Kid's Activities

barb-ottawa

We were thinking of bringing our 8-year old granddaughter on our next cruise but are concerned she would be bored with two "old fogies". Are the kid's activities more geared to younger kids or would she have a good time with them?

She "should " have a great time . The kids clubs are geard right at that age . My two girls 8/11 always have agood time .. Bring your GD

She'll be in the 8-12 year group, which is a fun one. The kids get to do slightly 'older' activities (scavenger hunts, pizza/movie nights, etc) than the younger groups, yet they are still closely supervised. My daughter enjoyed the Kid's Crew on both of our cruises, and she was in that age bracket.

We will be on the dawn in august. My niece and daughter are 1 1/2 years apart. I called ncl prior to booking just to make sure that they will be in the 10-12 group together since my niece will only be 9 years old.Her birthday will be 4 months later. I was told that I will not have a problem. I wanted to make sure of this before we booked. We would of gone on a different line or a different vacation all together. The girls want to spend time together. Has anyone ran into a problem like this? I am very nervous that when we sign the girls up we are going to run into a problem. I am dreading it.

Thanks

We will be on the dawn in august. My niece and daughter are 1 1/2 years apart. I called ncl prior to booking just to make sure that they will be in the 10-12 group together since my niece will only be 9 years old.Her birthday will be 4 months later. I was told that I will not have a problem. I wanted to make sure of this before we booked. We would of gone on a different line or a different vacation all together. The girls want to spend time together. Has anyone ran into a problem like this? I am very nervous that when we sign the girls up we are going to run into a problem. I am dreading it.

Thanks

We just got off the dream and my nieces were separated as sisters because they fell into different age groups, and not by much either. They are strict about this policy but I assure you they will both have fun in either group they are in, and it's a great way to make friends. I know my son made some life long friends in his kids club group!

Thanks

NCL is very strict about their age groups. Many people have reported that they have tried this and NCL on board staff is very firm in their age groupings. The age of the child at the time of sailing as it appears on the ships manifest is what is used to determine the group the child is placed in. There have been many reports on here and all have said that they will not switch the groups. The reason is quite simple.... if they do it for one child, then they have to do it for all children and the age groupings become meaningless and you get 7 year olds in with 12's, etc.

If you talked to someone at NCL Corporate, they very likely told you what you wanted to hear. NCL Customer Service is famous for doing that. If you don't have it in writing, then you are probably going to have a problem on board and it won't be allowed. I would call back and attempt to get it in writing.

She'll be in the 8-12 year group, which is a fun one. The kids get to do slightly 'older' activities (scavenger hunts, pizza/movie nights, etc) than the younger groups, yet they are still closely supervised. My daughter enjoyed the Kid's Crew on both of our cruises, and she was in that age bracket.

I thought it was ages 7,8,9 and then 10,11,12?? That is what NCL.com says, unless it's recently changed?

NCL's age groupings are:

Junior Sailors - Ages 2-5

First Mates - Ages 6-9

Navigators - Ages 10-12

My daughter has been to NCL Kids club several times. Most recently as a 9 year old and has loved it every time.

Are they still going to give us a problem? Where are they looking at the ages if you sign up when you get on the boat?

It is the age of the child on the day of Embarkation. They will not move a child up or down during the week if they have a birthday.

They will use the ships Manifest to verify the child's age. The Manifest lists the birthdates of everyone on the ship. So unless you provided NCL with false documentation on the birthdate of the child, they will put him/her in the proper group.

I am now sick about this. I did call ncl and they said that there will not be a problem. This is why we booked. Okay, I am ready for a problem.

From the NCL web site:

Your child will be assigned to an age group based on his/her age at sailing. If they have a birthday while at sea, only then they are moved up. Sorry, no exceptions can be made—this helps keep your child safe

I've never heard of anyone being able to move a child up. Perhaps you might have better luck trying to move the older girl down, but I'm not sure they would allow this either. Throughout the week, the kid's crew holds group activities for families that the girls can do together. And even if they are not in the same age group, I believe all the kids are in the same general area of the ship so I'm sure their paths will cross many times throughout the day. Plus, the kid's crew is just a small part of the over all cruise experience. The girls will still have plenty of time to hang out at the pool and at the ports, etc.

I'm sorry you were given incorrect info from NCL and IMO if you have the person's name, I would report him or her.

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you:)

To the OP:

My children were 6 & almost-8 at the time of our January cruise on the Majesty. They participated in the Kid's Crew about 4 times over the week, typically for 2-3 hours at a time. They enjoyed it. They got to play with a Wii, they had a pirate adventure and "took over the ship", they did an egg-drop experiment, there was a cupcake eating contest (no hands permitted), there were games, arts/crafts, they had a night where they all went to dinner together and then to the show (it was a juggling/comedy type show). The kids' crew staff were all very nice young women - well spoken, warm and kind.

This past week on the dream there were numerous times when then older group got together with the younger group and did activities, they ate at a dinner together, went to a show together and did a day of sports fun together. So I wouldn't worry they may be in different groups but most of the time I saw the groups together. My niece and son in separate groups were often holding hands going to one place or another and I even walked by one day to see them sitting together watching a movie!

It will be fine!

I thought it was ages 7,8,9 and then 10,11,12?? That is what NCL.com says, unless it's recently changed?
\

I thought it was 8-12, but she was 10 on the Alaskan cruise and 12 on the Hawaiian (which was NCLA), so perhaps you're right. Either way, she had fun. Lots of fun- couldn't drag her away!

We were thinking of bringing our 8-year old granddaughter on our next cruise but are concerned she would be bored with two "old fogies". Are the kid's activities more geared to younger kids or would she have a good time with them?

They had a butter eating competition on board. It was gross. The kids loved it. The adults especially since they were pouring 10 meals a day into their veins.

Archived