Yet another fuel surcharge is coming!!

By the way... expect that next surcharge bump to show up on June 27th... book now and avoid the increase...

I understand the need for the surcharge, though I'm one that wishes they would just include it in the fare (and I don't buy the whole commission argument - they currently have a non-commissionable portion of the fare - this shouldn't be any different). While I understand the need, to have an increase 15 days after the last one is ridiculous! They should have increased it more in the first place.

Its a basic accounting practice. Thats why its listed seperatly.

As for the demand problem. Here in Florida, it is actually against the law to sell gas at a price lower than the station paid for it. Yes as silly as that sounds its true. So, if we just stop buying gas the station doesnt sell the gas they paid a higher price for they cant lower it.

Example. Station pays 3.75 for a gallon of regular unleaded. Current price is 3.95. All they can lower the price is to 3.75. So if nobody buys the gas it will have to stay at the 3.75 until they get rid of it. That could be a long time if we dont use it.

Sounds a little far fetched, because we will never stop buying gas. We have to get to work. With no mass transit in this area and my job is close, but way too dangerous to ride a bike to, what do I do. Kepp buying gas is what.

As for greed. The price to extract the oil from the ground has not gone up in the fashion that the futures prices have. In no way does it cost anywhere close to $130 a barrel to get it out of the ground. Last I heard it was closer to $20 to get it. So, where is the other $110 going ( just using numbers here ). I'll tell you where. Its in the pockets of the OPEC nations and the speculators, thats where. Cause it most certainly isnt in my pockets.

Tim

Its a basic accounting practice. Thats why its listed seperatly.

As for the demand problem. Here in Florida, it is actually against the law to sell gas at a price lower than the station paid for it. Yes as silly as that sounds its true. So, if we just stop buying gas the station doesnt sell the gas they paid a higher price for they cant lower it.

Example. Station pays 3.75 for a gallon of regular unleaded. Current price is 3.95. All they can lower the price is to 3.75. So if nobody buys the gas it will have to stay at the 3.75 until they get rid of it. That could be a long time if we dont use it.

Sounds a little far fetched, because we will never stop buying gas. We have to get to work. With no mass transit in this area and my job is close, but way too dangerous to ride a bike to, what do I do. Kepp buying gas is what.

As for greed. The price to extract the oil from the ground has not gone up in the fashion that the futures prices have. In no way does it cost anywhere close to $130 a barrel to get it out of the ground. Last I heard it was closer to $20 to get it. So, where is the other $110 going ( just using numbers here ). I'll tell you where. Its in the pockets of the OPEC nations and the speculators, thats where. Cause it most certainly isnt in my pockets.

Tim

You wont be able to convince some people, they will think your on crack. Heaven forbid you look for information other than whats being washed into yoru brain by the "Network News".

On another note. I prefer the fuel surcharge. That cost can be raised and lowered as needed. If the cost of fuel goes down, they can lower the surcharge easier than the "set" fare for the cruise. I just hope that if fuel cost go down, they will lower the surcharge.

AP

UN chief: Saudi to boost oil production

Sunday June 15, 4:10 pm ET UN chief says Saudi Arabia plans to increase oil production by 200,000 barrels a day

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- Saudi Arabia plans to increase its oil production by 200,000 barrels a day next month, the kingdom's oil minister told U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon on Sunday, according to Ban's spokesman.

The U.N. secretary-general met with Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi in the port city of Jiddah during a one-day trip to the world's largest oil producer.

Farhan Haq, a spokesman who is traveling with Ban, said in an e-mail that the U.N. chief said al-Naimi told him Saudi Arabia would increase oil production by 200,000 barrels a day from June to July. In May, the kingdom increased its production by 300,000.

By July, production should be at 9.7 million barrels a day, Haq said.

Ban also said Saudi Arabia understands that the current price of oil, which topped $139 per barrel earlier this month, is not normal, according to the official Saudi Press Agency.

"The king believes that the current oil prices are abnormally high, and he is ready to restore prices to their appropriate levels," SPA quoted Ban as telling reporters in Jiddah. The report carried by SPA was in Arabic, and it did not say what language Ban spoke in.

Saudi Arabia is concerned that sustained high oil prices will eventually slacken the world's appetite for oil, affecting the kingdom in the long run.

The kingdom has called for a meeting of oil producing and consuming countries on June 22 in Jiddah to discuss ways of dealing with soaring energy prices.

The New York Times reported on Saturday, citing unnamed analysts and oil traders briefed by Saudi officials, that a production increase of about 500,000 barrels per day was to be announced following the meeting.

On Saturday, al-Naim's adviser told The Associated Press that the minister would address the production increase reports the next day. But on Sunday, the adviser, Ibrahim al-Muhanna, said there was no meeting scheduled.

Further attempts to reach al-Muhanna by phone later Sunday went unanswered.

Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil producer, is concerned that sustained high oil prices will eventually slacken the world's appetite for oil, affecting the kingdom in the long run.

Crude prices have reached record highs, surpassing $139 per barrel on June 6 after surging nearly $11 in the biggest single-day price leap ever.

The prices had receded by Friday, with the benchmark light, sweet crude for July delivery falling $1.88 to settle at $134.86 on the New York Mercantile Exchange. In London, July Brent crude lost $1.84 to settle at $134.25 on the ICE Futures exchange.

The current president of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, Chakib Khelil, has said that the cartel will make no new decision on production levels until its Sept. 9 meeting in Vienna. OPEC ministers often follow the lead of the Saudis when discussing whether to increase production to take the pressure off rising prices.

I know how to reduce or even eliminate the fuel surcharge!!! Everyone gets issued an oar!:D Stroke, one, two three; stroke, one two three . . . .

But wait, will they then charge us an additional $9.00 per day for use of the new rowing machine? :p

The good thing is this: The Saudis announced today that they are boosting production. It will be increased by 200,000 millions gallons a day. This should do one of two things...stop the rise in gas prices or lower them. Let's hope it lowers them.

Archived