Hmmm...

cmsmuse

I understand why Carnival made her go to a hospital (She could have had a dangerous brain injury and died on the ship!) but something is being left out of this story...did these people have insurance? They don't say.

http://www.kusi.com/features/turko/19814859.html

I am not sure if its relevant to Carnival if they had insurance or not.. I think and I may be wrong, that the bottom line is the cruise ship is not equiped to handle a medical emergency ie; bleeding on the brain or internal injuries and Carnival had to protect themselves and the two people who were injured

I doubt they had insurance because they were stuck there for 3 days and their mother had to make the arrangements for them to get home.

Another example of why insurance is so important!

We never travel without insurance - yes it is another expense - but there have been too many posts on this site about illness, injury, family emergencies, etc. not to have it.

We don't have a detailed emergency plan, but due to family circumstances we do have an idea of what we would need to do in an emergency - it's just part of the planning process we do in preparing for any travels.

Sounds like their argument is because they left them stranded. Not because they had them see a doctor in Cabo. And don't insurance companies reimburse your out of pocket expenses. Sounds like they had a hard time finding a flight.........

Had to laugh when they talked about their infamous customer service:D

Sounds like the wife had a concussion. Wonder if that was a ship sponsored excursion riding the jet skis?

Every cruise I've been on we have been told to avoid renting jet skis. I know that Carnival tells the passengers not to rent jet skis!

Typical sensationalized slanted reporting. They were sent to the hospital because the ships infirmary is only a first aid station. The women's injury was potentially serious. She did have a concussion from what she said. I would bet that a Carnival rep went with them to the hospital and told them they would not be making it back to the ship. They knew that when they were told to pack. They had the port agents number as well. Not exactly left ALL ALONE. Hitching a ride on a different ship would involve a host of international and US laws.....AND FINES. Don't imagine the couple wanted to pay the fines, do you?

Another poor little love birds vs. the Big Ugly Cruise Cooperation....

The doofus didn't know how to drive a jet ski and injured his lady, that's Carnival's fault??

Dan

Every cruise I've been on we have been told to avoid renting jet skis. I know that Carnival tells the passengers not to rent jet skis!

They conveniently didn't mention that part in the news report. Carnival isn't the Greyhound Bus station where you ship-hop at your convenience.

Typical sensationalized slanted reporting. They were sent to the hospital because the ships infirmary is only a first aid station. The women's injury was potentially serious. She did have a concussion from what she said. I would bet that a Carnival rep went with them to the hospital and told them they would not be making it back to the ship. They knew that when they were told to pack. They had the port agents number as well. Not exactly left ALL ALONE. Hitching a ride on a different ship would involve a host of international and US laws.....AND FINES. Don't imagine the couple wanted to pay the fines, do you?

Another poor little love birds vs. the Big Ugly Cruise Cooperation....

The doofus didn't know how to drive a jet ski and injured his lady, that's Carnival's fault??

Dan

Although I hate to see anyone's vacation ruined, when it's your own fault then you have to take responsibility. In this case, I'm sure the news crew didn't find this couple; they wanted to report how badly they were treated.

Too bad Carnival can't respond with their own explanation of the laws and what's involved when pax sustain injuries in port. :rolleyes:

Another case of "Whiners of the Sea" who obviously didn't bother to purchase insurance and who never read a thing in their documents.

Carnival ships medical staff is not equipped to handle head injuries.... The Doctor referred them to a hospital ashore. That's what he's supposed to do.

It is totally unreasonable to expect that Carnival will hold the ship and it's 2500 passengers in port, paying additional port fees, angering others onboard to wait for a person who may or may not need to be hospitalized.

Also another example of a rot-gut news person who has no idea what he's talking about either....just looking to bash something.....it's all about ratings.

As for boarding the Elation, anyone with any sense knows the impossibility of doing that with all of the Homeland Security regulations and other rules about passenger manifests.

Wonder how much they'll sue for??? They are both seeing dollar signs.....you can bet on it.

We have become a nation of "who can we sue". I fell down a flight of stairs at a Theatre here in Jacksonville. They are steep and not well lit but I am the one who could not keep my feet under myself. I can not tell you how many times I have heard "At least you will be rich" . Why should I sue some place because I can not walk right. I would win, my sister is a lawyer:eek: . Please people take responsibility for your self. Should the cruise ship stay for you? They can't because of laws and cost. If you endanger your life and get hurt in another country you might have to stay for medical care.

I live in San Diego. Turko always sensationalizes everything.

We saw this on the news 2 days ago. Both of us just looked at each other and asked "Didn't they even read the cruise contract?"

I can't figure out why they think they were treated so badly. :confused: :confused:

Geez, the wife herself, said she was woozy and confused. To me, that needs good medical attention.

But then, I always get insurance and read everything carefully. :D

Pat

It could be (if infact it is true what they said) that Carnival gave them a phone number to call if they needed any help. When they tried calling the number they could not reach anyone. Thus where the stranded part came in.......

But then again I am not going to assume anything here because it just shows their side of the story.

Can you believe these people, the wife has a possible serious injury- she wasnt even oriented to where she was, and they think the ships Dr was wrong to send her to the hospital.:eek: It would have been malpractice for her to do anthing but... Sorry their vacation was ruined but thank God she was OK. The way it was handled was right on target!

Mary (RN)

P.S. Get the travel insurance;)

So how long do you think it took for them to file a lawsuit? Im thinking they probably werent off the Island.

I would think his main concern should have been the fact his wife could not remember anything. I don't think Carnival did anything wrong. I think this was an unfortunate accident that they now want to capitalize on.

As far as the news reporter, just another wanna-be story maker.

We are not allowed to travel from the UK without insurance, but even so, to be covered for jet ski's we have to take out a dangerous sports cover, as extra, because the insurance companies themselves, recognise the risks involved in something like this. This case should just highlight the neccessity of having the correct insurance cover for any eventuality, and the need to stay away from any "risky" pastime.

How many other irate passengers would have been interviewed if the ship had delayed sailing to wait for these 2 to receive treatment.

I was hurt and had a possible head injury on an NCL cruise, they also told me I needed to go to the hospital to be checked out before I would be allowed back on the ship. Luckily we were cleared and had enough time to reach the ship, but we also had insurance and I told my DH when we were at the hospital if they weren't going to let me back on the ship, we needed to fly back to Miami. People need to take some responsibility for themselves.

Archived