If The Captain Is Kind Enough To Hold The Ship

petesweet

I can concur that the Captain can charge for some CRAZY things...While on the DCL Magic in 2002, my grandmother hurt her knee and began running a fever. In St. Maarten, she went to the local hospital (EEEK!) and was deemed "OK." Back on board, the captain REALLY, REALLY wanted us to disembark and leave the cruise, since my grandmother was 90 years old at the time. He presented us with a form letter, that we had to sign, which stated basically that we had to agree to pay all FUEL COSTS incurred in the event that we had to detour the ship to medically evacuate her.

We signed the letter, and took a chance, and were able to HAPPILY finish the cruise. Grandmother felt much better for the remainder of the cruise, so all was well.

Pretty intimidating though...

CeleBrat

The Jewel was very nice for the Baltics trip; however, for some reason we had a late arrival into St. Petersburg. It was bummers for us to come into St. Petersburg at 10:30 when other ships came in about 7 a.m. Fortunately, we arranged a custom tour with Denrus that ran into the evening and we were able to recoup that lost time. You might want to research the arrival time into St. P.

Good bit of norovirus on the ship, but that can happen on any ship. You might want to read my review at .

Our late docking time was well publicized months before we set sail. IMHO, the amount of time we spent in St. Petersburg was more than enough. I was glad to leave that country and get back into a world of ports that actually wanted us there. It was pretty obvious that the Russians who dealt with us did not want us there (again, my experience and my opinion).

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that cruise lines will start dropping St.P from their itens if they continue to treat their pax with such dislike.

Yes ... the cruise lines have to pay big fees for sailing later than expected. The two French couples we left in Stockholm were being taken care of by the gal at the port. They had a couple of days of land vacation before they met the ship in Dover to pick up their luggage. I had no sympathy for them ... a whole ship load of folks seemed to make it back on time.

BTW: our Stockholm sailing time was adjusted after we checked in for the cruise. The reason? If we didn't sail at the earlier time we would not have been able to sail out of the long (GORGEOUS) water way (tide would have been too low). There again ... the earlier sailing time was well publicized and announced.

~d

How about an agreement that we will hold the ship 5 mins. but you will discover a bill for "drinks on the late boarder" for the entire ship. There could be some special bell for everyone to run to the bars because someone is late. Just an idea.

Good one wendolyng!! :D However...who would pay for the ship listing over to one side when everyone runs to the bar?

I think the Captain was pulling your leg. It doesn't cost extra fuel. Sometimes Captains just tell people things when questions are asked that aren't necessarily the truth(does the crew sleep on board? no they have to pay to sleep on board or we fly them in every morning)..

I agree, I think the Captain was pulling your leg.

Never been late to board, but have seen a few scrambling. Usually they seem to be on NCL excursions (buses dropping them off). I also agree that it is totally inconciderate to "lolly-gag" when you're already late.

the wife has a habitual habit of being late..but, on cruise s she one

that always want s to be back early..

guessing only..that s she s heard alot of stories about people being left

behind :p

cept late ship tours, medical or JAIL..there s really no reason to keep a

couple thousand passenger eagar to depark for their next destination..

*We did nt know*..just does nt cut it with me..getting back to ship on time is posted on TA sites as well as the cruise lines..also, they re published many time s in their literature..posted at the gangway and announced repeatedly over the intercom..

SO HOW THE HELL DO THESE PEOPLE..have the gall to return to the ship

so casually and expect any consideration..:confused:

You'll note the fuel comment was just my assumption. Other later comments gave the real reason - that the ship has to pay big time for every minute they remain over their scheduled departure time.

(Don't know why it would not cost more for fuel, though: The engines are fired up and ready to go, and that costs money, I would think.)

At most ports they aren't paying by the hour for docking. The Engines are diesel electrics..its like starting your car you don't turn them on until you are actually ready to go. So he doesn't start the engines until he ready to order movement. Its not like what you see on old TV movies about getting steam up to have the steam turn the engines which did take time. there are seperate engines for making electricity that run all the time anyway.

Hey iheartbda, I love the video link you sent. I can't believe the ship allowed that guy back on!!!

Also, I think the ship should just throw over one of those life rafts and tie it to the back of the ship and let them swim out to it and ride it to the next port of call!!!

OR, maybe the Captain could simply stop moving and make the passenger swim to the nearest opening where they could be hoisted back onto the ship.

No, I like my first idea better, make them grab the life raft and ride it to the next port!

That'll teach them to never be late again!!!!! And everyone that sees it will also know not to mess with a ship and its Captain!!!!:mad:

Our late docking time was well publicized months before we set sail. IMHO' date=' the amount of time we spent in St. Petersburg was more than enough. I was glad to leave that country and get back into a world of ports that actually wanted us there. It was pretty obvious that the Russians who dealt with us did not want us there (again, my experience and my opinion).[/font']

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that cruise lines will start dropping St.P from their itens if they continue to treat their pax with such dislike.

Yes ... the cruise lines have to pay big fees for sailing later than expected. The two French couples we left in Stockholm were being taken care of by the gal at the port. They had a couple of days of land vacation before they met the ship in Dover to pick up their luggage. I had no sympathy for them ... a whole ship load of folks seemed to make it back on time.

BTW: our Stockholm sailing time was adjusted after we checked in for the cruise. The reason? If we didn't sail at the earlier time we would not have been able to sail out of the long (GORGEOUS) water way (tide would have been too low). There again ... the earlier sailing time was well publicized and announced.

~d

Dianne, you must have had a bad experience in St. P.??? I'm sorry about that. What happened? We had a terrific time. I've traveled independently in Russia on two other occasions and also had a good time.

We'll always remember the cruise where the ship could not leave port. We had completed the trans Atlantic and had dock in St. Johns, Newfoundland for the day. Upon preparation for departure, the band played, the mayor spoke of how pleased we had come to his city and all the preparation for departure, although somewhat late, commenced. But hour after hour we sat there. Then the Captain came on the PA system to advise us that due to regulations governing the amount of time a pilot may safely operate his craft, the sole pilot could not be used and a replacement

would take some time arriving. The Captain announced that as a result of this condition, we would stay in port overnight.

Pandemonium broke out, not with the passenger but with the crew. They were running about laughing and singing and making plans for their evening of escape for, under these circumstances, those not on duty were allowed to disembark for the evening. For those who know St. Johns, the main avenue is lined with cafes, bars and discos and the passengers' evening ashore was pleasantly shared with the crew in all of them. Fun, enjoyable and memorable making our late arrival in New York the next morning less stressful.

It must be a mess if you miss the boat! What would be the first thing you would do?

CRY! (then I'd probably try to find out if the Harbor Master could help me get to the ship - I've seen some get put on small boats that 'catch up'-I bet that's not cheap either!!!. If not, it's time to figure out how to get to the next port)

Archived