairly quickly. We used the shuttle in Latvia, an official boarded & checked all passports before we were allowed out of the port gates, so the checking of passports can be, & is done in certain ports. I have also read reports from returning passengers who mentionned passports were checked in Dubrovnik and you needed to carry it with you.

However, I have since realized these cases were different as the majority of passengers visiting Russia would need a visa or arrangement with the ship. However, in Dubrovnik, most passengers (European, US, Canadian etc) would not need a visa and therefore the ship would not need to make special arrangements here, therefore it would become the passengers responsibility. They couldn't guarantee you wouldn't try to leave the ship in Croatia, so therefore need to check you have a visa before you board.

If it were me, I now wouldn't bother trying to get any further clarification from the ship. I would just bite the bullet, get a visa and then get off & explore the town. I believe it is a beautiful place and well worth a visit.

Have a look at this thread here to give you a few ideas.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783766

Good luck. :)

I would just bite the bullet, get a visa and then get off & explore the town. I believe it is a beautiful place and well worth a visit.

Thanks Sparky, thats exactly what we have decided to do. Can't ruin a holiday by perhaps getting the wrong information from Celebrity.

Dubrovnik, here we come, with our $50 visa's clutched in our hands :)

Roy & Val

No, they don't. But that's only because the immigration authorities either inspect the passports (if they're held by the ship), or the ship's record of passports/documents together with the list of what the ship has checked for, to make sure that everyone on the ship is properly documented.

And that has to be done on the assumption that everyone on the ship is going to get off. Which is why, if you need a visa to get off for the day, you need a visa even if you then choose not to.

Archived