Boarding Question

TravelResearcher

We're taking an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver on June 22, after spending four days on Vancouver Island with a group of people in a rented house. Our ship leaves at 5:00 p.m.--we can board after 12:00 noon.

My question--others in our group (large group) have booked a 12:00 noon ferry from Vancouver Island on the 22nd. That seems late to me when you consider sailing time (1 hour and 35 minutes), time to get off the ferry with cars (?), driving time from dock to Balantyne Pier (45 minutes), time for the driver to drop off the rental car and get a cab back to the ship (he will drop the rest of us off at the ship)--we will probably be boarding between 3:00 and 4:00. I'm new to cruising--the ones who have booked the ferry at noon have been on several Alaskan cruises. Is a noon ferry enough time?

Keep in mind we're renting a wonderful house on Vancouver Island, and an hour more time there with everyone (not all are going on the cruise) is a plus too! Perhaps you can give me advantages and disadvantages of boarding early vs. late.

We're taking an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver on June 22, after spending four days on Vancouver Island with a group of people in a rented house. Our ship leaves at 5:00 p.m.--we can board after 12:00 noon.

My question--others in our group (large group) have booked a 12:00 noon ferry from Vancouver Island on the 22nd. That seems late to me when you consider sailing time (1 hour and 35 minutes), time to get off the ferry with cars (?), driving time from dock to Balantyne Pier (45 minutes), time for the driver to drop off the rental car and get a cab back to the ship (he will drop the rest of us off at the ship)--we will probably be boarding between 3:00 and 4:00. I'm new to cruising--the ones who have booked the ferry at noon have been on several Alaskan cruises. Is a noon ferry enough time?

Keep in mind we're renting a wonderful house on Vancouver Island, and an hour more time there with everyone (not all are going on the cruise) is a plus too! Perhaps you can give me advantages and disadvantages of boarding early vs. late.

Please keep in mind the new government regulations which the cruiselines are required to follow. Below is a link but this is on the front page of Celebrity's web site. You are cutting it close.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000mTC1Krc32dyTzwTNqt9cWRZ:12h3rnd1c?pagename=boarding_your_ship

Archived