ryndam; mex riv & sea of cortez land tours

pennstateray

When I went in Oct.07 it was $399 usd. I think it has gone up since then. While I'm sort of glad I went...knowing what I know now....I wouldn't do it again. I have a short attention span and it was way to long of a day for what I got out of it.

Thanks. That's in the range I expected it to be in.

I have another question related to this cruise - since we have never cruised HAL before, we aren't familiar with anything about the line or the Ryndam. DH is52, I'm 43, and DS is 7. So add a year and a half to those ages and that's what we'd be by the time we could do this. It's over DS's spring break (mostly :rolleyes:), but it's a 9 day cruise. Considering that parts of the country will also be on spring break, should we expect many children on board? We've not ever cruise over spring break before either. I know on typical Caribbean 7 day cruises, there will be many, but with this being a slightlylonger itin and on HAL, I didn't know what to expect.

Thanks. That's in the range I expected it to be in.

I have another question related to this cruise - since we have never cruised HAL before, we aren't familiar with anything about the line or the Ryndam. DH is52, I'm 43, and DS is 7. So add a year and a half to those ages and that's what we'd be by the time we could do this. It's over DS's spring break (mostly :rolleyes:), but it's a 9 day cruise. Considering that parts of the country will also be on spring break, should we expect many children on board? We've not ever cruise over spring break before either. I know on typical Caribbean 7 day cruises, there will be many, but with this being a slightlylonger itin and on HAL, I didn't know what to expect.

From what I have heard there are more kids over a spring break. Can't say for sure as most of the time when I take a cruise at that time it's a longer one. I've had a lot of good cruises on the Ryndam and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Maybe someone else will pipe in about the kid situation.

From what I have heard there are more kids over a spring break. Can't say for sure as most of the time when I take a cruise at that time it's a longer one. I've had a lot of good cruises on the Ryndam and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Maybe someone else will pipe in about the kid situation.

I appreciate your input.

CowPrincess, Topolobampo would not be the place I would choose to kayak. PV, Loreto, La Paz and even Maz all have better opportunities to kayak in nicer waters. It is a very large bay that happens to have dolphin in it. I didn't see anywhere near the dock that I would want to kayak. If you were transported to the mangrove area that would be much more interesting; lots of interesting cactus, plants, huge cranes and other birds. That was the most beautiful part of Topo that we saw. It was my impression that it was not much of a beach over near that restaurant. Remember, bay water, not clear sea water. We talked quite a bit with the locals before choosing to go see Pechocho. We saw the full excursion boats right next to us observing the dolphins in the bay too.

Gordonchick, we are also bringing our 9 year old son on this cruise. The Ryndam is a wonderful smaller ship with mostly very nice public rooms and amenities. The pool and hot tubs area is great, heated fresh water and covered on cooler days. When we went before in March, '07 there were only 5-7 kids around our son's age. But he still had a good time playing with the others and in Club HAL. The club facilities were small but the counsellers were great and Christian really enjoyed them. The ship also has basketball, ping pong and a movie theatre.

HAL is not Princess so the entertainment and live music is geared for older folks. For some dumb $$$ reason HAL stopped putting live music in the Crow's Nest. That leaves the toupeed combo in the Ocean Bar playing ballroom songs for the elderly. Disappointing if you wanted to go out dancing like on other ships. The theatre is funky but the shows were excellent on both our Ryndam cruises. We had a very talented cast. The theatre has some of your grandmother's furniture on a flat, not raked bottom floor.

Exploration's Cafe is a fantastic library/cafe with water views, newspapers, magazines, books, videos, music stations & a coffee bar. It's a great place on a sea day.

We love the Ryndam and this itinerary and can't wait to go again.

Gordonchick, we are also bringing our 9 year old son on this cruise. The Ryndam is a wonderful smaller ship with mostly very nice public rooms and amenities. The pool and hot tubs area is great, heated fresh water and covered on cooler days. When we went before in March, '07 there were only 5-7 kids around our son's age. But he still had a good time playing with the others and in Club HAL. The club facilities were small but the counsellers were great and Christian really enjoyed them. The ship also has basketball, ping pong and a movie theatre.

We love the Ryndam and this itinerary and can't wait to go again.

This is great to hear. Does your son do the culinary lessons? Aaron would love that. He pretends he's cooking with Paula Deen at home. When he watches me cook, he always tells me, "Paula would use more buttah!"

We talked quite a bit with the locals before choosing to go see Pechocho. We saw the full excursion boats right next to us observing the dolphins in the bay too.

Does Pechocho really seem to enjoy the gawkers? I've got a thing about "exploiting" wildlife. If though he likes people and enjoys the company, this sounds like something we'd enjoy. (Skipping kayaking in Topo :) )

Will start looking for a mangrove tour operator.

CowPrincess, he was like Flipper! He came right over to see us and stayed along side so we could pet him. We were the only panga in Pechocho's cove so I don't know if you'll find any tour operators. The much larger excursion boat was out in the bay looking at the several pods of dolphin. Topo is not much of a tourist spot.

CowPrincess, he was like Flipper! He came right over to see us and stayed along side so we could pet him. We were the only panga in Pechocho's cove so I don't know if you'll find any tour operators. The much larger excursion boat was out in the bay looking at the several pods of dolphin. Topo is not much of a tourist spot.

That sounds like a great little excursion for me and DS while DH is doing the Copper Canyon thing!

Archived