Any suggestions when it is REALLY crowded?

CP3o

Looking at GC when 5 large ships in port and a popular time for a land based vacation. Are there any traffic concerns about getting back to the ship?

I notice from Porttime website, it is very rare for there to be 5 ships there at one time, arriving at essentially the same time. Anyone have experience with how GC handles large crowds?

... were there with four ships in late March (including Freedom) and it wasn't too bad ... dock area gets kind of crowded, but the traffic moved along fairly well (although most drivers were driving zanily).

Thanks, I guess that's hopeful. Does the traffic back from 7 mile beach get bad? On other islands, I've heard about not allowing enough time for traffic and missing the ship. I'm a little concerned that all ships have the same 7:30-4ish schedule.

We were one of 7 :eek: ships in January. We decided to get out of dodge and did Nativeways RR&R so we would be gone all day as the streets were packed. On the way back we were in a bad traffic jam (3 or 4 of the ships were still there) which started just on the port side of Sea Grape beach. We juuuuuuust made the last tender. Thankfully the driver had called ahead to the pier so they knew we were on our way. There was a bit of perspiration happening in that van LOL. I could see the ship and at one point we were going to make a run for it but the driver assured us that they've never had anyone left that was with them even if they were a few minutes late. It probably took us 35-40 minutes to make the normal 15 minute run between Sea Grape and the port. I would plan accordingly.

Looking at GC when 5 large ships in port and a popular time for a land based vacation. Are there any traffic concerns about getting back to the ship?

I notice from Porttime website, it is very rare for there to be 5 ships there at one time, arriving at essentially the same time. Anyone have experience with how GC handles large crowds?

I'm so glad I opened this thread. I used to use Cruisecal to find out which ships were in port, but they changed their website. Now I can use Porttime. :D We're going to be the only ship in port in July, hopefully the traffic won't be as bad.

Been to GC many, many times. We always do beach early in the day and then shop in the afternoon.

The number of ships in port does not necessarily affect the traffic issues coming back from 7 Mile beach. It can be impacted by just the everyday traffic of the citizens. There are only two lanes (at some points also a turn lane) and the traffic can back up especially in the later afternoon just from local traffic. A real mess if there is even a minor accident. So suggest that you give yourself plenty of time to get back into Georgetown.

OK - i know this is an old thread..but thought i would throw in my 2cents on GC - when we were there in Dec 06 there were 8 ships in port. It was so crowded that you had to wait in the doorway of shops to merge into foot traffic to get out the door.

when we go back this year - we are getting the earliest tour the heck out of dodge!

:cool:

Archived