Connecting cabins on the Gem

Is there a door between connecting cabins on the Gem or do they roll the wall away in the front of the cabin? I cruised with a friend on the Dream a couple of years ago and we had connecting cabins. When we got into our cabins, there wasn't a door to be found on the wall between our cabins. I went to Guest Services and was told they were connecting. They came to connect them and actually removed the wal between the sitting areras of our cabins. This worked out great for us because we were two single mothers travelling with our kids and it made it one larger cabin with the sleeping areas curtained off. I'm travelling on the Gem with a group of friends and I'm hoping the connecting cabins on the Gem have a door because the connecting cabins will be shared by two separate couples that would need privacy.

We also have 4 balcony cabins together and although only 2 of them connect, we were wondering if the balconies could all connect. I know you can do this on Royal Caribbean and Carnival, but never had a balcony on NCL. Thanks for your help.

Yes, it is a door and when we asked to have the divider on the balcony opened we were told that they will not do that because of the doors slamming when on the water. Did not make sense to me but who was I to argue...:p

Is it true that they don't open connecting balconies on the Gem. We have 4 families travelling together with 4 balcony staterooms in a row and were expecting to be able to open up the four balconie. I've done this on Carnival and RCL without a problem.

Is it true that they don't open connecting balconies on the Gem. We have 4 families travelling together with 4 balcony staterooms in a row and were expecting to be able to open up the four balconie. I've done this on Carnival and RCL without a problem.

Since no one else has responded I'll take a stab at it... I believe I've read that the stewards will open the dividers, but only while the ship is in port. I think they don't want them slamming back and forth with the ship's motion while underway.

We had 3 cabins on the Star for our Jan. cruise 1 AB PH connected with a mini-suite, (doors in both cabins that each had to open to get access) with another mini-suite next to it. We asked the butler if the dividers on the balconies could be opened and in 15 min. the room steward came with the special key and opened the two so all 3 cabins balconies where connected. We had them open all 10 days of the cruise. The doors are really heavy, but we put the chaise or small table to keep them from closing as we had our 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 yr old GD's going back and forth all the time. ( You know how kids that age like to slam doors:eek: ) It worked well for us.

Thanks forthe answers. I guess it depends on the cabin steward as to whether or not the dividers can stay open for the whole cruise or just while we are in port. We always bring bungee cords to hold the doors open. That would solve the slamming problem.

Archived