Antarctica - first sailing of the season?

daffodil_11

Let's say you need to book a sailing early in the season for personal scheduling reasons? Given that you're going with an experienced operator and established vessel, is that particular ship/operator's first sailing that season necessarily one to avoid? I'm concerned with not having the benefit of navigating the same area a week earlier, not knowing where the best spots for wildlife are that year, inexperienced new hires on the staff, etc.

Is the first sailing of the season more "exploratory" than subsequent sailings? Or is this all a non issue? Any opinions appreciated!

Just wanted to add to what I was asking above...

Or might the first sailing be considered more exciting and adventurous and mysterious? This is Antarctica after all!

I guess I'm wondering if this would be a positive or a negative. Or again, possibly a non issue? Thanks again.

scroll down this page to the "When and where do trips take place?" section where there is a breakout by months ... http://www.coolantarctica.com/Travel/antarctica_travel_home.htm. We were happy that we went in January - seeing chicks and pups was important to us. (If the link gets asterisked out, go to the Cool Antarctica site and click the link for Antarctica Travel Guide.

I don't think it's one to avoid if it makes the most sense for your travel schedule.

They know where to look for the penguins since they go back to the same nests every year.

They know where to navigate because they have a sophisticated GPS system on the bridge that tracks the route of every ship over the last several years.

I'm guessing they use experienced staff so there is no break-in period on the first cruise.

It might be a little cooler in Nov. than in Jan.

There will be less guano earlier in the season.

The stage of the chick development will be also different. We enjoyed watching them nest with their eggs in Dec. Seeing the chicks later in the season would be interesting too.

I think the only issue might the amount of pack ice which could prevent you from landing in some spots that you could get to later.

The first trip is usually mid to end october. they also are usually longer & go via Falklands & South Georgia. Plenty of ice & snow about to make it look like Antarctica should! I was there mid dec 06 & also had plenty of "weather" so it looked like the real thing! I have seen photos of essentially the same trip as I did but just 2 months later in february, larger chicks, better chance of whales but very little snow in coastal areas & plenty of guano. Here is a link to the photos of an experienced Canadian pro photographer who did the first trip in oct 07 (had done others before) gives you a very good idea of what you might see that early in season & super photos as well http://www.pbase.com/chardinej/nordnorge2007_trip1

In November 2007 I took the first Voyage on Quark's Ocean Nova. The crew and staff were all experienced and were not an issue. The weather was fine with no snow. There was an issue with sea ice preventing us from doing but one Antarctic mainland landings. We were able to do two landings a day, but all others were on sub-antarctic islands. There was also a lot of walking in snow which can be tiring.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be on the first cruise of the season (mid-October) to the emperor penguin rookery at Snow Hill. October is more spring than summer, so am curious what the weather and ice conditions will be like. If any ship can handle them, it's the Khlebnikov. Will finally get to see Antarctica in genuine nighttime darkness as well. Maybe the aurora australis?

Archived