Flam opinions

melos

We don't dock until 12:00, and we leave at 5, so we have to be onboard at 4:30. There are only 2 trains we could take to get back down in time. If we buy through the railway, it's about $62 for adults, my 3 yo would be free. With the ship excursion it's $129 for adults (for tea and waffles), and $124 for kids!

I would hate to have to pay almost triple to go through the ship's excursion, but I'm afraid we couldn't get on on our own. I know we could buy our tix in advance, but the train is at 12:20. What are the odds if the ship is late we'd miss the train?

Anyone do this on your own? Is there an easy way to see if any other ships are going to be there the same day as us?

It would be 28 July.

When we went to Flam we anchored at 10.00 and were tendered off the ship. We went to the station straight away but couldn't get a ticket for the train until 13.10 because the cruise companies had pre-booked tickets for their excursions and the earlier trains were full, so I would recommend pre-booking your tickets on the basis of our experience.

However, as for having time - Flam has only one berth so it depends on whether yours is the only ship there on that date. If, like us, you have to be tendered then I don't think you'd catch the 12.20. (We were docked by the time we got back from our trip as the other ship had left and we took her berthing space so getting back on board was quick - but if you have to be tendered back...............)

I know this sounds pretty negative, but the Flam railway trip is fabulous and given your timings, I wouldn't risk trying to do it myself - we had more time and were lucky to get 13.10 tickets - but we had to stay on the train and just come back as there wasn't enough time to stay at the top and wait for the next train. (Although there's not much to get off for at Myrdhal to be honest - it's the journey which is spectacular).

Apart from the waffles, you don't say whether your ship's trip includes anything other than the train ride. From our ship, the trip was from Hellesylt doing a land/train tour before picking up the flam train at the top and coming down the valley. You would see a bit more that way. The Flam rail trip is fantastic - but if you did the same as us, it is just up and then back down. It might be something else to think about. But $123 for children is unbelievable - what a rip-off! I can see why you would want to try a DiY method.

Good luck with your planning.

Here is a link I found that has information on what ships are in port in Flam on any given day

http://www.flaam-cruise.com/eng/Index.html

It may be hard to buy Flam rail tickets on your own due to the number of passengers in port. The ships do literally have us over the barrel with the cost of the shore excursions.

Thanks, Agnes! Looks like we're going to have 2 other ships there, one that leaves at 1:00 so its passengers wouldn't affect us, but that means we'll have to tender in, so there's a good chance we'd miss the 12:20 anyway. I wonder how the ship can guarantee we won't miss it if we do their excursion? Do people on certain excursions get to tender first?

Our experience on Oceania was that people who booked the ship's excursions

got to go off first. When it comes to tendering, this becomes an even bigger advantage. Another thing to consider is that if you are on ship's excursion and it runs late, the ship will stay late in port. It is obligated to wait. However, if you tour independently and run late, the ship will not wait for you. We do tour on our own, but not when we have to cut it close. I guess you have to decide what the cost of peace of mind is. Whatever you choose, enjoy the trip.

Archived